Sunday, November 27, 2011

I Made it to the Finish Line!

The Courageous Quilt is finished!  If you recall, this was one of four cuddle quilts I made for the "Mom, Me, and Sisters Three" reunion weekend in mid-October.


This quilt was the last of the four to be put together and I just wasn't able to quilt it in time. But my quilting fingers have been busy lately and the quilt is now finished. I had never used batiks before and the needle would slide so easily through the fabrics, it was a joy to quilt.  I found the pattern for the quilt in the Better Homes and Gardens Spring/Summer issue of Quilt Sampler 2011, designed by Rebecca Weber and Anne Hunter.  I reduced the size of the quilt, chose a package of bright and bold batiks from The Fabric Cupboard  and was on my way!  As you can see, I used shades of blue and burgundy with a punch of gold and yellow for the centers. Piecing was pretty easy using log cabin techniques and I chose to hand quilt to emphasize the rectangular shapes.

Actually, The Courageous Quilt  wasn't my only finish this week.  I put together a couple of mug mats. But don't ask me to put a cup of coffee on them, 'cause I doubt if coffee stains would come out.  Maybe I'll use them for a glass of water, or turn them over and use the backs!


I found the free patterns for the embroidery designs at Jennie Baer's freebies link at Homeberries.   She has patterns for every season and every size. I embroidered the designs on linen and sandwiched them with fusible fleece.




I also finished Block 3 in the Blogger's Block of the Month.  Now you have to admit, this is an interesting block!  Designed by Stephanie Dunphy of Loft Creations, it is called the November Split Star. I enjoyed playing with the fabrics for this block and am really happy with the result.  My lime greens and blues aren't going to match a thing, but the colors sure make me smile.  And from what I see in Blog Land, quilts don't have to match your furniture any more.  Oops, that's dating me...enough said...


What's waiting for me in my sewing corner?  Bows and Boughs, the Christmas wall hanging I started last week.  I've finished all my trees and three of the ten presents.  The quilt is paper pieced...please tell me I'm not the only one who has finished a block and turned it over only to find the fabric doesn't reach all the corners?  So after some trial and error, I have figured out my problem.  I was missing a pretty important step. Now I'm on track and they should go together smoothly. It was really helpful of the kit people to put in extra fabric!



It's a great day for quilting!
Cheers and Hugs,
Lesley  

5 comments:

  1. Isn't retirement grand?

    Look how much you got done in such a short time? It's amazing how liberated one feels without stress and pressure.

    Enjoy the freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your Bows and Boughs fabrics, they are making this quilt adorable!! I found you through Sandra Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You have been getting so much done! Love the quilt made with the batiks. Looks great and I love the colours. Your embroidered mug rugs are gorgeous. I agree, no coffee on these.
    I can't wait to see the trees and presents come together in a quilt. Lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been a busy bee haven't you?

    Your Courageous Quilt is wonderful, I love the colours you used. Did you find batiks were hard to quilt through though?

    The mug rugs are great too and I can quite see why you couldn't imagine putting putting a coffee cup on them. I'm off now to check out the link you gave us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm about to start Bows and Boughs, so it was really great to see that another 'real person' is making one too! Wow, you are prolific!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!