Sunday, October 21, 2012

Christmas Quilts

While everyone else in blogland seems to be immersed in orange, black, and purple fabrics, I have been busy with red, greens, and golds and loving every minute. In my house, you can never start too early to get ready for Christmas! 

I finished my Festive Mystery Christmas quilt in lots of time for the holidays.  I had it pieced awhile back and recently received it back from the longarmer. 


The quilt was designed by Quilt Sue of Quilt Times I made it as part of her Christmas Quiltalong. (See the button on my sidebar). The exquisite quilting was done by Angie from Quilting on the Mira quilt shop and is just the special touch the quilt needed! 

A group of us from across the globe started the 6-part mystery quiltalong in February, meeting once a month in blogland.  The QAL was created by Sue and hosted by a variety of wonderful quilter friends along the way. We meet on the second Saturday of the month, working along on our mystery quilt or any other Christmas-related projects.  Our next QAL day will be November 10 so I'll be ready to work on another Christmas project. It's never too late to join us.  The instructions for the Festive quilt are at the top of my blog so I hope you decide to make one.  It's about 40 x 60...a perfect sized quilt to cuddle up in, to put at the foot of your bed, or to throw across a chair to make your home cozy and Christmasy! 

I also finished my "Spare Change" quilt.  This little quilt, about 32 x 35, is designed by Lynne Hagmeier using Holiday Medley fabrics from her Kansas Troubles line.  This was one of three quilt projects that were offered by instructors Lynne of Kansas Troubles and Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts on the quilting cruise I joined in August. 


I became very brave when the quilt was sandwiched and decided to do some machine quilting.  I did an allover cross hatch design with the lines about an inch and a half apart. I drew the first two lines, a big "x", with chalk, stitched these lines, and then used the quilting guide for the rest of the quilt. Very easy!  My walking foot, which is built right into the Pfaff, made it so easy to quilt with no puckers.  I used a dark thread for the machine quilting, and then, because I love to hand quilt and I wanted to be creative, pulled out my gold perle cotton and added a few rows of hand quilting in the borders. It really is gold, even though some of the pictures make it look white.  



Love these fabrics!  Lynne taught us her raw edge applique technique and even brought along a special ruler for us that she designed for use with this pattern! 


I always like to use my stash fabrics for the backing and think this works alright!


And of course, my little label!  I'm running out of them so will have to place another order with "Mommie Made It", my "go-to" girl for custom made labels. 


I decided to run outside and take a few more pictures with the iPad as the sun was going down...same quilt, but the colours sure changed when I changed the direction of the camera. You can see that Fall has arrived in our backyard! 



I have several more Christmas projects in the wings...I'll be sure to keep you posted!

What's up in blogland? Yes, Madame Samm's Wicked Blog Hop is finally ready to be unwrapped. 
It all starts tomorrow and Wicked host Wendy is so ready to try to keep all the witches and goblins in line. For the complete schedule, visit her at Why-Not-Kwilt. 

This month I have been following Norma at Petit Design Co. to learn more about machine quilting.



I'm not ready for free motion yet, so instead, I have been thoroughly enjoying Norma's design ideas and helpful hints. I didn't know that there was so much that could be done using a straight stitch.  Even circles...she makes it look so easy!  Click on the Walking Foot button on the sidebar and you'll be taken to Day One of Walking Foot Quilting.  But then be sure to keep clicking to see the whole series to date. 

Thanks for coming by!  Off to relax in front of the TV and put on a few labels.

It's a great day for quilting!

20 comments:

  1. Loving both those quilts. The machine quilting on the Christmas quilt is so pretty.
    Off to see the walking foot blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilts as usual Lesley, Looking forward to your Christmas goodies.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very pretty! I made my first christmas work this august!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Festive Mystery looks super. You are so ahead of me on that one. It must feel great to have it completed. I also love your Kansas Troubles quilt. Her fabrics have such a cozy feel to them. Such beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed and Sue.s design I gather that is hers,,,is very very nice...great job there...I want to quilt Christmas things lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilts are both gorgeous Lesley , and the quilting on both is really great ! I am going to check out the link for the walking foot , sounds interesting . hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these Chrstmas quilts! Your talent is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilting on your Christmas quilt. It looks wonderful! It's always a lovely surprise when the quilt comes back from the LAQ.
    I am also impressed with your quilting on your spare change quilt. Lovely idea to do the cross hatch quilting. And I like the personal touch of the hand quilting too.
    Great to see the outside pics and the lovely Autumn leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow great looking quilts!!! your festive mystery quilt looks so different than mine....but its the same layout...LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two gorgeous finishes, my friend!

    Your house is certainly going to be a quilter's wonderland this holiday season! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quilts, especially the one outside. Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post. I enjoyed reading it very much. You've been busy and your quilts are gorgeous. Bravo for machine quilting...a step closet to FMQ, something I have done very little of. I'm sew impressed with your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Christmas quilts, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilts are beautiful. Love them. So nice to see the Christmas quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Spare Change quilt is beautiful Lesley! You are so busy... thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful finishes! What a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, beautiful quilts, Lesley! I was just thinking the other day that it's getting close to time that I make a Christmas quilt. But alas, I have not finished the quilt I started last May! I never start a new quilt without finishing the previous one. How I dream of having the sewing time that you have. Your Fall trees are so gorgeous. Such a pretty time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilts are fabulous!!! Doesn't it feel soooo good to have some completions?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilts are great!! Love them both - I'm always amazed how different the photos come up in different lights, too. Good on you for getting brave with your walking foot - they really are a great foot, aren't they? Thank you for the link to the Walking Foot Quilting - I'll be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!