Thursday, March 29, 2012

Almost There

The Fat Quarters Stars Quiltalong, a 6-month project hosted by Konda at Moose on the Porch Quilts, has come to a wonderful finish. Each block was designed by a different person. You will see lots of gorgeous and stunning quilt tops and finished quilts featured on the group's Flickr page here


But you won't see mine...yet!  I sewed and I sewed and I sewed to try to make the deadline of March 27 for posting to the Flickr page. I didn't quite make it.


I did start on the right track.  I filled my sewing table with my blocks and started to put the borders on.




I made the 12-block quilt with fabrics I had in my stash, using 4 main color families and a variety of cream fat quarters for the backgrounds.  Konda made a wonderful suggestion to put a color-coordinated border around the blocks so this was my next step.


Red:


Blue: 


Green: 


Gold:


I arranged them on the floor side by side using green, gold, red, and blue as my sequence.




And then I looked at the clock and had run out of time. So what's next?  I have to decide whether to sew the blocks together as is and add a few borders, or sash with cornerstones first and then border.  Any suggestions?  


Did you remember Thimbleberries Sew Day was yesterday?  I remembered but I'm afraid I wasn't sewing.  I was busy being a Regional Science Fair judge learning some amazing things from some very clever grade 4 students.  


It's a little grey out there and continues to be pretty chilly.  A perfect day for quilting!  





13 comments:

  1. There's no pressure to hurry, I think a sashing with corner stones would look lovely - and then decide if you want borders once you see the size. Oh,,I remember my kids in science fairs, just fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Vroomans idea sounds very nice, sashing with corner stones, in a soft fabric selection that would showcase each of the blocks, not overshadow them. Honestly, Konda's suggestion for bordering each block was excellent! Really Lesley, this is going to be one of THE loveliest sampler quilts I have ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to see it finished. I'm going to visit the Flickr page later and see what everyone else has done. Right now I'm headed back to bed. I know, I know, I'll miss the best part of the day, but we're having some bad weather and my Scleroderma HATES bad weather and takes it out on me, LOL. I'll be watching for more pictures as you finish up this quilt! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous Lesley , I quite like it as it is but you could preview it with some cornerstones and sashings to see if you like it . Wish I had known about this one , I love star blocks , oh well I have way too much going on now :-) Have a great day sewing ,I think winter is back .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful!!! I like it the way it is but if you want it bigger sashing with cornerstones is what I would do too. Love the colors.
    happy sewing today
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think some sashing and cornerstone would be great Do you have any fabric that pulls all your colors together that you could use for the sashing? Then maybe go scrappy red, blue and gold cornerstones? Your blocks look great, I don't think you can make a bad decision, unless your decision is not to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really pretty Lesley. I think it looks wonderful just the way it is. Love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you did all that sewing in just one day!!! You are truly super sewing woman, my friend!!!

    I love sashing and cornerstones so you know what my choice would be.

    How about making the cornerstones a four patch using the colors that you've already bordered the blocks with and the sashing perhaps with the cream fabric...or something coordinating...similar to what you used for the block backgrounds? If you made both the cornerstone 4 patches and sashing to finish at 2", I think it would look great. Clear as mud, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whatever you decide, Lesley, I know it will look awesome when it's all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking along the same lines as Kaaren, with 4-patches and cream sashing.

    Whatever you decide to do, it is going to look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd go along with Kaaren's idea too. Cream fabric for the sashing and assorted fabrics for cornerstones would be a logical way to go. The blocks are wonderful, and the framing strips were a great suggestion. This is going to be an impressive quilt, no matter what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks are beautiful Lesley! I would go with sashing as your quilt is going to be pretty narrow without them plus I like seeing the white in your photos. No pressure, finish it when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plenty of time to put the blocks together, but Grade 4 students at a science fair can't wait!! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Kaaren's idea of four patch cornerstones - perfect I think. And what a gorgeous quilt this is going to be. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!