Saturday, December 10, 2011

Show and Tell from the Christmas Quiltalong!

Today is Christmas project Show and Tell for me and everyone else who participated in the 2011 Christmas Quiltalong.  I was a little late starting, and only joined hosts Sue, at Quilt Sue and Cathi, at Shakerwood Quilts, in September.  Since then, I've joined them and quilters across the blog community on the second Saturday of the month to work on a Christmas project.  


Because I was late starting, instead of trying to catch up by making the Scatty Christmas Stars quilt that some of the quilters were working on, I decided to work on Christmas-themed projects of my own choosing. This quiltalong was a perfect fit for me, 'cause I love Christmas and every year I sew and quilt a few new Christmas items.


And today is the day of our quilt show: the day that we all show you the quilts we worked on.  Some will be finished, and some may still be a work in progress.  So have a peek at my quilts below, and make sure you head on over to visit Sue's and Cathi's blogs when you're done.  There you'll see links to all the participants' blogs so you'll be able to visit them all and see the quilt show, a great way to celebrate the season! 


Drum roll please...and apologies to my loyal followers, friends, and family who may have already seen some of these quilts.


1. Bennington:  a Schnibbles quilt designed by Carrie Nelson.  I chose Countdown to Christmas charm packs by Moda and just finished quilting it by hand this week.






2.  Hot Cross:  a Schnibbles quilt designed by Carrie Nelson.  I chose Jovial by Basic Grey charm packs by Moda and plan to hand quilt it over the holidays. 






3 and 4.  Sew Happy Me Christmas Sew Along Banner, designed by Lesley Boost.  This was an eight-week sew-along.  Each week we received a new stitchery pattern, and on the eighth and final week we received the instructions to put it together in a banner. Since I don't have a mantle, I decided to make two projects:  a three-block table runner, and a four-block wall hanging.






5.  Mr. Ho Ho Ho:   I adapted a pattern designed by Sherri Falls, of This and That, by using one of Lesley's embroidery patterns as the centre of the block.  Mr. Ho Ho Ho was stitched on linen, framed with piano keys piecing, and now sits in my living room hanging from a  cute little table screen. This project didn't call for much fabric, so I was able to dig into my Christmas stash and use what was available.


So this brings you pretty well up to date, except for the Christmas projects I'll be working on today.  Perhaps they'll be ready for Christmas 2012!  Here's what's in the works: 


a) A gorgeous "Woodland Santa:, a First Friday Freebie pattern by Kaaren at The Painted Quilt.  He is a wonderful Santa, and once I realised I needed to use magnifying glasses while doing the backstitch, he started to look much better in my hoop! 






b) I'm quilting the Bows and Boughs wall hanging, a pattern by McCalls Quilting.  And to make it more festive (and also quicker to quilt),  I'm using red perle cotton thread to make longer stitches.  I love it!




c) And I  can't forget my version of a Wonky Christmas house block!  (I guess you'd have to say that it was designed by me since there can't be another one quite like it!) I still have to sew on  the star and tree buttons, bind it, and hand quilt it.




d)  Last, but not least, a little mug rug using the linen again for the stitchery of the tree and some stamped fabric.  A little hand quilting, a few inches of binding, and that will be it!




Thanks so much for dropping by.  Hope you enjoyed the quilt show! 


And some great news is that there will be another Christmas Quiltalong for 2012, with some guest hosts helping out Sue and Cathi.  Another drum roll please.  I will be one of the guest hosts in the new year.  So please plan on joining us.  It's never too late to get a head start on Christmas 2012 and keep the spirit of Christmas alive in our sewing rooms for the whole year. 


It's a great day for quilting.
Cheers and Santa Hugs,
Lesley

10 comments:

  1. Thank goodness I haven't got to choose my favourite. I love everything you've been working on and am amazed at how much you have got done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is absolutely beautiful Leslie...and quilted by hand! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I love all of your projects. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed the show and tell,,, wonderful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Goodness! You've been so focused! All beautiful, like Sue said, I'm pleased I don't have to pick a fave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Lesley! I'm so impressed with all your pieces! You already know I love, love, love your Bennington! And goodness me but the Hot Cross is an awesome piece as well! You and I like the same fabric lines. Your embroidery is beautiful and your finished pieces really show off your work nicely. Then next is your Bows and Boughs, oh how I love that too! Your wonky house is SO cute. Yay!, you are stamping on fabric! It frames your house with a festive feel. Good on you! I love your embroidered tree too. Isn't it a great feeling to look back like this to see all you've created with this group?! You are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have so many beautiful pieces here! Love Mr. HoHo and I see you used Jovial, isn't that the neatest group of fabrics! Congrats on being a guest host in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOLY COW!!!! I feel so lazy now!!! Love the hot cross quilt (and everything else, of course!), the colors are fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mind how many times I see any of these. They are all wonderful and so festive. Lots of inspiration to be found in these posts. I do enjoy your choice of colours and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!