Friday, September 21, 2012

Spools, Rugs, and Sewing Machines


I finally finished my spool quilt! I used lots of homespuns and hand quilting to give it that primitive look. The spools were quilted along the "thread" lines, the alternating blocks were quilted with a posy design, and the pieced borders were quilted along each block. I did play with adding some buttons, but decided to remove them...my quilting mentors were right on the mark when they said the buttons detracted from the spools.  Thanks, mentors!


I started it with a friend awhile back in one of our Chip and Dale sessions, and what fun we had! There was certainly excitement in the room when we completed our quilt tops. Miss Chip used some wonderful batiks and sent hers out to Lynda at Fiddlestitches to be machine quilted.  Love the thread spooling through those blocks!


The little quilts, 30" x 36", were adapted from a pattern by Edyta Sitar, Laundry Basket Quilts, from her book Friendship Strips and Scraps. Love Edyta's creations!



I haven't tried rug hooking, but I have some friends who do it, love it, and create some wonderful masterpieces!  Some of these friends were over last night for a quilting and rug hooking session.  I just have to share a picture of the rug that friend Paula has finished. It is absolutely amazing...


Paula has been hooking for several years now and her enthusiasm and skill for this art is awe-inspiring!  Thanks, Paula, for letting me share this with my readers.  On a side note, Paula was one of the two ladies that introduced me to quilting when I arrived in this town many years ago, and thank goodness she did...what would I do with myself as a retired lady if I didn't have my sewing corner to keep me out of trouble?  

And speaking of sewing corners, I have a new addition! I treated myself to a new sewing machine a few weeks ago...the Pfaff Ambition Essential! 


While I was on vacation, I received an email from the Pfaff folks spreading the word about a new sewing machine that was coming out in the Fall flyer.  A Pfaff sewing machine has been on my wish list for some time now, but I was being very smart, saving my money, and waiting for a sale. I had placed some quilted items for sale in The Quilt Shop at the Causeway this summer with the idea of saving for a new machine. After all, I'm now retired and have to be smart and frugal, right?

Long story short, when the email came, I was so excited...I just had to find out more about it. I checked right into it, inquired at a few stores and online, and soon found an Ambition Essential with my name on it at an unbelievable price.  I had enough money already saved to purchase the machine, an extension table, and several feet.   

My Pfaff was purchased from Angie at Quilting on the Mira, a fabric shop in Sydney about an hour and a half from here.  It's a machine that is very reasonably priced and still has many of the bells and whistles that the more expensive machines have. It works like a charm and I already adore it. How materialistic I am...I love my new baby! 

The 1/4 inch foot is a dream, as is the Stitch in the Ditch foot.  I machine quilted my first project and am very pleased. Sometimes I watch the needle instead of the little guide, but I'm getting better! And the good news is that a sewing project went from start to complete finish in a couple of days.



I'll show you more when you come back to visit on Monday, October 1, my day in the Leafs Me Happy blog hop.  The hop takes place from October 1-10, created by Madame Samm at Sew We Quilt and hosted by Cherry at Cherry Blossoms Quilting Studio. See the complete schedule on Cherry's blog right here. 

What's up in Blogland?

Today is the last day for the Dots on Dots blog hop.  There are just so many phenomenal projects to look at and be inspired by! Check out Madame Samm's adorable dotty red shoes and much, much more at Sew We Quilt.  View today's schedule by visiting Corrie at Quilt Taffy and check out all the other creative "last day ladies".  The pictures from all the blog hops are posted on Madame Samm's Pinterest page at Sew We Quilt.

There's a new Block of the Week that started three weeks ago that has me very interested.  Barbara Brackman's Material Culture is posting a free pattern a week for the Grandmother's Choice Sampler made using 8" blocks.  Barbara set up a web page, http://grandmotherschoice.blogspot.com specifically for the BOW. She is a well-known historian, so while sewing, we also get to learn about those strong, courageous women who came before us. And it isn't too late to follow...you (and I) could catch up in no time!

It's a great day for quilting!

18 comments:

  1. Your spools are wonderful Lesley , great job on the quilting .Chip's spools look amazing too and wow on Paula's rug, isn't that incredible . I have peaked at the BOM and I am so tempted BUT it might be best if I turn my head the other way :-)Enjoy this rainy day quilting .

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful spool quilt and congrats on the new machine.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt and your new baby! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Spool quilt is gorgeous Lesley! I have that book too and drool over the pattern! It's sounds like you are loving your new machine, it sounds like a fabulous purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have sewing machine envy. What a nice machine. I'm on the lookout for a new machine that is geared for quilters so I appreciate your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your spools quilt. I want to make one too. Welcome to the Pfaffie world..it is a very special world....I have lots of experience so feel free to get in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a novice hooker, I have to say that Paula's hooked rug is amazing. The pattern looks very Jacobean and the colors are gorgeous.

    Love your spool quilt and your new Pfaff looks very sleek and sophisticated. You'll be churning out quilts in record time now...not that you didn't before. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of fun things on your blog today...love your new machine!! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the new addition to your sewing family. How exciting! It looks like a wonderful machine. Have lots of fun with it.
    By the way, the spool quilt is gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your new machine! I love the even-feed on the Pfaff machines.

    Love your spool quilt - very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome home new machine....she is a beauty ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your spool quilt and you are so right...that hook rug is breath taking. Congratulations on your new baby. New machines are so exciting. Now she just needs a name!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your spool quilt and your friend's too. The new machine looks lovely and smart and shiny, I hope you have loads of fun with her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your spool quilt looks so beautiful in those warm, cuddly colors. Your new machine looks lovely, too. I love new toys like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your spool quilt is beautiful. The colors are wonderful. I have liked Pfaff sewing machines a long time. So glad you found one so close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your new Pfaff. I'd like one too--but not the model you have [although it's very nice, I'm sure]. The model I'd like is a vintage Pfaff 130--preferably already in a treadle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your spool quilt, it looks great. I'm in the market for a new machine, and was considering a Pfaff. I've had a Husqvarna for years, but thought I might try something different this time. I came across your blog lately, on the site that promotes NS quilt blogs. I'm from down Digby way. I added you to my list, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful quilt Lesley and what a neat new sewing machine! You'll have lots of fun with this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!