Thursday, May 10, 2012

Family Quilts and Fabrics

What a wonderful time I had visiting my mom and two of my sisters! We always have a fantastic time...a family of 4 girls just makes everything so darn much fun when we get together!  Although Sister One lives too far away to join us for these weekends, we thought of her often, shared a few phone calls, and the rest of us kicked up our heels and made the most of our time together. We even had a "livingroom yard sale" hosted by Sister Two who "gave" us anything we wanted from her goodies that were looking for a new home. Recycling was never more fun! Yup, life is good...


Every time I'm at Mom's, I see the quilt I made in 2000 as a gift for her 75th birthday. She hangs it on a wall away from the sun, so it's in pretty good shape and we can read the notes time and again.




Don't you just love those hairdos!  I used our high school grad photos instead of the university ones 'cause three of the photos were in black and white and easily transferable. I'm third from the left. Sister 4, the baby, was so much younger her grad photo was in color! 


I mailed the little white squares across the country with some micron pens and received the siggy blocks back from sisters and families. I pieced them using the "square in a square" pattern with a variety of fabrics and this is what I came up with.  On the back, I used a family portrait taken when baby sister was about two and embroidered a few labels on the quilt. You can't see the picture clearly, but I'm the one on the bottom right with the ringlets and the missing front teeth!


I entered this quilt in the Quilting Gallery's Weekly Quilt Contest called Quilts for Mom. The contest opens tomorrow and you can vote for your favorite. Winners will receive a $35 gift certificate from The Fat Quarter Shop. It's not too late to enter a quilt...you have until tonight to enter your quilt so please join me and the others for the parade. Michele at The Quilting Gallery has a wonderful parade of quilts each and every week. While you're there, have a look at last week's applique winners...amazing! 


A family treasure is now in my home. Mom gave me a quilt that has been in her family for years. I did beg and plea for it, and she finally gave in...giggle...so not true!  She is the most generous mom in the world and gave it to me without hesitation. It was owned by my great-grandmother and pieced and quilted by her daughter-in-law. A red and white pineapple quilt...



Don't worry...we don't use it as a tablecloth...I just wanted to get a good picture of it at Mom's before I brought it home. It was a well loved quilt and well used, as you can tell from the fading. It is such a wonderful quilt! Mom remembers it being around when she was growing up, and I remember it in Sister One's bedroom.  Now it has made it's way to Cape Breton.




I put a new binding on it years ago, and fixed a few "holes", and you can see by the close-up that it is truly a treasure. We think it may have been made in the 20's. Any quilt historians out there with an idea of it's age? See the quilt that is on the cover of the March Country Sampler?  Looks like a newer version of the same pattern.




Will our quilts last as long as my red pineapple?  I spoke to a friend about this and we agreed that if it is time for a quilt to leave a home because we don't have the space, or for whatever reason, it should always be offered to quilt lovers first. That way, the quilt will remain loved and treasured in quilt heaven on earth all around us!


Ok, you're wondering...if I was away for five days, in a city that has  a fabulous quilt shop called The Fabric Cupboard  what have I got to show for it? Here goes...



Fat Quarters: Little Gatherings by Primitive Gatherings and 1860 Battle Hymm, all by Moda


Little Gatherings charm pack, perfect for so many things!


Jackie has a yummy growing collection of woolies, patterns, and Valdani threads!
Terrain fat quarters by Kate Spain  and matching zippers for some little bags! 


What fun I had shopping!  And I also found time at Mom's to cut all the pieces for two Schnibbles projects that were gathering dust in my sewing corner. Schnibbles one is "Doc", the May quilt of the Another Year of Schnibbles Quiltalong.  I'm using Cape Ann charm packs by Liesl Gibson for Moda.




And Schnibbles two is Summer Day, the April Schnibbles, using Meadow Friends and Sassy charms by Moda.


I also bought a few new gadgets, including the "Perfect Half-Square and Quarter-Square Triangles ruler by June Tailor that a friend says is a must-have!  And I picked up a few more square scrapbooking plastic boxes that are so perfect for my projects on the go.

It was a wonderful family vacation. And when I got home yesterday, on a gloomy rainy day, I was met with lots of sunshine in this little house...Woodworker Hubby met me with chocolates, a red rose, and fresh lobster for supper...love this fella...I am so totally happy...

It's a great day for sewing...now to start my day! Thanks to you all for visiting and a huge thank you for all the lovely comments you leave on my blog. You always make me smile! 




11 comments:

  1. What a fun time! I love the quilt you made for your mother's 75th. That is so nice. And yes, I rather love those hairdos!

    What a gorgeous red and white pineapple quilt. And what a treasure!! That is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilt you made for your Mom and I will be voting for you tomorrow , what a lovely treasure for your Mom. I also love the pineapple quilt , wow incredible and so nice you now have it in your home to cherish ,it is gorgeous . Lots of wonderful purchases , the wool looks extra interesting :-) Enjoy your day. hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time was had by all. Love your purchases and work accomplished. That heirloom quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family quilt is just lovely Lesley.I love the red quilt,what a treasure.Have fun with your fabric.xxx Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful, heartwarming post Lesley. Yes, sisters and moms are the best company...next to quilters! It looks like you had a wonderful time and came home to a loving house with all of your goodies. Now I have to go and vote for your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely family quilts - the Pineapple quilt is great (I have a couple from my great grandmother, from the Maritimes too, about the same era).
    Fabulous purchases! I have been eyeing the Primitive Gatherings one- seeing it all out, I can see it is one for my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just from the loot you got tells us you had a fun time. Love the photo quilt and the one your mother gave you. Good luck in the contest, if I remember, I will go and vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some wonderful pieces, thank you for sharing. And great purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special gift for your mom. Also WOW you get to have that quilt as a family heirloom..it's a beauty. Welcome home...your hubby is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful family quilt Lesley, I'm glad you have it now! Great photo quilt that you made for your mom too! It is always fun to see what you buy at the fabric shops on your trips too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you had the most wonderful time away.
    Your family quilt is so special. Such a wonderful idea. I'll head over for voting.
    Isn't the pineapple quilt a great treasure. It is great that you know the history behind it and will treasure it.
    I am so pleased you added some shopping to the trip. Especially when there is a special store nearby. Great purchases.
    And who could complain about that sort of welcome home! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!