Saturday, September 15, 2012

Quilts in Progress

I found my sewing corner this week and have lots of QIPs to show you. What is a QIP? A quilt in progress, of course. As you know, most of my quilts are small ones. It just gives me so much satisfaction to go from start to finish in a short amount of time.You may have seen these in various stages, so a little update was in order.

"Friendship Garden" by Lynne at Kansas Trouble Quilts and Pam at Heartspun Quilts is all set to applique. I purchased the wool kit and had a wonderful quilt friend help me fuse them in place...I was kind of afraid to put iron to wool. Now I am over the learning curve so woolies beware!

I have one more little hexie flower to add to the empty stem in the lower corner and then I'm ready to start appliqueing by hand using some wonderful variegated brown Valdani 12. I could eat this quilt!

I started my block for the Leafs Me Happy blog hop created by Madame Samm at Sew We Quilt and coordinated by the fabulous Cherry at Cherry Blossoms Quilting Studio. My day is October 1 and I was thrilled to look into my cupboards and see the gorgeous fabrics that I won awhile back from Kaaren at The Painted Quilt.  I'm an October baby, so I've always gravitated towards these colors.  How yummy!


I decided to combine a couple of projects using this fabric - the blog hop where I'll be making a 12.5" block, plus the September Schnibbles called "Speck". It is one of the new Little Bites creations by Carrie Nelson at Miss Rosie's Quilt Company that uses mini-charm packs also called Moda Candy...gotta love these "scrumptious" names for fabric!

I cut my fabrics into the little mini-charms and before you could say "Schnibbles", I finished my little quilt.  But I won't show you the finished project 'till October 1 so be sure you come back!


My "Spare Change" quilt by Lynne is all sandwiched and ready to go. I love these Christmas fabrics!


I am seriously thinking of machine quilting this little baby in a crosshatch pattern, but am a little afraid to try. I'll mark the design first and then put pedal to the metal, and of course, I'll keep my seam ripper very close to me at all times.  The quilt is 32" x 36" so should be a good size to start with. I tried machine quilting many years ago but didn't like the results...but sewing machines and gadgets have improved since then (more on that in another post) and I hope I have improved in my sewing, so now is the time to try it again. Fingers crossed...

I always like to have a Santa on the go, so I had a friend enlarge the First Friday Freebie pattern designed by Kaaren at The Painted Quilt, traced the "Christmas Eve" pattern with my light box, and got a little start just the other day. I'm working at The Quilt Shop at the Causeway this afternoon so may take this to work on when things are quiet!



My Hexagon Flowers Doll Quilt is also a "ready to take"project. The quilt is designed by Kathleen Tracey, A Sentimental Quilter, and is actually the October quilt for the Small Quilt of the Month quiltalong. Kathleen gave us a great head's up so I will be sure to have it finished by the end of October!


What's New in the Quilting World? Don't forget to check out the Dots on Dots blog hop going on until September 21. You will be so impressed with the fantastic dotty creations!
Corrie at Quilt Taffy is doing a fantastic job of hosting...see the schedule here and make sure you have a peek at Madame Samm's pinterest page with pictures of ALL the blog hops in one place!  Click right hereThere are new blog hops announced every few weeks so be sure you visit Sew We Quilt on a regular basis...the hops usually fill up pretty fast!

If you live in my part of the world, just want you to know that The Tea Thyme Quilters (my quilt quild) will be hosting the Ocean Waves Quilt Society (another quild I belong to) quarterly meeting on Saturday, September 29 at 11:00 am at St. Mark's Church Hall in Port Hawkesbury. In addition to a very short business meeting and luncheon, we will be welcoming fabric artist/designer/illustrator and author Adrienne Yorinks.  Adrienne, a native of New York who spends her summers in beautiful Cape Breton, will be bringing 150 bolts of fabric that she designed and will have it for sale at $10 a metre. This will be a unique opportunity to shop at home. Below is a picture from her web site.


We have recently been stunned and saddened by the news that two local quilt shops (both within 1 1/2 hours from here)  have closed or are closing in the next couple of weeks. I wish all the best to Kim at Harbour Quilt Company and the gals at Lucy's Fabrics and Gifts.  I and many others will certainly miss you...

It's a great day for quilting!
  

17 comments:

  1. You have been a busy girl!! Everything's looking just loverly! I've been eyeing that Santa embroidery pattern as my next 'to go' project!! Enlarging it is a good idea! Have fun at the causeway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is just beautiful but your Santa is my favorite.Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, your hands have just been flying! Thank you for sharing this bundle of awesomeness with us. I really need to get my focus on. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you sure have been sew busy Lesley!! What pretties you've created...look forward to seeing all your finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many projects, you are so busy.
    I like, what i see. And your Santa....i did't start christmas projects yet.
    Sorry, my english is so bad today, i want to say more, but i don't find the right words.
    Hugs from Germany

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many lovely projects,and I love them all.
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of lovely QIPs. Good luck with the machine quilting. I too need to give that a try, hopefully very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a busy lady! I love seeing all your beautiful projects that inspire me and make me want to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No time for grass to grow under your feet, Lesley. My but you've been busy!

    Lovely QIP's and can't wait to see them finished...which will probably be tomorrow, right? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok I have got to come back on Oct 1 to see what you do with those gorgeous fall colors. I'm with you, just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of activity in the Lesley sewing room , your projects are just gorgeous and those colors are a wow!Wonder what you are up to with those cute fall colors ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see your cruise quilts, they look great. Finishing is a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of goodies in this post! Love your Spare Change and your hexagons. They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've inspired me to get out my hexies and finish the quilt. It is the same Kathy Tracy one you've done. You have lots of wonderful projects going, love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great quilts! love the flower garden hexagons I haven't caught the hexagon bug yet
    but this quilt maybe I may just give it a try!
    the leftover quilt is wonderful!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lesley ~ Loved having you and Dave on the cruise with us. Good times! You're making great progress with your cruise projects....and I love the other things you're working on. Hope to have you join us on another Great Girlfriend Getaway!! Keep in touch...Pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. always sad to hear another shop is closing in Canada......your quilt projects alway are outstanding..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!