Monday, April 23, 2012

A Monday Winner and the Blog Hop Continues!

Congrats to Margaret(rosenbrookm) who was the lucky gal picked with the help of Random.org to win my Granny-Album block and kit!  Margaret was contacted by email and will be receiving her gift as soon as the post offices in Canada and the USA can do their magic.  Thanks to all of you for visiting and commenting! 


I get so much inspiration for quilting from this blog community, but I also get inspiration for washing! Kaaren at The Painted Quilt recently shared a picture of a wonderful Dresden Plate quilt she made in 2008. It looked so beautiful hanging on the line, so on a beautiful sunny breezy day in Cape Breton last week, I too decided to wash and dry my Dresden Plate.




I made the quilt in 1992 and about a year after that, it won a prize in a hand-quilted category and toured Cape Breton Island during a Quilts of the Island exhibit. At that time, I used the "new" freezer template technique. Remember all those blues and pinks?  Quilts may come and go over the years but right now this one has made it back to our bed. 


Now from old to new. I sewed together my Wonky Houses that I received in Jane's Wonky House Swap. I wanted to keep the quilt a "cuddle" size, and also like the "wonkiness" of the houses in a tight little neighbourhood, so I chose to sew them without sashing and bordered them with a bright pink polkadot.




My next step is to create the backing. Each block came with a wonderful little signature block signed by the quilter, so I plan on framing them with bright purple polkadot fabric and joining them together with strips of some of my brightest fabrics to put together a wonky backing. Stay tuned! In the meantime, please visit Jane. She has another fun round of wonkiness starting...an exchange of wonky stars and 4-patches. We'd love to have you join us! To find out more, visit Jane's Flickr page here


I finished Block 3 of Clover and Violet's Garden Steps quilt.  I love their stitchery patterns and love the creative element of putting my own slant on it.  It is also giving me lots of practice...I really hope to improve by the end of this. Am I the only one who still struggles with French knots?  I swear I make them a different way every time!




There are only a few days left of Madame Samm's "Spring is in the Air" Table Topper Blog Hop!  It has been fantastic...a slide show every day from some pretty talented folks across Blog Land. The Blog Hop started on April 16 and will finish on April 25.


Madame Samm says there will be huge prizes at the end, but I think the prize is just visiting the blogs every day for some eye candy, plus many of the participants are offering their own giveaways.  So don't delay. There's a group of bloggers just waiting to welcome you to their parade of table toppers. My day was April 16 so check here to see my table toppers and to see the complete schedule. Thank you, Madame Samm, it has been a blast!


What's up for today?  I've been away for a few days so it is going to be a great day for quilting!  Thanks for coming by!

17 comments:

  1. Lesley, your wonky houses look great! I think no sashing between the blocks is the best look also. That garden block is really pretty too. I like that embroidery design and the colors you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wonky house blocks are looking great all put together. Love the bright border. Looks like a fun neighbourhood!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dresden is a classic pattern that will be around for all time. Just lovely. Your wonkies are so cute and the siggie backing will make it such a treasure. I don't have a problem with french knots, but when a lot - I like to use beading instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dresden is beautiful Lesley, isn't it fun to look at quilts we have made and see the different colors and fabrics! Love the way you are setting the wonky houses, how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Dresden is gorgeous, I have that on my "To Do" list someday. The wonkey houses are adorable, what a fun little quilt! Your embroidery is so pretty, too. If you have trouble with French Knots, google Colonial Knot and check it out. I use it a lot in place of French Knots. Have fun with your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Dresden quilt , congrats on winning way back then I can understand why you won , it is truly beautiful! Your wonky houses are such fun , so bright and cheerful , they would brighten up anyones day . hugs SHeila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dresden plate quilt! And your wonky houses are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow lovely work! Your wonky house are tooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that wonky house quilt,my grandchildren old love that.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh!! Your wonky houses look amazing!! Please post it on the flickr page for all to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WoW!! Sweets...your wonky house is just to cute!!! Great job!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to Margaret!

    Fabrics change and so do our tastes but your Dresden plate quilt is timeless, Lesley. Just imagine what people will say about it 100 years from now.

    And your wonky houses? What fun and what a happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Dresden plate is gorgeous. But those little wonky houses, they just really captured and brightened my heart! You warmed my morning, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful dresden quilt, Lesley! I'm so in love with your "neighborhood" you created! Those are adorable, and your way of putting them all together is super.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your plates are perfect for anytime, and most beautiful. I envey your your awesome Wonky Houses. It is on my "one day List". Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love your quilts....

    I did do thimbleberries yesterday but didn't post...will have to find some time today to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quilting patterns old and new. I love them all. Your wonky houses are so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!