Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January Schnibbles Quilt

I love house quilts!  One of my very first quilted wall hangings that I made so many years ago was a large house block.  I pieced it with coordinating burgundy and cream fabrics, added wide borders, and stretched and stapled it over a pine frame. It hung in our house for years before it moved on to quilt heaven, which means I have no idea where it is now!

Since then, I have made several "house" wall hangings using a variety of sizes, fabrics, and themes.  And now there seems to be a huge resurgence of interest in house quilts.  A few minutes in blog land will give you ample opportunity to make a house of any size, color, or theme. Just have a look at my sidebar and you'll see a few quick links to making houses!

So when I joined Another Year of Schnibbles, hosted by Sherri at A Quilting Life and Sinta at Pink Pincushion, I was thrilled that the first Schnibbles of the year, the January quilt, was none other than Full House, a quilt using one house block to make eighteen houses.  Creator Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie's Quilt Company,  sure knows her stuff!  The quilt was a lot of fun to put together using a couple of charm packs and some yardage for the sashing and borders. I finished the  quilt top on the weekend.


I used Sandy Gervais' Grand Finale fabrics by Moda, and will hand quilt sometime in the future!  They say that taking a picture of a quilt in natural sunlight is the best way to do it, so I headed outside on a really cold day and managed to take the picture.  This is what you didn't see!
Today, the deck is totally covered with snow, so no outdoor pics for awhile!

Thanks so much for dropping by. There's still lots of time to participate in Another Year of Schnibbles.  We make one Schnibbles quilt a month, so why not join us?  Just touch base with Sherri or Sinta.

It's a great day for quilting!




9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh....I love schnibbles...I better get over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful wall hanging, love the houses! I have the pattern and am hoping to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Houses and happy, colorful fabrics...it doesn't get much better than this, Lesley!

    Thanks so much for sharing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your schnibble!!! Great job!!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt and yes I should join as I am a big fan of Carries too!
    your fabric choices are just so me too!
    love them
    Kathie who wishes there was snow in her yard

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love house quilts, and this is wonderful. I love the colors you selected. I am going to have to get this pattern. It is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your houses look great, I have the pattern and hope to make that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why don't I have more of this fabric? You're making me regret not hoarding away a few charms packs!

    I love your beautiful little village, and like you, I'm happy to see so many house blocks and quilts around these days. :)

    Carrie ~ who is happy there isn't snow in her yard

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely :-) I'm glad you decided to join in! The last picture is great :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!