Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Schnibbles August Parade Day

If you are here for the schedule for the Think Christmas blog hop, click HERE to go to my earlier post today.


We're right in the midst of the Think Christmas blog hop, but I didn't want to forget about the Schnibbles parade day!  Unfortunately I didn't get my quilt done for today's parade for Another Year of Schnibbles , but you know I have a pretty good excuse.  Five days on the couch with an aching back sure cuts in to your sewing time! 

But just because I'm not in the parade doesn't mean you shouldn't go and enjoy it!  Both Sinta at the Pink Pincushion and Sherri at A Quilting Life will love to have you drop by and see the gorgeous quilts.  They'll each have a parade today. Just click on their links. I've already seen a few sneak previews by some our blog friends and what I have seen has been gorgeous!

I was finally able to get off the couch and get to my sewing corner for awhile yesterday and managed to get a few blocks made. I started this quilt in early July when I had all intents and purposes on finishing it in time. Remember reading about it here?  But life happens.  


First thing I did was say hello to my sewing corner. It had been far too long!  I am always happy when I can sit at the sewing machine, swivel in my chair, press my pieces, and turn back to the sewing machine.  I have to find a way to improve my lighting so I don't have a white cord hanging down...but that's for another day. 




.
In the back corner you might catch a glimpse of a few tiny quilt shops!  These shops are actually rocks painted in the shape of quilt shops. There are little tiny bolts of fabrics painted in the windows!  Here is a close up...these "rock shops" were acquired many years ago and were made by Debbie Jardine of Pictou, Nova Scotia. 




There is a quilt show and sale in Pictou this weekend. The 18th annual Northumberland Quilt Guild 18th annual show and sale will be held at the DeCoste Centre on August 3 and 4 from 10-5. If all goes well, we certainly plan to head up.  Pictou is about an hour and a half from here, and a couple of farmers' markets on the way, so it shows promise of a great day!.  

Getting back to my Schnibbles quilt,  designer Carrie Nelson at Miss Rosies Quilt Co. gives some great instructions on piecing Roadshow quickly, but I just don't like sewing triangles so I decided to make background squares instead and square up the block when finished.  Here are the progressions I used to make the blocks, using the Friendship fabric by Moda that I received from Carrie in my giveaway package last month. 

















To square up each block, I pressed the block in halves in both directions and used the press lines as the midway point when I squared the block up with my 12.5 inch ruler. 




I have a total of three four blocks made.  Will show you the finished top whenever it is dine, just don't hold your breath! 


I received a giveaway prize of 2 charm packs the other day from Sue at Sue Duario's Quilting Adventures.  Of course I see another Schnibbles quilt in the making! Thanks so much, Sue, the Katie fabrics are beautiful!




I think I've written enough for one day!  See you tomorrow for Day 4 of the Think Christmas blog hop. 


It's a great day for quilting!


6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling better Lesley and always love to see a glimpse at your sewing space, love those rock quilt shops! I like the way you made your block and congrats on your great win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are so pretty. Great shortcut you've shared! What width strips are you using? Looks like jelly roll size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blocks Lesley and glad you are back at the machine , it must feel good . Hope to see you at the show this weekend.Love those rocks , Cute :-) Nice win and isn't that card adorable. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blocks and those cute quilt rock shops! Glad you're feeling better Lesley!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a perfectly good excuse for not finishing this time. It's far more important for you to get well. And haven't you been extra busy with a few other things as well? :)
    Love the block and the fabrics. Look forward to seeing it finished.
    And your rock shops are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking your Roadshow so far! I don't think I've seen this Schnibble before - I think I might get the pattern. I like your method too - I avoid triangles if at all possible - LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!