Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Quilt Canada Wrap Up at the Merchants Mall

I heard that there were over thirty vendors at the Merchants Mall at Quilt Canada last week and I sure did my best to visit them all! There were a lot of smiles on the faces of the quilters/shoppers, and it was fun to see the vendors come together as a community, visiting back and forth and sharing lots of ideas and laughter! 


I planned ahead to do some purchasing and had set my budget. But rather than my usual impulsive buying ( my family knows all about this)  I was trying to focus on those "must haves" that I couldn't get at home, or those special purchases that were unique and would be a memento of Quilt Canada 2012.


My most precious purchase was a hand dyed work of art made by Elaine Gidman of Creston, BC. She made these lighthouses especially for her trip to the Maritimes and Quilt Canada. Eileen is a watercolor artist and paints with dyes onto quality cotton fabric.  The fabric stays soft, is washable and perfect for sewing. Isn't this lighthouse gorgeous?  Can you just picture it framed with a pieced border? 




I also picked up a couple of pairs of 6.5 inch blocks, perfect for adding to a table topper or a wall hanging. The top pair might even make it into a house quilt, and the bottom blocks sure remind me of Cape Breton! 




Eileen was a very generous vendor...the first 50 shoppers each day who visited her booth received a small complimentary lighthouse block...perfect for use as a label...perhaps even on the back of my lighthouse quilt.




Eileen offers workshops and will even custom design a piece of art to your liking.  You can see from the picture below that she carries a wide variety of art work that could be in your next quilt! Check out her blog here for more information. For you Featherweight gals, do you see what's behind Eileen? 





A gadget that caught my eye at one of the booths was The Cutting Gizmo, perfect for using when chain piecing. Yes, I have a thread cutter on my sewing machine, but sometimes I just about dislocate my shoulder to get the threads cut! The Cutting Gizmo is the answer to my prayers and comes with enough razor blades to last me a really long time!  




Aurifil and Wonderfil thread were also my 'must haves'.  I wanted to try out both, as everyone who uses Aurifil loves it, and everyone who uses Wonderfil loves it...so I will test them both! And of course I needed two sizes of Baptist Fans stencils from The Stencil Company and some perfect little plastic circles that don 't melt when you use them.  Ask me how I know circles melt!  I swear they had thousands of stencils in their booth for both hand quilting and machine quilting! Check them out at The Stencil Company




I really enjoyed seeing Kim from Harbour Quilt Company.  Her booth was cozy and wonderful, complete with many gorgeous samples made from her beautiful designs. Her shop is only 40 minutes away from home so I get to see her treasures on a regular basis. Visit her here or at her brick and mortar quilt shop in downtown Antigonish. 




And I certainly enjoyed my visit to the booth for 2 Easy Designs, a pattern company located at Lucy's Fabrics in New Glasgow, about an hour from home. They have a Facebook page right here.  I love their patterns logo.  Mary, one of the designers, tells me that there are two gals who design...both are from Nova Scotia, but one is also from Cape Breton.  So they use the Nova Scotian tartan (blue) on some patterns...


and the Cape Breton tartan (green) on the others. 


How cool is that?  So I had to buy two patterns...one from each...




I know you're saying, "where is the fabric?". Well, I did pick up, for free (giggle), several of the cardboard thingies that fabric comes wrapped on, brought them home, cut them in half, folded some of my larger pieces of fabric around them and tidied my cupboard:




This cupboard is in addition to the other cupboards and the twenty or so totes I have filled with fat quarters, jelly rolls, charm packs, works in progress, etc. But I couldn't leave the Merchants Mall without a little candy, so I found these treasures...some brights, some darks, and some flannels!




So, after 24 hours in Halifax, my budget was spent, my inspiration overflowing, and my feet tired, so I said goodbye to my dorm room...




and headed back home. I've got lots of projects in the wings, and I just know you'll enjoy seeing this basket of goodies that I pulled from my stash to make a new treasure...stay tuned!




Thank you so much for dropping by. Now it's time to get back to my sewing room! 


It's a great day for quilting!


11 comments:

  1. Love the hand dyed pieces and all the other yummy goodies you purchased Lesley! Look forward to seeing what you create with them. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice haul you have there. I too love the lighthouse pieces. Works of art, again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a wonderful time Lesley. Look forward to all your makes now.
    Hugs Laura. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your adventure. The lighthouse pieces are a true treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my you really have some wonderful treasures there Lesley , love the lighthouses for sure , not sure how I missed those , boohoo . You have lots to keep you busy now ,have fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! You had quite the "haul" too. I am kicking myself now that I didnt buy one of Elaine's handpainted beauties. They were all amazing. Love the little cutting Gizmo. I didnt see those there. I also bought the Baptist Fan stencil. Your fabric cupboard is so organized! Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. The painted blocks are simply awesome, Lesley. I never imagined them to be as beautiful as they are, especially the lighthouse one. I've done some painting with fabric dyes in the past and they perform similar to watercolors. Love the look!

    Love all your purchases and I'm happy to hear that you had a great time. Now, about that cutting gizmo...my jury is still out on that! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved all the wonderful things you found!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You bought some wonderful things. The painted blocks are amazing, I've never seen anything like those. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the cutting thingy, and am looking forward to seeing what you have planned for those fabrics you showed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!