Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Block or Two

I'm fairly new to the blogging world, and as many of you can attest to, when you first discover this quilt blog community, it's like a candy store where all the treats are there for the taking. 


One of the most wonderful treats for me is participating in block of the month clubs. I signed up for several and have kept up with "almost" all of them. This week I finished Block 5 in the Canton Village Works Bloggers Block of the Month. 




If you're taking part in the club, you're wondering where I went astray! You see, this isn't the block that was featured. The block you see here is the Dutchman's Puzzle.


This is what happened. I had a few problems with the featured block from the BBOM and it just wasn't working for me. The block was a very creative design, the instructions were excellent, and, in hindsight, I realize I just didn't take the time to read the instructions  properly. Rather than trying again, I decided that the quilt police would not track me down if I chose to do another block.  


So, what did I do? I used my new super duper quilting tool...my iPad, a wonderful gift from Woodworker Hubby for Christmas.  (And yes, I am a spoiled girl.) I recently downloaded an App called "Block Tool" for an affordable price of $3.99. 




The App lists 102 blocks, dividing them into blocks with grids of 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 9. I knew the past month's blocks were 4-grid, so I went looking through the 4-grid blocks.




I decided on the Dutchman's Puzzle. I liked the "flying geese" and the way a pinwheel kind of appears in the centre. I clicked on the picture of the block and it took me to the next page which displays the cutting instructions for four sizes of blocks.  I clicked on the 8" block, followed the instructions, and completed a block that I think will fit in very nicely with my other blocks. I do have hundreds of quilt magazines and quilt books and patterns in the house, so I could have gone through them to choose a new block, but this was sure easy to do in a pinch! 


I also finished the latest block of the Fat Quarter Stars Quiltalong hosted by Moose on the Porch Quilts.  I loved doing this block and had lots of success with it.  I must have slowed down a little and read the instructions!




So that's my news for today.  My sewing machine continues to whirrrr, my fingers continue to quilt, and my "quilts to do" list continues to grow. I love it all!


Thanks for coming by and I hope you are all enjoying the weekend. As always, it's a great day for quilting!





9 comments:

  1. They are both great blocks! Love your substitute. Have a happy rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your DPuzzle Block ;) Wonderful part about quilting is it allows us to add our own creative twist to things ;) Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with a bit of lateral thinking! And I do like the way the Dutchman's Puzzle looks in your fabrics.
    I also like the illusion of curves created in your second block.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are gorgeous! And your work is very lovely. Don't worry, we've all done things like you did with the first block. But good to improvise as you did!
    I wonder if that app is available for the iPhone? I'm going to check it out. That's a really good one!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both wonderful blocks Lesley , I must check out that app, I haven't purchased any yet but have downloaded a couple of freebies. I'd like to check out these BOM's but I dare not I might get bitten ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for ignoring the Quilt Police. Your Dutchman's Puzzle block looks terrific! Thanks for the tip about the iPad Block Tool - I will definitely be downloading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right that quilt blogs are like candy - and sometimes I over indulge! It's easy to go from one to another and get caught up in it. Before I know it time I should have been stitching is gone! I love the way your block turned out and I'm glad to know about that app. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful colors in your Fat Quarter Star block! When I started reading about the Bloggers BOM block I thought I had missed one LOL! I really like what you did and yes...you are spoiled with all those fun toys! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice! i wish i had an iphone, i really need to get one of those.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!