Monday, October 31, 2011

Out of My Comfort Zone

Yes, it was time.  Time for me to leave the cosiness of my comfort zone and to try something new in the quilting world.  Who says I am not courageous?  I'm going out on a limb and I'm trying something new!   I joined up for the Modern Mondays and Traditional Tuesdays Quilt Along!  Hosted by Jenifer Dicks at Forty-Two Quilts , the quilt along started in late September, with instructions for a new block posted on every Monday and Tuesday.  By the end of the quilt alongs, I should have two completed quilts, the modern with each single block framed, and the traditional, with sashing between the rows.

So, first up was to choose my fabrics.  No problem with the traditional fabrics...I have a great "go to" stash.  But what to do about the modern fabrics?  Online shopping or a trip out of town to a fabric shop?  Not needed when you have a friend who is so very generous that she listens to the excitement in your voice about your upcoming projects and immediately offers you a treasure trove of modern fabrics to take home with you so you can get started now and not later!

This friend made my day.  The fabrics are just what I would call modern...bright colors, bold prints, simply yummy fabrics! Some will match with the stash, other's won't, but I'm brave.  I know at the end of this project, I will choose some neutral fabrics for the frames and it will all come together.  Or at least, that is my goal!  This is what my friend donated to me for my foray into the great unknown.  Aren't they gorgeous!  And isn't she wonderful?

P.S. This same friend is a wonderful quilter and also makes phenomenal hooked rugs.  Here is a tablerunner that my friend finished recently.  It made its way to my home and is now adorning my dining room table...I just love it!
Ok, back to my project.  So, with fabric in hand, it was off to my sewing corner.  In no time at all, the modern block was completed, which certainly looks a little 'crazy' to someone like me, but it may have potential down the road. The traditional block actually took a lot longer to make and might need to be revisited as my 1/4 inch foot seems to be much larger than 1/4 inch!  Now remember, these are only the first blocks. Can you guess which is modern and which is traditional? (Chuckle, chuckle.)


So now on to more Modern Mondays and Traditional Tuesdays.  Thanks so much to Michele at Distracted Quilter 'cause she's the one who brought this to my attention.  I know it's going to be so much fun!

Before I go, I have to tell you about a really wonderful prize giveaway.  Whenever I do this, please know that I really want to be the winner, but I have learned very quickly that blog land is all about sharing, not about being greedy or selfish.  So if I can't win, I will be very happy if you win!   To find out more,  please visit Connie at Quilting by the River. She gives you four chances to win gorgeous fabrics to make a gorgeous quilt. (I know I need more words in my vocabulary, but there just aren't enough words in this language to describe the beauty of so many of these quilts and fabrics!)

Thanks for dropping by! I've got to get to my sewing corner now,
Cheers and Hugs,
Lesley

2 comments:

  1. Great start and some pretty scrumptious fabrics to work with. It's always fun to share with others working on the same projects and see how different the blocks look in their fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a very interesting Quilt Along.....sigh....I already had 2 going. Thanks so much for the link to my giveaway and good luck!
    Quilting by the River

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!