Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Where Do I Start?

I'm heading out of province tomorrow for almost a week and will not be able to post while I'm away and I have so much to say before I go. So here goes... 


What is better for a quilter than to be surrounded by quilts and fabrics? Here are a couple of pics taken at the church where a group of us meet once a week to quilt and have a cup of tea! 






It has been a whirlwind week since the Annual General Meeting of the Ocean Waves Quilt Society was held on Saturday.  If you didn't get to see the parade of quilts, click here and be prepared to be impressed!  Lynne Edwards, quilt author and teacher from the UK, was our special guest and did a fantastic trunk show for us. The three books she had on hand, The Essential Sampler Quilt Book, Cathedral Window Quilts, and Stash-Buster Quilts, sold out in a matter of minutes! She tells us she has a new book in the works coming out in the Fall...can't wait! 


On Monday, a friend and I travelled to Baddeck to attend one of three workshops offered by Lynne while she was in Cape Breton. It was such a great time!  Lynne is an excellent presenter and I would highly recommend that you walk over hot coals or broken glass to get to see her if she visits your area! She is so knowledgeable and extremely humorous-the day was full of helpful tips and a lot of laughter! 


Lyne showed us many ways to use the curved blocks.  By days end, I had made this sample block and now have the skills and tools to make a variety of quilts using this "curved" method.   



The Creative Grids Curved Strip Ruler ruler we used was specifically designed by Lynne and Rachel Cross. Have a look here.


The Chip and Dale Quilt Quilt Retreat this week was awesome as usual! Chip and I worked on our spool quilts from Edyta Sitar's book, Friendship Strips and Scraps. We're adapting the pattern a little as both of us wanted to make something a little smaller.  By the end of the day we had our blocks together.  I decided to use homespun fabrics for my spools. 


And Chip decided to use some beautiful batiks for her creation! 


Next time we're together we'll plan our borders and figure out how we'll quilt them.  Edyta has lots of applique on the quilt in her book, but I think we'll take the easy route for these little toppers and avoid the applique!


I have to show you this little treasure designed by Chip. She has been creating her own monthly table toppers since Christmas.  This May topper is just so cute, and doesn't it look adorable? Chip is a quilter in the making!



I love, love, love the little quilt Pam Buda is showing us how to make at Heartspun Quilts. Today I managed to finish Part 5 and did make a small change. When Pam showed us the layout of the pieces on a red fabric background, I couldn't help thinking how lovely that little touch of red made to the overall effect.  So I decided to add just a little bit of red to frame my blocks before adding the sashing. Am now anxiously awaiting the finale in Part 6!



Did you know Pam has recently announced she will have her own line of fabric with Marcus Fabrics?  It is called Heart of the Prairie...even the name sounds gorgeous!  Check it out here...it is wonderful! 


I had some successful mornings in my quilting chair this week and finished my Little Houses wall hanging.  It is designed by Michelle May at The Raspberry Rabbits, and it is called Little Houses # 1.  This was one of my favorite projects to do...a little stitchery, a little wool, a little quilting...and it's all about little houses!




I was a lucky gal again this week!  Yesterday I received word that I had won a $25 gift certificate from the Fat Quarter Shop as a giveaway from Cyndi at Cut up and Sew   I can tell you that this was very much appreciated by this quilter and will be well used! Thank you so much Cyndi, you're a very generous lady.  Please visit Cyndi's blog and let her know Lesley sent you! 


I also received in the mail today a pattern I won in a RECENT giveaway from Evonne at Clothesline Quilts called Chancellorsville.  


The pattern is included in the Civil War Battles Series # 8, so I may learn a little American history as I piece this quilt together! It's also quite a coincidence that the one pattern I fell in love with while visiting Florida in February was another of Evonne's creations called Windham Sampler. Lots on my to-do list!  


Did you notice I missed another parade?  Yup, I wasn't able to make the parade of Schnibbles again this month, but I certainly loved seeing the April parades of quilts at A Quilting Life and The Pink Pincushion. Make sure you pop over to see them. Remember my March Schnibble?  The "I'm So Totally Happy" quilt?  Here is a sneak preview of my little quilt that is now on its way back from Mary at Quilt Hollow with some wonderful quilting!  Thank you for the picture, Mary, and the fabulous quilting.  I can't wait to get this quilt in my hands! 


See the red, white and blue?  Does it remind you of anything?  Must be Madame Samm's July 1 "Celebrate Red, White, and Blue Table Topper Blog Hop"!  It is already filled to capacity with 100 quilters who are ready to show their table topper creations starting that day. What a parade that will be!  Jane at Jane's Fabrics has the hosting duties and has worked diligently with Madame Samm to put pedal to the medal to get things in motion. Can you just picture all these quilters madly searching through their stash for the perfect red, white, and blue? For some amazing quilt inspiration, check out the red, white, and blue quilt images at Google here


Well, I think I'm done now!  Still have to pack and get ready for my "Mom, Me and Sisters Two" weekend that starts tomorrow with me heading out of town. Sister Three won't be able to join us, but she'll be there in spirit, that's for sure!


It's a great day for quilting!



21 comments:

  1. I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted just reading your activities this week. Those lovely quilts your group are working on in the church are so nice. Love the Pam Buda blocks and everything else you show. What a great week you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - lots going on is right!
    Congratulations on your wins - very exciting! Cyndi is very generous - I won my Baby GO! from her.
    Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful, and safe, trip Lesley...can't wait to see more of your great creations!!!
    ~Terry~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post with so many wonderful things shared. Enjoy your family outing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a wonderful time!! I finished my blocks they will be flying in the morning!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful weekend. It sounds really special!
    Lovely to see all that you have been doing, and congrats on those wins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safe travels and make sure you take some time out to rest after all that you managed to accomplish this week. Have a super time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a newsy post with lots of excitement going on! Love your curved block and I have that spools quilt on my list too!! Sounds like you have a great weekend coming up - hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful weekend Lesley, that sounds like it will be a lot of fun! My gosh I can't believe all the neat projects you are working on everything is so neat! Your curves block is perfect! Congrats on your wins too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off I want to say how much I adored the photo of the ladies at the church sitting around the quilt frames! Now that's what I'm talking about!,
    Next, I would love to make some of those curved pieces so thank you for sending the link about the ruler. The block you made is really spectacular!
    Your other projects are so inspirational. You really have such a good eye for color.

    Yes, I too, m anxious for Pam Buda's fabric line to come out and am obhappy for her. That should say "am so happy" for her! Haha these darn iPads!,

    Thanks for sharing this bliss and have a great time away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make me look pathetic! I mean, look at all your accomplishments in one week! I'm in live with your spool quilt!, I want one!, I need to get busy it is added to the list! Is it the same pattern as her free pincushion I shared a few post back?
    The photos of all you ladies chatting it up and stitching together is so wonderful and makes me wish for a quilt group like that here....I can imagine the gossip and stories told.
    Enjoy your week...I hope you have time to make Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your spools - wonderful! And the red added to the stars is stunning! Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a post, you've been a busy and lucky girl, I enjoyed it all. Maybe I enjoyed the spools most of all : ))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post , so many interesting things to see and read . Hope you have a terrific trip , enjoy !,,,

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, that was one very full post. Enjoy the girl time away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh wow...first have a great trip, safe travels...now your new blocks..love the curve...love the colors of your stars....love the pics...love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lesley! I awarded you the "Liebster". I love your blog and your quilts. check out my post for more info http://bumbleknit.blogspot.ca/2012/05/leibster-award-for-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've got so much going on! How fun!! Have an amazing time and be sure to tell us all about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this post Lesley. I followed up on the Heart of the Prairie fabric line that you mentioned, and the owner of the shop where I work, met with the Marcus sales rep yesterday and ordered the line! I got to see the swatches and it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love how your little house turned out! Makes me smile big!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!