Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Handmade Challenge

Our house is like Santa's workshop at Christmas! My sewing machine is on full tilt, my fingers are busy quilting and stitching, and I love it!  Even Woodworker Hubby joins in with the excitement. Every Christmas, he creates a wonderful surprise for me, made of oak, pine, or something in between. On Christmas morning, I have been surprised and have been overcome with his custom-made gifts of hutches, shelves, tables, quilt hangers, frames and more! In preparation,  he hides away in his workshop for the month of December and tells me I am not allowed in. And because the laundry room is accessed through his workshop, he does the laundry every December (to be honest, he does the laundry most of the time!) Mmm, I hear those machines whirring...


But I digress.  A huge part of Christmas spirit for me is actually in the sewing of the Christmas projects, whether being made for friends, family, or just little ole me! Sometimes the projects are ready in time for this Christmas, and sometimes they'll be ready for next Christmas, but I'm OK with that!  


I've just finished a couple of projects and have decided to enter them in the December Stitch and Share Challenge hosted by the mother-daughter team of Linda and Chrissy at Sew Lux Fabrics and Gifts.  They have a challenge every month and December's theme is "Handmade Holiday".  A random winner will be chosen from the entries which are posted at their site to win a $20 gift certificate from their shop.  Come along and join the fun!  I know a lot of you have been sewing up a storm, and if you win, I know you will be impressed by the wonderful personal service and gift-wrapped packages! 


I'm entering two projects for the December challenge.  The first is a little Christmas embroidery number that hangs on my table stand.   I purchased the stitchery pattern from Cedarberry Stitches
and used it as the centre of the block pattern, "Snow Much Fun" by  This and That Patterns.  




Here's a little close-up. Isn't he a cutie! 






This is the second block I've done for the table stand. My first was "Mr. Ho Ho Ho" and you can see him in my last post.


My second project is a pillow I just finished stuffing.  "Woodland Santa" is a favorite with me already.  The stitchery pattern was  a free pattern designed by Kaaren and posted on her blog, The Painted Quilt, as a First Friday Freebie. Her blog and patterns are amazing and you'll find there's something for everyone in her freebie tutorials. 




I hope you're enjoying these pre-Christmas days and you'll remember to check out the challenge at Sew Lux and link up with your entries.  


I still plan to do a little more sewing before Christmas, especially with all the inspiration I'm getting on a daily basis from the wonderful tutorials that are being offered by guest hosts of Madame Samm at Sew We Quilt. Every day of the month, there are new guests, with Christmas project tutorials that can be made quickly and easily. I have lots of fabric waiting in my sewing corner, and I still have ten more days 'till Christmas, so I'm definitely checking out those projects! 


Thanks for dropping by today.  I know your days are really busy at this time of year, and when you take a minute to visit me and read my blog, I get such a warm, cuddly feeling!  


It's a great day for quilting!
Santa Hugs to all,
Lesley



6 comments:

  1. Your little wall hanging and pillow are adorable and that is so neat that you have entered them in the challenge. Loved hearing about your husband making you a special gift and also doing the laundry! Can't wait to see what he makes you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great little Christmas stitching projects! Good luck in the contest.

    For some reason your blog doesn't automatically update on my blog list when you create a new post. I always have to go looking for you to see what you have new. I wonder why that is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these projects. Now I must scoot off to follow the links you've given me. Well, it beats housework anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stitchery....great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what adorable Santas!!!! Love the redwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute project! I love your embroidery! :-)

    Thanks for linking up to our Stitch & Share Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!