Tuesday, November 29, 2011

2011 Christmas Quilt Show


What an exciting week for quilters and those who love quilts!   From November 28-December 2,  Darlene, at  Sew Cal Gal is hosting a Christmas Quilt Show! Anyone can enter a Christmas or Winter-themed quilt. If you're interested, all you have to do is take a picture of your treasure(s) and post on your blog this week. For more specific rules, check out Darlene's blog...the more the merrier!   It's pretty amazing when you can submit a quilt and attend a quilt show while still in your jammies and at any time of the day.  Especially perfect for  women of a certain age who don't sleep much...chuckle, chuckle!

It was a tough decision for me as to decide what to submit.  I do love Christmas and have lots of quilted items that come out of hiding for the month of December.  I eventually narrowed my list down to two of my favorites.

The first is Jolly Days, a Santa wall hanging sewn with a combination of cottons, brushed cottons, homespun checks and plaids, and wool. Many of my blogging friends will appreciate that I used wool in the project and it may be time to use more since it's a very forgiving fabric!   Machine applique and a little hand quilting completes the project.
A little close-up.  I love Santa!
Don't you just love his mittens?
The pattern and kit was created by Kim at Harbour Quilt Company in Antigonish, Nova Scotia.  I really like the fact that it is narrow (11 inches x 36 inches) so fits pretty well anywhere.

My second entry for the show is Christmas Cheer.  

 This was so much fun to make!   The pattern is in the book "Cabin Fever"  by Whimsicals.  The pattern actually called for painting on the letters, but I chose to use fusible applique.  I did some machine applique and hand quilting to put my own slant on it.




So there you have it.  Just a couple of projects to enter this year.  Maybe next year I'll have a full-size quilt to show!  I've already peeked at some of the entries, and there are some beautiful larger quilts that would sure look nice on the bed next Christmas!

The entries are already pouring in to Darlene's site and you'll fine lots of stunning quilts there to admire and be inspired by!  On her site, you'll see a listing of all the entries and all you have to do is click on a name and you'll be taken immediately to that person's blog to see their Christmas or Winter entries.

You can even get a little more involved 'cause there is voting for a Viewer's Choice Award on Saturday and Sunday.  Darlene has more specifics about this, but essentially, you look, you choose your favorite, and you leave a comment.  So you can be a quilt judge!  How neat is that?  So don't delay...hop on over to SewCalGal and start the show! 


Thanks for dropping by.  It's a great day for quilting!
Cheers and Hugs,
Lesley

51 comments:

  1. Love those. Thanks for sharing.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey SWEETS!! I love both of your Christmas quilts!! You did a fab job!! I'm very happy you joined this quilt show!! Hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love his mittens, and I love the total wall hanging. Christmas Cheer is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love the 'skinny' santa! A mix of textures just gives such character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them both, and am glad I don't have to choose which is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice to see a fellow Canadian! Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them both, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Santa is adorable with his little pink nose! But the Christmas Cheer really rocks!! that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your after my heart, I love applique! Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a couple of nice pieces to show....but the Santa wall hanging is especially lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are both so neat that I don't know which one is my favorite! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't Christmas Cheer just the perfect greeting for the season!
    I love the skinny Santa and they way it contains a range of fabrics. I do agree that being skinny it is able to fit in many places. There is always that problem of trying to fit everything in.
    Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty!! I love all things Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Christmas Cheer! The border rocks (I'm crazy about scrappy piecing!). Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Santa is adorable...and Christmas Cheer is perfect, luv them both, great projects...thanks for sharing...(o:

    ReplyDelete
  17. And he's even your blog background! Very cool, indeed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very Cool Christmas Quilts for the Quilt Show! Thanks for sharing! Love hopping around and seeing everyone's quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sensational Santa, he's so cute!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing your too cute quilt!! I met a lady who took a class with Janet Bolton out your way and she couldn't stop talking about how gracious you all are out there!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Santa is really cool. I really do like both quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Santa is darling! I wish I could do handwork like that. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lesley,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I really love your blog background! Your Santa is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This post has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm wishing for the Go cutter this year. Cute Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like your Merry Christmas sign - love the script.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What fun Christmas pretties you made!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cute projects! I really lve your hand quilted quilt in your more recent post. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. All of your Christmas projects are just beautiful! I am esp. loving that Christmas schnibbles from your most recent post. :o) I am a new follower of your blog.. nice to *meet* you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cute quilts - love Jolly Days!! What a great combo of fabrics. And thanks for commenting on my Snowflake quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Santa is so cute! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  32. these are beautiful, but i'm really in love with your christmas schnibbles!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome quilts. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like that skinny Santa. It is a great size, and I love his mittens too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great projects :-) I like the Christmas Schnibble too! What an adorable Santa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great Santa, and nice work on it, too. I also like the projects you posted in your most recent blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!