Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Love Schnibbles and Blog Hops

You know by now how much I enjoy making Schnibbles quilts created by Carrie Nelson




The monthly Another Year of Schnibbles Quiltalong is always something I look forward to. I try to participate each month by making the designated Schnibbles quilt, but sometimes life gets in the way.  I may (or may not) have my quilt made in time for the August 1 parade as my days seem to be getting shorter with quilting time...mmm, could it be that my days and nights are full of images of Christmas?  Think Christmas perhaps?  


But getting back to Schnibbles, I was the lucky participant who won the random drawing from last month's Schnibbles parade.  Just look at what I received in the mail the other day...



This all arrived from the Queen Bee of Schnibbles herself, Carrie Nelson, along with a special little note. Carrie generously donated the giveaway items of this Tradewinds layer cake and a box of Wonderclips by Clover. And then she threw in two pairs of charm packs, and since a Schnibble takes two charm packs to make, I now have the makings for a lot more Schnibbles quilts! Thank you, Carrie, and to wonderful hosts Sinta and Sherri!


These little Wonderclips seem to be taking the quilting world by storm. The first thing I did was grab one of my Think Christmas blocks and try them out...instead of pinning the binding on, I clipped! I am notorious for getting pricked by my pins...hubby constantly hears "ouch" when I am moving a quilt into my quilting chair!  These clips are just so terrific...no squeals of pain, just perfect clipping! Here is a peek at how I used them.




Guess you'll have to come back on August 4 during the Think Christmas blog hop to see the rest of my block!. 


This month, the Schnibbles quilt is to be any one of our choosing.  In between visions of sugarplums, I decided to choose Roadshow and of course just had to choose the Friendship charm packs sent along by Carrie.  Can you think of a better name for a line of fabric? 


So off I went with Friendship.  I chose Roadshow because it reminds me so much of the Granny blocks making the rounds in blog land. Lori at Bee in My Bonnet  has started the Great Granny Along....you'll have to check it out...some great inspiration there!
I didn't have time to jump into the Granny Along, but did have time to make my first block for Roadshow...in case you missed it at the top of the post, here it is again! 




I had lots of background fabric, so I chose to cut background squares instead of triangles and then squared off the block.


This week I also received my wonky stars and 4-patches from Jane, hostess of the Wonky Star exchange that I participated in last month. I pinned them all to the back of a quilt and I can see that if I make two more star blocks, and 2 more 4-patch blocks, I will have enough for a little quilt, and I love little quilts! 




The star blocks are 6.5 in. and the 4-patches are 5.5 in.  I'll frame the blocks to make them the same size,  sew them together, and I'll have my little quilt!  Thanks to Jane for coordinating and for all the wonderful contributors of the blocks!  


The mail man also brought me a little box of goodies from my friend, Kaaren. I had so much fun making a tabletopper with selvedges awhile back, that this little chickie (visit her at The Painted Quilt...you'll know what I mean about chickie...) gifted me with lots more selvedges...I actually have visions of pincushions made with selvedges, so stay tuned! Thank you,Kaaren! 




I have to tell you about a blog I have been visiting now for 24 days in a row. I love Christmas, that is not a secret, so when I saw what Carol was going to do at her blog, Carol's Crafty Creations, I was hooked!  In her own words,  
For the month of July I'm going to attempt to post something everyday for Christmas. Could be a Christmas decoration or a Christmas gift. Either way it's my plan to get a good amount of Christmas stuff done."
Carol is having her very own Christmas in July! Her projects have been so wonderful, so creative, so inspiring, so cute, and on and on...so please visit her and tell her Lesley sent you.  You will love it! Here is a picture of today's project taken from her blog.



Did you hear about Madame Samm's  Dots on Dots Blog Hop? 


We all love dots...so head on over to sign up with Corrie at Quilt Taffy. Corrie is so cool...you will love her!  Registration closes on Friday, so don't be late...let's all go dotty!


And did you hear about the Madame Samm's Bowls With Borders blog hop?  139 participants!  Carol must be going nuts really having fun coordinating all these little bowl making quilters! Carol is a doll, and even though I know she is a busy little bee, she is still inspiring us almost daily with her creations and words of quilting wisdom! 





Six days left before the Think Christmas blog hop begins...please let there be some Santas...giggle...






I'm off to volunteer today at The Quilt Shop at the Causeway, so if you come to Cape Breton today, I will be there to greet you! I'm taking my sewing machine to sew my Festive Mystery blocks together...no internet at the Shop, so guess I'll just have to sew!


It's a great day for quilting!





21 comments:

  1. I could spend all day reading the blogs and still find more. You are a navigator. Hope you can see my email this time. Aurea

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of goodies here today! I don't need to update on my blog, I'll just send them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Schnibbles granny square block. Always love your choice of color in fabrics. I really need to make this one as I see it all over in blogland and I enjoy every block I see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, with all that you have going on, I am just tired out..retirement by dear suits you to a T...or should I say hop along lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much in this post, Lesley, that now I can't remember all that I saw and read, but I saw some cute sewing! Have a fun sewing day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So mush fun in this post! I have to read it twice so I do not miss anything. I see one of my Wonky stars and one of my four patches. Love all your goodies! I am off to visit the "Christmas" blog you gave a link to. Enjoy your day at the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many yummies in this post,love all them and your granny block is my favorite.Have a fun Christmas blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also a fan of the Wonderclips and Schnibbles of course! congrats on winning the prize :-) Your Roadshow quilt is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our Schnibbles could be twins! I made Roadshow using the Friendship fabric. I can't wait to see yours and compare!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of lovely stuff,thanks for showing.
    Laura x
    Congratulations on your win,

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful box of goodness you received from Carrie. Receiving a box from her is like Christmas morning. Love your Roadshow block.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice package from Carrie! Love your blocks, you are doing a super job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your block and how great was that to win the giveaway that is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your Roadshow block and all the other goodies you showed Lesley! I'm also a big fan of the Wonderclips (and Pinmoors)...both great for avoiding all those 'ouch' moments with pins!!! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucky you with the win and a great choice of fabric for your Roadshow blocks.... those blocks look very similar to the Great Granny blocks. SO many quiltalong and blog hops out there - I need a few days computer time to catch up!! Your wonky Stars are going to be so cute and I love the look of those clips -I'll have to see if they are available here yet. Hope you got some good sewing done at Cape Breton today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The road house block really does look like the granny square blocks , love your fabrics and lucky you to win all these goodies and also to receive all those selvages from Kaaren. The wonder clips look great , haven't tried those yet.Hope you had a good day at the shop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome win! Love the block you made with your new charm pack. That will be a sweet quilt. I have a few quilty buddies in NB who save their selvages for me. Anxious to see what you make with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another one of your newsy posts that leave me breathless, Lesley. Whew!

    Your winnings from Carrie are wonderful! I know that you'll put them to good use.

    Not 5 minutes ago I printed the instructions from Moda Bake Shop for the Christmas wreath as a result of seeing it on Carol's blog. Coincidence or what?

    Hope you had a great day of sewing at The Quilt Shop in between BUYING customers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. What the heck is Schnibbles? I'm sure it is something I should be making if you are.
    2. Love those clips. I must have them (and not just because you have them.)
    3. Those square are beautiful, as usual. You really are inspiring!
    4. That other "Carol" sounds pretty amazing. Must be something about that name.
    5. There's actually about 168 bowl crazy people who have joined in. Thanks for the little plug about it.
    6. I was already nuts before I started hosting the bowls, so I couldn't "go" nuts. I am having fun, though.
    7. I'm off now to Think Christmas, Bowls, and Dots!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love Schnibbles.....

    lots of things going on out there, lots of fun things!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful blocks and what wonderful gifts! I saw that you were the winner! Can't wait to see what you make with all the selvages and my goodness have you ever been busy!! Enjoy your volunteer day, sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!