Thursday, March 22, 2012

Small Finishes

It's always nice to have something new to show you mid-week.  I'm always busy in my sewing corner or in my "quilting" chair, but the projects may not always be finished enough to show you. Today I'm pretty pleased to be able to show you a couple of little things!


I've really had fun doing some little stitcheries over the last few months, so the idea of doing a different design in each of the twelve blocks in the Garden Steps Quilt by Clover and Violet was right up my alley. 




Here's a close up. 




I love, love, love the floss that I purchased awhile back from Sew Lux Fabrics. I bought the Ruby Market Perle Sampler card and used that luscious teal and rose for my first block. I wanted to add some purples in future blocks so I just placed an order for the Garden Steps perle sampler card.  More yummy colors on the way! 


I was ahead of the game this month this time for my March Small Quilt challenge hosted by Kathleen Tracy at A Sentimental Quilter.  Of course I put my own spin on it, and decided to design a little quilt for my table screen.



I used a few Civil War fabrics from my stash, and a few other scraps I thought would work.  I handquilted it to give it a little texture, put a hanger on the back, and it's now in the livingroom. I love small projects...such a feeling of satisfaction.  It is a little too small to cuddle up in.  Should I change the name of my blog to "The Mini Quilter?"

And of course a person can never have too many pincushions! I had always wanted to make a Cathedral Window block, so there just happened to be the perfect solution!

Yes, it's a Cathedral Window Pincushion!  This was a fun project, so I'll definitely be making more. I followed the excellent tutorial by designer Kim at her blog, My Go-Go Life.  The tutorial is also featured as a recipe at the Moda Bakeshop.  

Another great day for quilting coming my way.  Thanks for dropping by!


11 comments:

  1. Love all your work Lesley,but that pincushion is really lovely.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to the Garden Steps. I love the pincushion and have thought of 'needing' one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Leslie, I love the Garden Steps block. I have been doing lots of stitcheries that will go into quilt blocks and enjoying every stitch! Your little finishes are just wonderful too, I especially want to try the Cathedral pin cushion. What a great idea for those of us that love the block but don't want to make an entire quilt. Thanks for sharing. Big Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work , the garden steps is such a sweet idea , love it ! The pincushion is so cute , I love that block and that is a great way to showcase it .You have been very busy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you must be the busiest quilter I know. I love that pincushion! I have to say your fabric choices surprised me...not your usual bright choices. But I love the fabrics and the cushion. I really should try that block one of these days too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute!!I think you are just the best!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. All such pretty work...love the pincushion!!!TFS
    ~Terry~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lesley
    You have been busy, love the pincushion and the blocks, have a great weekend .
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful projects Lesley! What sweet embroidery in your block, neat pin cushion and love your mini!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A small finish id a finish too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty stitchery and a beautiful mini quilt finish. I just absolutely love your cathedral window pin cushion. I am off to find the pattern. I have just been at Sheila's blog and popped over here for a look. Your button is very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!