Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Friends and Fabrics

Don't forget to check out Linky Party Tuesdays at Quilting By The River!

*****************************************************
A quilting friend of mine recently retired and is now spending her days just like me...focused on family, friends, and fabrics. When I retired awhile back, this Quilter Friend presented me with an armload of gifts, specially chosen just for me!  She knows me very well as we worked together for over eleven years.  She gifted me with pincushions, a journal all the way from Cuba 'cause she knows I love to write, a notepad 'cause I always make lists, a fabric-covered plate for "dessert", some yummy candies, a tote bag for my goodies, and a few other treasures.  But the gift that went straight to my heart is the quilted table topper she made just for me!


Do you see my name on the Quilt Shop?  How cool is that?  Quilter Friend has done several landscape quilt pieces over the years and I don't have the patience, fabric, or skill to try it myself.  She tells me the houses on the hill and the mountain in the background are the places that Woodworker Hubby and I will travel to now that we are both retired.  Surrounding my quilt shop are the "smaller" mountains, streams, and valleys that all do their part in making Cape Breton such a beautiful place to live.  Thank you so much, Quilter Friend, you are a special lady!

And for those of you who are wondering?  No, I don't have a quilt shop, but she and I both agree that we probably have enough fabric in our stash to open one! 

Speaking of fabric...again...I finally got to visit the Avonport Fabric Discount Centre. The shop is almost four hours away, but very close to where we were for the last few days attending my son's graduation...he is now a teacher and we are so proud of him!  He joins his older sister in the teaching profession...kind of a family tradition, I guess, since Woodworker Hubby is a retired teacher and I also taught for many years before changing careers. 

Back to fabric...after a quick hour in the shop with Woodworker Hubby helping me choose everything from fabrics to a magic wand for picking up pins, I left the shop with a smile on my face and a bag full of must-haves! 


I am trying to build up my fabric collection to use in "civil war" type projects. Fat quarters are my pre-cuts of choice and the pretty pinks and the shirtings were just what I was looking for! I was going to take pictures of the shop, but realize that the shop's web site has better pictures than I could possibly take. Check it out by clicking here. 

I probably wouldn't have purchased quite so much in Avonport if I had known the mailman came while we were out of town...this bundle of fat quarters was waiting for me from The Fat Quarter ShopI purchased the fabric using the gift certificate I won awhile back thanks to Cyndi at Cut Up and Sew . The fabric is Beryl Fleur Rouge by Anna Griffin.  I adore these blues, tans, and creams! 


I joined a Monthly-Mini program at the Temecula Quilt Company.  Every month I receive a little kit in the mail complete with reproduction fabrics. This month's kit that was waiting for me included a tiny little tumbler template to make a tiny little quilt! They even included linen string to "tie" the little quilt if I prefer. This should work up fast! 


My third package was the second kit in the Prairie Women's Sewing Circle, Journey Two designed by Pam Buda at Heartspun Quilts.  After I won a gorgeous little quilt kit from Pam ( you can see the finished quilt here) I became very interested in her patterns and decided I wanted to join a Prairie Women's Sewing Circle. My kits are prepared by Country Sampler Quilt Shop  in Spring Green, WI.  This month's kit is called Prairie Huswyfe and is about 28" x 28"...a perfect size for me.  This is how my kit arrived...all wrapped up like a present. 


So you can see I have all the fabric I need...my new motto is more sewing, less shopping!  But please don't hold me to it... 

I've been doing a lot of hand quilting this week but no finishes to show you yet. I did finish a little embroidery for my Garden Steps Stitch and Quiltalong designed by Clover and Violet. This is Block 5...pretty little flowers! 


I guess I better get to my sewing corner now. It's a great day for quilting!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, great fabrics. Love the grouping with the tiny tumble the best. Enjoy youe little projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little quilt shop quilt is just to cute!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt friend's gift is a true artwork. It's so charming. I love all of the fabric you bought too. It's a neat stash you have there. Enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little art quilt~ very special. Looks like you have lots of projects to keep you busy!~ Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special gift from your friend! How fun to have three packages to open when you got home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got your work cut out for you now! Love the wonderful CW fabrics! I won a Temecula Quilt Co. kit recently and started cutting it out, but haven't gotten any farther with it. They have so many wonderful kits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing mini quilt and how appropriate that your name should be on the quilt shop. *wink*

    Love your purchases. One can never have too much CW reproduction fabric. Just ask me how I would know that!

    Isn't retirement grand?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little landscape and so appropriate for you :-) I knew you would love the shop in Avonport , incredible isn't it . You have some really lovely kits to make up , that should be lots of fun . Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A quilt store with your name on it! I may have to come over and visit, nice fabrics...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a special quilt Love it. Can't wait to see what you do with all your new fabric.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable little quilt your friend made for you! Love all your purchases...can't wait to see all the fun projects you make with them!
    ~Terry~

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely newsy post, Lesley; what a thoughtful friend you have - the little quilt is gorgeous and so meaningful. Congratulations to your son. You've done well with your spending ;-) I know that feeling - must sew more spend less!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great little quilt and obviously a wonderful friend.
    So now you have a family of teachers. I think that is wonderful. I am also a bit biased about that, too! A wonderful and rewarding profession.
    Good luck with all your kits and projects. Have fun building up the stash!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quilt from your friend. Too sweet!
    Fabulous fabric stash girlfriend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous little quilt your friend made for you.
    You have received some lovely packages in the mail. All of your fabrics are so nice.
    I look forward to seeing the little quilts you will make from the kits.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great fabrics and what a precious wall hanging made by your friend, love the story with it too! Block #5 is adorable! Thanks for sharing Lesley!
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful job. I just love your Garden Steps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!