Friday, June 8, 2012

Christmas Quiltalong on Saturday, Schnibbles and More

When every day is a Saturday, time travels really fast, and it's already time for our monthly Christmas Quiltalong! Join us tomorrow for the next installment of Quilt Sue's Festive Mystery. We'd love to have some more company. You can catch up with us and follow along with the Festive Mystery quilt designed by Sue or you can work on your own Christmas themed projects.  It's always a party with these gals!




Our hostess for this month is Paulette at Sweet P Quilting and Creations.  She promises a day of fun and camaraderie and hints of a giveaway and perhaps a Christmas craft?  So drop on over to her blog tomorrow. She may win the title of Hostess with the Mostest! 

Quilt Sue has given us a challenge this week. She has asked us to take a good hard look at the units we have made thus far, take a picture of what we think the finished block may look like, and link up with Mr. Linky at her blog.  Well, I took a good hard look, didn't pay attention to the clues we already had (like the finished size, number of units, etc.) and this is what I came up with...a 12" block that doesn't have any rhyme or reason. Please, Sue, let the block be much prettier than this one! 




Last time I showed you a basket of fabrics I was going to play with...I had so much fun with these!  I made a little tote with a recipe from the Moda Bake Shop that you can find here. I loved making it from start to finish, every step...









The tote was designed by Jodi and you can find it here.   I liked her idea of a 'quilt in a tote', so I decided to make a quilt to go in the tote.  I chose the June Schnibbles quilt, Leap Year, designed by Carrie Nelson, the next quilt in the Another Year of Schnibbles quilt along hosted by Sinta at Pink Pincushion and Sherri at A Quilting Life. I used the same fabrics and love it! The pattern is so easy and quick.  I put together my 16 blocks in no time.  





Then came the sashing using some bright white-on-white I had in my stash, and Ta Da!  "Watermelon Summer" was born and is now ready for the next step. 




I'm in the midst of making a pieced backing, again using the same fabrics, and plan to use perle cotton in a shade of green to do some "big stitch" quilting...not sure of the design yet. Won't this be a sweet gift when I get it quilted? I see it as a baby quilt and a diaper bag...or a picnic quilt and a picnic basket...or a table topper and a purse! What do you see it as?




I finished another embroidery design by Clover and Violet for my Garden Steps Stitch and Quiltalong. The tulip basket was designed by Clara. I love these little stitcheries in the centre. Six more to go! 




Thank you...


I want to thank Dayna at Precut Paradise for her nomination of my blog for a Liebster Award.  She is a sweetie to think of me! At this point I am supposed to pass it along and nominate others for the award, but I can never do this part...there are just too many wonderful blogs out there that inspire me! 


Another round of thanks to Sinta and Sherri for Another Year of Schnibbles. They hosted some wonderful Schnibble parades here and here. I won a pattern in the latest Schnibble parade! I also heard from Carolyn at Quilting on the Go and she will be sending me this pack of Bella fabrics from Windham and bag. I borrowed this picture from Carolyn's blog to show you.




I hear rumours that tangerine is the "go to" fabric color for 2012, so I see a modern quilt in the future! Thanks, Carolyn! 

The sun is out, finally, so it's time to start my day.  It's a great day for quilting!

11 comments:

  1. Your quilted bag is really cute! And your Garden Steps QAL looks like fun. I love projects that incorporate embroidery into quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tote and your schnibbles looks wonderful! Great fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at everyone's Mystery guess. Great tote and my you have your Schnibbles all done, but what a cute bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this tote and quilt top ,I have to make myself a schnibbles one of these days. If you are correct with the Christmas block I quite like it , looks like a good guess to me. Those embroidered blocks are sweet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see your tote and quilt as a 'perfect gift' no matter what it's used for...so pretty!!! Congrats on your wins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tote! the Christmas quilt hmmmmmmm how about putting the 4 patches in the center to form a 9 p and the triangles in the corners. Looks like fun.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tote is just darling. I love the fabric. And I love the setting of the picture. Really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about anyone else, but I am having so much fun with this little contest. Thanks so much for entering.

    As for your tote, and the question "what do I see it as?" I see it as absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh Lesley you have so many neat projects going on! Love the little totes and the quilt to match! I like your Christmas block too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tote is adorable! LOVE the fabrics.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't that Jodi's MBS pattern for the tote... it's always been on my list! It's very cute and the Leap Year quilt is sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!