Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Welcome Wagon for New Bloggers

I discovered a neat place for new bloggers like me.  Lynne has created a unique opportunity for bloggers who are new to the blogging world with less than 50 followers.  She calls it the Small Blog Meet

You can link to her post through the button on the far right. The Small Blog Meet is a great way for newbies to network with each other, support each other, and visit each other's blogs. It's like a welcome wagon when you move into a new neighbourhood!
And of course, any "oldies" out there are encouraged to peek at the list of new bloggers and visit us too. You might be pleasantly surprised! 

 
Lynn's number one rule for the Small Blog Meet is for the newbies to tell you about ourselves and quilting.  OK, this may show my age ( but so does the grey hair in my profile), but I started quilting in the early 80's when a few friends got together, purchased Eleanor Burn's "Log Cabin Quilt in a Day" book, and started ripping strips. Remember this?  Even back then, I chose to make the lap size quilt!

Fast forward to 2011.  I have quilted since then, some years more, some years less, sometimes large projects, and sometimes small.  Through all this time, I have had two wonderful children, am in my 33rd year of marriage to a great guy, am a teacher by trade, having taught children and adults, and now work at a library. I love to read and I love quilts.  Fabrics and books hold the same fascination for me!  Here are a few of the books I've used over the last couple of decades (that sounds so long!)  Do you recognise any titles?

I have made bed quilts, crib quilts, lap or as I call them, "cuddle quilts", wall hangings, tablerunners, and lots of Christmas projects.  I have purchased a multitude of patterns and books over the years and have also found lots of free patterns while visiting quilting sites and blogs.  In blog world, I quickly joined a few quiltalongs, sew alongs, some block of the month projects and I just love it all!  On the weekends and some evenings, I sit at my sewing machine table with my laptop on the table behind me and go back and forth from sewing machine to laptop!

I get tremendous satisfaction out of giving away my quilts to someone I care about.  It may sound crazy, but  it almost seems selfish, because when I give someone a quilt, I feel so good!  It's all about me! And luckily for me, my family and friends seem to appreciate my quilts, so I like to keep on giving!   Sometimes I have a reason to make a quilt, but very often I make a quilt just because of the fabric, a new technique, pattern, or a designer.  I usually hand quilt but sometimes have a project machine quilted by someone if it's too large or I'm afraid I'll run out of time.

These days my projects are small, like cuddle quilts and of course, my newfound fascination with Schnibble quilts by Carrie Nelson. I love saying "Schnibbles!"  I just finished putting this Hot Cross Schnibbles quilt top together this week, using the Christmas charm packs called  Jovial by Moda.  The pattern is in Carrie's first book, "Schnibbles Times Two".


Why did I decide to start a blog?  Because I liked what I saw and I liked what I read.  For a few months, I read a few blogs, returned to a few favorites, then decided to take the next step.  I created a profile and followed  privately.  And then after awhile, it just wasn't enough.  I wanted to jump right in and start sharing projects and commaraderie with the wonderful folks in the quilt blogging community. 

I like to write, I like to quilt, I like to share, and through this blog, I can do just that.  It provides me with a pictorial history of my projects and a link to others just like me!  As someone who works Monday - Friday, I don't always have the energy to meet with friends to spend the night quilting, but even in my jammies, at 9 o'clock at night, I can participate in a quilt along, or read a blog, or make a comment, or just get inspired!

Thanks Lynne, for a chance to meet some new quilting friends, and thanks to my followers and new friends who have been so generous with your assistance in answering my silly questions! Thanks to you for visiting me, and I'll try to keep the posts shorter in the future so you'll be back!

Cheers and Hugs,

Lesley

2 comments:

  1. It's great to read about you and get to know you better, thank you.

    I looked at your books and I did have the Cozy Cabin Quilts, but I'm not sure where it is now. I guess I lent it to someone and it never found it's way home again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun to read about you and your quilting! Of course I recognize some of those books....remember Georgia Bonsteel? I had all of her books. I was making 9 patch quilts and I think my first book was Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt. I recently blogged about it, I made it in 1989.
    http://conniekresin.blogspot.com/2011/08/log-cabin-quilt-from-1989.html

    I really like small projects anymore too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!