Friday, May 25, 2012

Quilt Canada 2012 and More

Quilt Canada 2012 is coming to Nova Scotia next week.  In fact, Halifax, the host city, is only about 2.5 hours away, so guess where I will be sometime next week?






Yup, I'm going to "the city" to check out the Canadian Quilters Association's annual quilt event. Quilt Canada 2012 "Seams Like Home" is taking place from May 29- June 2.  And what a time it will be!  


Quilting events will range from a variety of workshops by world-renowned teachers to a huge number of quilt shows with white-gloved hands showing us the ropes...I mean the quilts! 


In the program I counted ten quilt shows!  There is a National Juried Show, the CQA Trend-Tex Challenge, the CQA Invitational Show, The Fibre Arts Network show, the Mariners Quilt Guild Show, the Mayflower Quilters' Guild Show, Needlework Exhibition, the Studio Art Quilt Associates show, Seams Like Home Miniature Challenge and Secret Codes, an exhibition of Contemporary African Nova Scotian Narrative and Picture Quilts.  Whew, I'm tired all ready...but I am also inspired!


They have a complete schedule of events and all kinds of additional information on their web site right here.  And did I mention the Merchant Mall?  About 35 vendors are listed, and you just know there will be a few "must-haves". Will I see you there?


Speaking of merchants, my friend and I recently took a scenic trip to Mabou, home of Fiddle Stitches, a quilt shop located on the Main Street in the little picturesque town about 45 minutes away.  Owner Lynda Cambell always greets her customers with a smile! 



In addition to fabrics on the bolt, notions, books, quilt kits, and patterns, the shop carries a huge stock of the most perfectly folded fat quarters I have ever seen. You can see that Lynda has perfected the art of folding fat quarters! 




Lynda has quilts of all sizes displayed around the shop, and has quite a display of antique sewing machines  You'll see them peeking out in almost every picture.  She even has a few toy machines! 




There are also some antique irons nestled among the displays and a wonderful antique ironing board, a gift to Lynda from a wonderful patron and fellow blogger. 




My friend and I made a few purchases and left a few items for Lynda to do her magic on. She offers customized machine quilting and showed us a few projects she is working on.  We left a few projects with her with plans to return soon.  It was a great day! 


I finished my little Pocket Patchwork quilt this week ~Busy Work designed by Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts in her first Quiltalong.   I love the name of the quilt, especially since my little quilt tends to be a little "busy" because of my choice of fabrics. I quilted it by hand using a circular design for the inside of the blocks, zig-zag quilting in the sashing, and stich in the ditch around the border. It's just such a fun little quilt!  I've seen some finished around Blogland in lots of different colors and they are all so beautiful!  Thanks, Pam, for a great little project...looking forward to the next!




Remember when I showed you the spool quilts that my friend and I were making during our Chip and Dale quilt days?  Well, we finished the tops last week.  Here is Chip's quilt, a beautiful rendition done in batiks:




 And here is mine, the homespun approach. I barely had time to take the picture before the evening shadows came. 




So, our Chip and Dale adventures will continue. We're searching now for the perfect house blocks to put in our next quilts. Any suggestions?  


Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all our American friends. Enjoy your special time with friends and families.


It's a great day for quilting!

10 comments:

  1. There seems to be a lot going on in your little corner of the world. I do love your little quilt and don't think it looks too busy. Enjoy the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...what fun...and that quilt shop...just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy, love the quilt tops, we have the Heritage Park Festival of Quilts this weekend in Calgary, so II shall be off bright and early in the morning along the highway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the quilt show,we don't have many in England,only one close to me,Festival of quilts.Its in August,hoping to get there this year.
    The quilts tops are lovely.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Love to go to a good quilt event. I hope you have a wonderful time, see lots of amazing quilts AND spend lots, too!!
    The store you went to looks delightful. Beautifully presented.
    Your little quilt is lovely. great project.
    And what fun it is to see the two spool quilts. I wonder what mischief you two will be up to next? Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be there for sure! Can't wait! I have been saving for a year so I can go wild at the Merchants Mall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have lots and lots of fun, Lesley! Take full advantage of the vendors and all the specials they will offer for the event!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt turned out wonderful , now I want to get mine quilted too :-) Love the spool quilts too , great choice of fabrics in both . Can't wait for the quilt show , it should be a real fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quilt Canada sounds wonderful, and that shop looks great. I think I'd have spent a fortune in there.

    I love your spool quilts - they look so different made with different types of "thread" fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great time at QUilt Canada! I am green with envy and would give pretty much anything to go :(
    I attended the year it was in Newfoundland...best time of my life! I will be checking your blog...tell us all about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!