Monday, July 2, 2012

Canada Day Quilt Block

Happy Canada Day, just a few hours late. Here in Canada, we celebrate our nation on July 1, Canada Day.


This day is a holiday for many of us living in Canada, and traditionally a day of picnics, celebrations, fireworks and family get togethers. So what is a quilt blogger to do?  Well, make a quilt block, of course, using Canada's national symbol, the maple leaf, in Canada's colors of red and white! 

I googled "how to make a maple leaf quilt square" and this is what I found...the instructions from the online Canadian Living magazine right here.   

I used a couple of layer cake fabrics from Redwork Renaissance by Moda.  I made one of the 6" blocks.


And then I made a few more.


And then I started to play with the arrangement of blocks.


And played some more.


And finally it was shazam!  I loved this one!


So...I may make my finished block into a table frame, or I may keep using my reds and whites and make enough blocks for a quilt.  What do you think?




Don't forget to check out creative Madame Samm's Celebrate Red,White, and Blue blog hop going on right now.  My day was yesterday. Are you interested in seeing what I did and have a chance to win a  giveaway? Enter here 


Click here for the master schedule for the blog hop, coordinated by our lovely Jane at Jane's Fabrics and Quilts


And don't forget about the Think Christmas blog hop! This runs from July 30-August 3...a great time to get inspired for your Christmas projects.  We have 56 bloggers ready to celebrate Christmas with you!  See the schedule here. 

It's a great day for quilting!


28 comments:

  1. I think you should keep going and make a big quilt. I love the contrast between the red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely they would look wonderful in a full quilt. I vote for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this ....x marks the spot on being a CANADIAN lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it and I also vote for more , this would be a stunning quilt. Happy Canada Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Canada Day!
    I think the maple leaves are a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Canada Day to you, from just south of the border. I love the way you've given us the view from different arrangements, and you've definitely chosen the best layout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Canada Day and what great blocks, love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the different settings make so many different looks. I love the last one the best too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Canada Day! I love what you did with the maple leaf blocks and my favorite is the last one. I think that would look gorgeous in a quilt! I think I'd try shashing between the blocks, to preserve the look of that gorgeous layout.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why make a quilt, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the different options and the red/white combination! Happy Canada Day to you-a little late!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, a full size quilt is a must with this beauty! Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! love the red fabric!! THe full quilt will be amazing!! Happy Canada Day!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the maple leaf and the fabric! So pretty! Hope you had a great Canada Day! I'll have to work on this block for next year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your choice was a good one. I downloaded the block from Canadain living.I also like the layout with the square in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! It is amazing how one block can look so different. Keep going girl! Happy Canada day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Canada Day! I love the maple leaf blocks and I made a little maple leaf wallhanging just like yours a while back. I'll post a pic for you later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the possibilities with the blocks. Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also love red and white. The maple leaf block is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh thank you for the link and for showing us how great your blocks look. I'm definitely going to save that one because you never know when you might need that block.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your maple leaf block is beautiful and I love the way you put it together. We were in Victoria, Canada years ago on Canada day and got to enjoy a beautiful fireworks show. It felt very much like being at home on the 4th of July. It was the first time that I realized that Canada had a day similar to our 4th of July. It was very fun to be there and celebrate with our neighbors and we did make it home to celebrate our day 3 days later.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice blocks Lesley. I like your second arrangement in keeping with the leaf in honor of Canada Day. But I do like your final arrangement as a star burst type design. Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love anything Red & White, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how you played with arranging the blocks. Great ideas, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great block! Really love it with the 4 stems to the middle.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I juat did these (was trying them out for my quilt guild swap) and I did them in the same layout, but I did a 'window frame' between them. I also saw one where they went all over the place and some blocks were blank and they really just looked like falling leaves! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a pretty block...the maple leaf is such a classic design :o) I loved how putting 4 of them together gave you something completely different :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!