Friday, December 9, 2011

A Wonky Christmas House

Another day, another quilting challenge.  And this is the kind of challenge I can't wait to do!   I'm going to participate in the 2012 Wonky House Block Swap hosted by Jane at Jane's Fabrics and Quilts. It sounds like so much fun and a bit out of the box for a traditional quilter like myself.  All the more reason to try it, right?  And I love Jane's wonky house button, Bring it Home.    


Use the button on the sidebar to register or get more information. 
For the swap, I have to make 12 wonky house blocks.  I keep one block for myself and mail the rest to Jane, who coordinates the swap. Jane only has room in the swap for 60 people, and it's filling up fast, so make sure you visit her blog and register soon.  We'll be divided into groups of twelve, and all blocks have to be in Jane's hands by March 1.  Then she mails eleven blocks back to us, so I'll have a total of twelve blocks to make a Wonky House quilt. This is going to be fun!


So what did I do today?  I decided to practise making a wonky house before the exchange.  After all, my blocks have to be good enough so that eleven other people will be happy when they arrive! 


First, I did my research.  I googled "wonky houses" and found a couple of great tutorials that had been posted in the past by fellow quilters.  


Next I chose some Christmas fabrics of reds and greens.  Ok, I realise these colors are very traditional, and a genuine wonky house probably wouldn't use traditional colors, but for a  practise wonky house block, I figured it would be alright.  


I used the tutorials to get on track, and quickly realized that every wonky house becomes quite unique!  With a tilt to the windows and a slant to the door, I was on a roll to wonkiness.   Then I got a little more creative and stamped the outer border.  I see and hear that stamping on fabric is going to be big this year, so I just had to try it out.




And then I just had to embellish the block with a star, house number, and a few trees! I plan to sandwich the block, hand quilt it with red perle cotton thread, and use it as a mini-table topper or a giant mug rug! 




Now the question for you... is my Christmas  house block wonky enough?  Is there a way to improve wonkiness?  Is wonkiness even a word? (chuckle, chuckle)


Before I leave you, I want to share a few pictures of some beautiful quilts done by a very good friend of mine. Last weekend, a quilt sale and display was held at the local museum.  My friend had several quilts there and was kind enough to allow me to take some pictures so that I could share them with you. 






Each block has a fussy-cut centre.








As you can see, my good friend is a very talented quilter, quite an inspiration to me when some days I struggle to sew a 1/4 inch seam!


It's a great day for quilting.
Cheers and Santa Hugs,
Lesley

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your wonky house, and I too am a traditional quilter. That will make a wonderful mug rug.

    I'm sure that "wonkiness" is a word - it just sounds like it must be doesn't it?

    Your friend has made some wonderful quilts but I don't know which I would pick as my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your wonky house, and I agree with Sue, it definitely is a word, or at least should be! LOL The swap sounds like fun! I would love to join, but I'd better not - got a lot on my plate already, and still have to make a living! Giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will look forward to seeing your Wonky Houses! Your friends quilts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those Kaffe houses on your friend's quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!