Friday, July 6, 2012

Schnibbles and Blog Hops

What a week!  Summer is officially here with lots of family fun and frolic.  And in between all the adventures with family, I still managed to finish my June Schnibbles quilt top in plenty of time for the "Another Year of Schnibbles" parade.


You may remember the picture of my quilt in a previous post.The June quilt was aptly named "Leap Year" by designer Carrie Nelson.  I first blogged about it in a previous post here.  Because of the colors that remind me of watermelons,  I call my quilt "Watermelon Summer". This is the picture that made the parade.



The parade of quilts was  featured on July 1 by hosts Sinta, of The Pink Pincushion,  and Sherri, A Quilting Life. If you haven't seen the parades yet, check them out now for some pictures of great quilts and lots of inspiration. 


And guess what?  I was a big winner!  A random drawing of participants of the Schnibbles parade was made by Sinta and Sherri and I will be receiving a Tradewinds Layer Cake by Lily Ashbury and a box of Wonder Clips from Miss Schnibbles herself, Carrie Nelson. Wouldn't you say I have the makings for another Schnibble?  And good news...the July Schnibbles will be "our choice" so I already have the Roadshow pattern purchased and I'm all set to get started. Thanks so much to Sinta, Sherri, and Carrie for this Quilt Along and my generous prize.  

I was so happy to get my "Watermelon Summer" pieced that I just had to get the quilting done quickly.  



I chose two colors of perle cotton, a shade of green and a shade of coral, to compliment the colors of the quilt and I used my favorite "utility " stitches ( ie. long stitches!).  I alternated the color of thread from one block to the next. Can you see the little boxes formed by the quilting? 



I decided to make a pieced back. I'm usually a creature of habit and generally purchase a large coordinated piece of backing for my quilts, but I have seen so many quilts lately that have such interesting backs that I just had to try this out.  So I pieced together some blocks and a few pieces of fabric and this is the result...what I think is a very interesting back! 




And of course a little label that just screams summer is surrounded by a bright green and white polka dot binding.  A little cuddle quilt all ready to be cuddled up in! 




I'm definitely in vacation mode these days with the family, but still try to peek in to the Celebrate Red, White and Blue Blog Hop going on right now, created by our very own Madame Samm at Sew We Quilt and hosted by lovely Jane of Jane's Fabrics and Quilts.   




Every day through and including July 16, bloggers from across the globe are scheduled to post a picture (or two or more!) of a red, white and blue block on their post. I was one of the first group of bloggers who posted on July 1 and what a blast it was!  Every day, two of the blocks are featured as the favorites and I was soooo fortunate to receive that recognition for my Pinwheel block. You can see my July 1 post and my blocks here. 


It has only been 5 days and already over 92 blocks have been featured, with all blocks posted on Madame Samm's Pinterest site right here.  So, if you haven't started hopping from blog to blog to see all these creations, what are you waiting for?  There are giveaways, there are tutorials, there are blocks to inspire!  Here is the schedule for today.

July 6th


The complete blog hop schedule is right here.


Now, you know what I'm going to tell you next...you've got to Think Christmas


We have over 50 people registered for the Think Christmas blog hop from July 30-August 3. As you probably know by now, yours truly (me) is hosting this blog hop with lots of help from creator Madame Samm. So I'm hoping that the Think Christmas participants  are now immersed in their sewing rooms creating some Christmas magic! I sent an email to all participants a couple of weeks ago. If you are registered and didn't get the email from me, please send me an email to connect at  lcarruthers3@gmail.com. 


I've made just a bit of a  start on my own Think Christmas block, so here is just a little peek, and I just bet you know what it is! 




That's it for now.  You can see that I am pretty wordy today...I'm doing more visiting than quilting and blogging these days, so posts will continue to be a little scarce for a little longer.  But don't delay...get ready for the Think Christmas party coming to you in just 25 more days...and you know how fast July goes!


It's a great day for quilting!


13 comments:

  1. 25 days? It's coming that soon? Oh, my! I've had RWB and bowls on the brain. Now you show me your cute watermelon quilt and I had the biggest urge to veer off to make one of those. Focus, focus, focus! Luckily, I have my little plan of action for Christmas hopping so I'll be ready. Congrats on winning the layer cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley, you Watermelon Summer is beautiful! I especially love the quilting, and the label is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley, your Watermelon Summer quilt is very pretty and very summery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Watermelon Summer quilt is gorgeous! Congratulations on winning in the random drawing that is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pieced backing and how you quilted your pretty Watermelon Summer quilt Lesley!! Congrats on your win (you are going to love using those Wonder Clips..they're one of my favorite tools!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilt...super job!! I have my plan all layed out for the christmas stuff. I will sew on them this weekend when I have friends over...I am also making a giveaway as well. Oh...I have my fabric layed out for our blocks too!! I am sewing again...!!!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your win with your lovely Watermelon Summer quilt. Lots of fun to be had with your prizes. Sounds like you are well on the way with the next one.
    I'm looking forward to the Christmas hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely quilt! can't wait to get started on my Christmas blocks i was planning out what I am going to make tonight

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome finish! I love how you did the quilting. The back is so nice. Great job.
    Congrats on your win. How wonderful is that!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Watermelon Summer quilt. The name is just perfect! What size squares did you use in your 16 patches? I love the way you stitched around each patchy square. Just sets it off so nicely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have so much going on it's a wonder you get your quilts done. And they always look beautiful. Love Watermelon Summer. And you did a lovely job on the label.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whew, I'm breathless! So much going on!

    Your Watermelon Summer Schnibble looks good enough to eat. Great finish, Lesley. Your energy is boundless and you put us all...well, me anyway...to shame.

    Enjoy the weekend with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Watermelon Summer ,what a perfect name for a perfect quilt!Lucky you winning the layer cake , you will have fun using that in another schibbles ;-) Enjoy your family and this great weather.
    hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!