Sunday, October 2, 2011

I Really Wasn't Planning to Shop!

OK, I really wasn't planning on shopping this weekend.  I was heading to New Brunswick for a family weekend/birthday celebration. I crossed the causeway from Cape Breton to mainland Nova Scotia, travelled for a few hours, crossed the border into New Brunswick, and then found my way to the reunion cottage on the Northumberland Strait.  I planned on visiting with family, celebrating a few birthdays, (Mom's was yesterday and mine is coming up this week) and just having a grand old time with everyone. 

Who cared that it was supposed to rain for the weekend? Wasn't even planning to go shopping!  And then Saturday morning came, and a spontaneous, "Let's go to Chartlottetown for lunch"  had the 4 of us in the car within 20 minutes and we were off to cross another causeway, this one to Prince Edward Island!  And then the shopping (oops!) began.

We visited the Farmer's Market, a place bustling with activity and wall to wall food, vendors, and artists!  I fell in love with a piece of quilt art created by Kelly Burgess, and with some "birthday" money from family, I am now the proud owner of  "The Clothesline".  It is stunning and now hangs in my sewing corner above my ironing board...total inspiration!  I'm still learning to use my new camera, so the color in the picture is not nearly as beautifuil as it is "in real life", but I had to share anyway! 


The Clothesline is machine quilted and even has Kelly's name emboidered in the corner!


You can see some of Kelly's work at her blog http://www.kellyburgessquilts.blogspot.com/

Then we headed to lunch at a local pub, and what was across the street but a fabric store...honest!  Right across the street!  Quilting B and More in downtown Charlottetown just drew me in.  Found a few treasures in the notion department and then just had to get my hands on some beautiful batik charm packs... I think this is calling out to be a schnibble quilt!

The weekend was wonderful, yes, a little bit of shopping, but a lot of family time and making great memories.  I even found time to finish block 1 of the Christmas Sew Along, sponsored by Lesley Boost at Sew Happy Me. 


I love Christmas!  See you next time!
Lesley

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lesley-- wow, sounds like you have been busy!! I love the clothes on the clothes line. That is so cute. Also , I'm a Christmas NUT!! That is my most favorite time of the year. I really like you santa redwork too. Wish I knew how to do that?! I have one last comment. OK, Cover your ears....SSQQQUUEEEEAAALLLL!!! :):) I told you if you grabbed my button I would squeal with delight.. :):) HUgs--Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your banner quilts my dear and the clothesline well...I have this thing about them...I have done many projects with clotheslines...love this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lesley. What a wonderful Farmer's market that must have been. Your Clothesline quilt is great. I followed your link and looked at her other work. Fantastic. I love the selection of batiks you have chosen. Gorgeous colours. Have fun with all the stitching in the Christmas Sew Along. It should be fun, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!