Sunday, January 1, 2012

A New Year's Day of Finishes and Starts!

Happy New Year and may you all begin a fantastic year of family, friends, and fabric! 


And speaking of fabric, I have had so much enjoyment lately with the blues!  Not "the blues", but blue fabrics!  I mentioned in the last post how much fun I had cutting the tumbler blocks out with my Go! Baby fabric cutter that I won in a giveaway. Well, the blue fabrics were just so pretty and bright that making the quilt top became my obsession for a few days.  So here it is, my little "Delft China Quilt", all finished and ready for quilting.




Even more special for me is that I asked a few friends for their opinions for the borders.  I loved receiving their input and I combined their suggestions to create the border.  I used folded white and blue floral piping for the inside edge, and framed this with a solid blue.  The binding will be blue print. Thank you, friends, you are wonderful! The fabrics are from the Blue Danube collection designed by Fabric Freedom and the size is about 34" x 36". I have no idea what I'm going to do with the quilt, but it was fun making! 


I also worked on the newest block from the Fat Quarter Stars Quilt Along hosted by Moose on the Porch. The new block was posted last week, but finding it a little too challenging for me (my limited skills with templates came to the forefront), I decided to do the right thing for the sake of the quilt and make a substitute block.  I was inspired by "Kansas Home", a beautiful block designed by Lynne Hagmeier, of Kansas Trouble Quilters, block # 340 in Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazine,volume 4.  Lynne's block uses applique, so I did adapt the block somewhat from the original to change from applique to piecing techniques. This is what I came up with as my substitute block:




Another project I worked on this week that is getting more interesting each day is the Twelve Days of Christmas mini-mystery sampler quilt hosted by the Temecula Quilt Company.   I read about it for a few days, then started to see more of the finished blocks, and that was it.  I had to do it!  Although this could be made entirely from the scrap pile without making a dent, and I wanted to try out a fat quarter collection that has been sitting in my cupboard.  So my little sampler blocks are being made of Lilac Hill fabric by Brannock and Patek by Moda that I purchased at The Fabric Cupboard awhile back.  Here is what I have so far:




A new block is posted every day for twelve days, and you can see there is already a pattern developing.  Today's block may possibly have eight pieces...all I know is that I have to be very precise with my 1/4 inch seams!  


Before I leave you, you may have noticed a few new buttons on my sidebar that I haven't had a chance to mention. The new year will bring lots of quilting fun and a few challenges to me!  I have registered for the 2012 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge hosted by Sew Cal Gal.  Every month, a guest expert on FMQ will present a tutorial.  I've already peeked at the January gal, Frances Moore, and viewed her video tutorial.  I am pumped and am looking forward to making a practice sandwich with her hearts!


Building Houses From Scraps, hosted by Jeanneke, is really neat! The whole idea is to make a 3 inch block every day and at the end of the year, use them to surround a large centre house block and you have a quilt!  There are about 1100 quilters from across the world who have already registered.  The little house patterns are on her blog and are written in four languages for both piecing and paper-piecing.  The blocks can be made by hand sewing or by machine.  I've decided to make mine by machine using the paper piecing method.   I've made a couple of samples and I'm pleased with them, so I'm ready to start. I'll probably do them in batches...every few days I'll make a few more!


And the newest button is from Madame Samm at Sew We Quilt.  As I was writing this post, her new post arrived in my blog list.  So check it out and meet the January winners whose quilts are posted on her banner.  Their quilts are amazing!  And this month will be Tool Time January at Sew We Quilt where quilters will share their favorite tools.  I plan on learning a lot!


Thanks for coming by today. I always enjoy your company and am so pleased to be making new quilting friends.  It's a great day for quilting!












  

6 comments:

  1. Ahhhh good afternoon sweetie...love your new adventures to come and ones you have started..wow...you have ben stitching up a storm...and a lovely one at that....off to stir some soup...can you smell it? French onion...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fitting name for your tumbler quilt. It reminds me so much of Delftware.

    Question? Are you paper piecing Jeanneke's house blocks at 3"? Gulp!

    I've never seen the fabric line you're using for the Temecula 12 Days of Christmas mystery quilt. Love them! I'm planning to tackle today's block after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty your delft china quilt is! I'm sure you'll come up with an honorable way to display it when it's finished. Your other block projects are coming along fantastically!

    Did you hava a career in advertising?...because you write wonderful ads for the people and blogs that have inspired your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley I love your Delft China quilt! Looks like you are really having fun with your GO! Your star block is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue tumbler quilt has worked so well. Love all the blues.
    Good luck with your sewing plans. I especially like the 12 days mini mystery. I wonder how tiny the pieces will be for block 12?
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new look of your blog....I'm following you again. :):) I also took your button. Many Many many HUGS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!