Friday, October 12, 2012

Grandmother's Choice and Forget-Me-Not

You may have noticed a new button cropping up in blog land that looks like this.


The button ( I have one on my sidebar if you scroll down)  will take you to Barbara Brackman's Block of the Week and I've decided to jump in and participate. You can find out all about it by visiting the blog Barbara created especially for this BOW program at http://grandmotherschoice.blogspot.com

For 49 weeks, Barbara, a well-known quilt historian and author who regularly blogs at Barbara Brackman's Material Culture, will be posting some really interesting stories of how women got the right to vote as well as instructions for an 8" finished quilt block based on the story.  Barbara and her friends also provide three color choices, so there is lots of information and inspiration. 

The quilt blocks are all based on the fight for women's rights, and what a story has already been told! Each Saturday, Barbara shares a new block for the Grandmother's Choice quilt on The Saturday Morning Post. This is the banner she uses for the blog:


I was a little late to the gate, but had been interested in this when I first heard about it last summer. I have several plastic bins filled with civil war/reproduction fat quarters and was waiting for the right project to come along. The BOW started on the first Saturday in September but I just never seemed to have the time to get started.  Well, this week I started and quickly caught up with all 6 blocks in no time at all.  

1. Grandmother's Choice 

2. Amyethyst Suffragettes 


3. Union Square: Red for Rebellion


4. Kansas Sunflower 
(P.S. This was the most difficult block I have ever made in my life, complete with applique and set-in seams, but I refused to give up!) 


5. New Jersey Suffrage Pioneer


6. Aunt Eliza's Star


As you can see, I am using a variety of colors and lots of variation with size of pattern which I think will keep the quilt pretty interesting. Hope you will think about participating!  One block a week...that's it! Have a look at the Flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/groups/grandmotherschoice/ to see what other folks are making. 

I have a little quilt top to show you!  At the same time as I was on the Alaskan quilting cruise in August with quilt teachers Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts and Lynn Hagemeier of Kansas Troubles Quilts participating in The Great Girlfriend Getaway, Pam was offering a free 8-week quiltalong on her blog.  I was kind of busy...yep,very busy, cruising and quilting, but loved Pam's blocks as they rolled out each week.  So this week, I grabbed my iPad for the instructions, went to my sewing corner, and completed the Pocket Patchwork Forget-Me-Not Quilt.  I chose to use blues, creams, and tans...some fabrics from Pam's line, Heart of the Prairie, plus fabrics from my stash. The blocks are 5 inches square, so the entire quilt is just my size...18" x 27". Thanks, Pam, it was really fun to make and see it come together!


I'm off to see a quilt show tomorrow today, Friday, at the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival in Amherst, Nova Scotia.  Will try to take lots of pics!  I'll follow the show with a Mom, Me and Sisters Two weekend, and of course we will all be thinking of Sister Three who lives just too far away for our "girls"weekends.

It's a great day for quilting!


19 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun challenge, will have to consider that one. I'm so jealous, wish I was off to the show in Amherst today. Myself and three friends went last year and were absolutely wowed by the quilts but we just couldn't arrange the time this year. Hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are exquisite! And that little quilt, divine! I like to 'work small', too, although this summer has been all about big projects. I'll have to save all these little projects for my winter sewing in TX. Have fun at the Fibre Arts Festival. Look forward to hearing all about it! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Grandmother's Choice blocks all look terrific - I like all the variety in your color and motif size. Your Kansas Sunflower is especially nice! I'm envious - I have yet to tackle that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blocks, lovely work as usual, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love your blocks! I really wanted to get on board with this too, but I'm so far behind on my Farmer's Wife blocks, that I chose not to. I still may though as I just love anything reproduction. Your little quilt you made on the cruise is just wonderful. How lucky for you to be able to go along on that!! I used to live in Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lesley I love all of your blocks and good for you persisting to get that circle block completed , looks great .Think I will turn the other way as I have way too much on my plate already but they do look like fun. I have Pam's blocks printed and really want to do that at some time as I love the small quilts. Enjoy the show , wish I could come.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are lovely, Lesley. I'll be anxious to see your progress and journey on this project.

    The little quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blocks! I went to Barbara's site and loved looking at all of the old photos. She certainly is putting a lot of background information in this project.
    Have fun with your Mom and Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEAUTIFUL blocks and a gorgeous quilt! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it all. Too bad I'm way beyond busy to join in on any BOWs. I'll look forward to seeing the entire quilt completed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think those blocks are just wonderful. I'm going to check out those pages. I have a huge bin full of reproduction fabric I've been saving. I'd love to do this. Thank you for this information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blocks look wonderful. I really like your fabric choices. I have been saving the block patterns, but haven't started them yet. When I read the instructions for the Kansas Sunflower, I almost fell over. You did a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blocks and your little quilt Lesley! Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great fabrics for Grandmother's Choice and excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blocks look great...especially the sunflower one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a very interesting way to work through a series of blocks. I really like the idea of a history lesson with each block. Love the ones you have done so far.
    And your forget-me-not quilt is rather sweet, too. Gorgeous blues and creams you have put together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love civil war quilts, but it just isn't going to happen for me right now...darn. I'll live vicariously through you and watch you sew them all. Love what you've done so far!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blocks for blocks for women are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you are having a great day quilting.
    some fantastic blocks, indeed. I thought about doing them but changed my mind. I was afraid I couldn't keep up.
    Your blue blocks are great too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!