Monday, June 18, 2012

Lilacs, Stars and the Red, White and Blue

I have been away from Blogland for a few days.  I was out of province celebrating family, visiting, playing golf, attending a family wedding, and a tiny little bit of shopping on the side.  It was such a wonderful long weekend from start to finish! 


While I was away, my lilac bush finally decided to bloom.  Lilacs and me just don't get along...I adore lilacs so much, but for some reason, they don't seem to grow well in our yard.  But this year, finally, I had several blossoms.  So as soon as I unpacked tonight, I ran out to cut a few blooms, put them in my new little pitcher, and took a shot of the lilacs sitting atop my 12 Days of Christmas tablerunner, a free design by Temecula Quilt Company that I made a few months ago using Lilac Hill fabric by Moda....pretty as a picture, don't you think? And the house smells so beautiful!




Back to my weekend...which was amazing. Between all the family fun, I also ran around to a few shops looking at sewing machines and buying a few items.  I have sewing machine fever after seeing a few machines at Quilt Canada, so my long-term goal is to save up for a new one. There is a PFAFF  Expression 150 and a Husqvarna Tribute 140 that both sound great. Any comments or suggestions about these?


My shopping treasures include a little bit of everything...sewing machine needles, embroidery needles, patterns, an assortment of balls of perle cotton in glorious summer shades, some new fabric markers, a little Santa wool project, some thread, and  just a teeny tiny bit of fabric, from  reproduction to downright dotty!




You may remember my Wonky House quilt I put together with exchange blocks from across the globe?  The exchange was coordinated by Jane at Jane's Fabrics and Gifts.  Jane is simply amazing at the way she coordinates all these exchanges and brings quilters together from across the world almost seamlessly to participate in these events. What a gal!




I haven't quilted my Wonkies yet, but in the meantime I decided to take part in another wonky exchange hosted by Jane. This one is called the Wonky Block Swap Round Three which includes stars and 4-patches. More info can be found at Jane's Flickr page here. Jane tells me my blocks have arrived safely at her place ready to be swapped. Here's a peek at what I put together.  My wonky stars...


and my wonky 4-patches...




I'm really looking forward to seeing what arrives in my mail box. I think a little cuddle quilt will come together quickly!


July 1 is almost here. Really. And you know what that means?  The Red, White, and Blue Blog Hop rolls out! Thanks to mastermind Madame Samm for the blog hop's creation and work behind the scenes, and to hostess with the mostest Jane for hosting and coordinating this fabulous event, we are going to have a whirlwind of red, white and blue blocks for 16 days with over 90 contributors! 


The complete schedule is posted on the sidebar of Jane's blog here and if you look closely, you'll see that yours truly will be rolling out some of my own blocks on the very first day, July 1.  I will be sharing day one of the hop with these great gals listed below...it will be like a virtual block party!  Who is bringing the lemonade?



July 1st


I'm finishing up a few blocks for the big day, but here are a few little sneak previews.  Make sure you come back on July 1 for the big reveal.  There may be a giveaway...just saying... 








One more thing before I go. Madame Samm tells us that on Tuesday she is going to tell us about the next blog hop from July 30-August 3 called "Think Christmas". 


You know I love Christmas...so see you on Tuesday for the reveal of the next chapter! Now it's time to unpack the suitcases and after a good night's sleep, I'll try to catch up on my blog reading.   


It's a great day for quilting!


10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love lilacs and this is such a pretty setting for them. Love all the Wonky Houses, what a cute quilt they made. I am not giving peeks - but my R/W/B blocks are ready , need to do a photo session on the next nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend.I love lilac too,they smell so lovely.
    The wonky houses are great. Love Laura.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you have been busy, busy, busy!
    love the wonky houses, I still need to make a quilt like that!
    very fun!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed our lilacs this year with the bad bad frost they killed off our buds...yours arelovely..and look at a
    L the goodies.. Wow, and the wonky house quilt..looks pretty wonky and an absolute thrill to see,,,,goodness me you have done sew much..."alllll wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lilacs too and we had them in our backyard when I was growing up. Unfortunately, it is too hot in Texas for them. Your mystery quilt is really cute! I will look forward to the blog hop in July. Believe it or not, I have never been on a quilt shop hop - at least not to all the shops. I am kind of afraid to go - I might not be able to restrain myself. Hee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have given you Liebster Award...I don't know if you've had it before, so don't feel you have to join in ...I just wanted to let people know what a great blog you have :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I just love lilacs too! Your little topper, pitcher and lilacs looks lovely. Sounds like you have been keeping pretty busy! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The freshly cut lilacs and your lilac table topper is a marriage made in heaven. I can smell their perfume from here.

    Love the goodies you bought while you were away, especially the pastel perle cotton.

    Love my Bernina and can't really offer an opinion on the Pfaff or Husqvarna as I've never tried them but I'm sure they're wonderful too.

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you are one busy lady! I adore lilacs; I just wish they would last longer.
    Your wonky house quilt looks amazing! I just love it. And look at you all ready for the blog hop. What a busy gal! I cannot help you with the machine. Mine is a Juki and has one stitch, straight. I find I do not use all those wonderful bells and whistles. Have fun shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at those pretty lilacs sitting on that gorgeous quilt. Just puts a smile on your face doesn't it. Love the houses. And you are just teasing us with the RWB blocks, I will definitely be back to see more :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!