Monday, October 29, 2012

I'll Bet You Can't Make Just One

These are the words written on the instructions for the Nostalgic Christmas Pillows and Quilt pattern by quilt designer Lynn of Sew'n
Wild Oaks . And this lady sure knows what she's talking about! You already saw the first two blocks I made in my previous post and today I'll show you my latest two blocks, because once you start, you just can't stop! 






Yes, I am addicted to these blocks! I really didn't have much of a plan...I just started following Lynn's instructions and framed the centre blocks with reds, greens, and plaids. Here are my finished blocks so far...



I've been lucky so far to have enough fabrics in my stash to compliment the Sentiments fabrics. So now I have to decide whether to continue with the red and green theme, or vary the colors of the blocks like Lynn did in her original design.  The Sentiments layer cake has some beautiful soft blues to coordinate with the softer reds and greens, so may try a few of these.  Or I can just let the fabrics talk to me and just see what grabs me!  

As I was going through my fabrics, I found a strip of fabric that would have been very useful in this block, but I just didn't have enough. I started to look for "burgundy polka dot" fabric in some of the online fabric catalogues, but it is like finding a needle in a haystack.  So I'm coming to you for help.  Does anyone know the name of this fabric so I can try to find some more? I have no idea where or when I purchased it.  It is a burgundy pindot and the color would be so perfect with so many of my projects. I should have put a thimble in the picture to give you an idea of the size of the dots...they are tiny!   The wood floor strips behind the fabric are 2 1/4 inch.  If you recognize this fabric, please let me know the name and then it's full speed ahead to find some more. 


You may remember that I showed you my finished mini-quilt top that was designed and offered as a complimentary quiltalong by Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts called Pocket Patchwork Forget-Me-Not.  I had finished the top but  just kept thinking that it needed a little something else. I decided to add a couple of borders to it and am very pleased with the results.  A couple of pics, some outside and some in...







The quilt top now measures about 25 x 34...just the right size to hand quilt! 

Pam has told us that she has already designed her third Pocket Patchwork Quiltalong, a pattern that she says will be great to make with our scraps!  I've done the first two quiltalongs, so of course I plan to jump on the bandwagon for this one.   The quiltalong will be 5 weeks in duration, with one post a week. Visit Pam's blog here for more info.

For everyone in the path of Hurricane Sandy, please batten down the hatches and stay safe. Kathie at Inspired by Antique Quilts has the right idea...she has spent the last few days attaching the bindings on some quilts so if the power goes out, she can sit in a comfy chair and hand quilt!

And Sharon at Vrooman's Quilts is also doing the same.  She posted her blog a little earlier than usual and assures us that her house is at the top of a hill and she is well prepared.  Sending virtual hugs to you all!

And here in Cape Breton we are expecting rain, rain, and more rain as a result of Sandy. In case of a power outage, I have labels and bindings all set to go, and of course, another quilt or two to work on...



Hurricane Sandy may be all over the news channels, but Madame Samm's Wicked Blog Hop is all over blogland! Today is Day 6 and the wicked creations just keep on coming with lots of inspiration and fun! Even the Cuddle Quilter, the most un-Halloween person there is, has been wickedly inspired and is now planning some wicked good projects for next year. Hop host Wicked Wendy at Why-Not-Kwilt is doing an awesome job!

It's a great day for quilting!



14 comments:

  1. Your blocks are simply gorgeous and the finished quilt is great with the added bindings. I hope you find more of that dot fabric you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job Lesley, hope the storm doesn't hit too hard, we have lots of snow over here!
    Keep warm and dry x

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely showing..you amaze me with your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Christmas blocks are just wonderful and the blues are gorgeous. I love that color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray you stay safe Lesley and out of harm's way. I love your sentiment blocks. I have bought some of this gorgeous fabric too...love it. Beautiful quilt as well.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lesley , I love your blocks , they are down right gorgeous , those fabrics are so pretty. I do recognize that dotted fabric I used it a while back ,I know I do not have anymore but will check for a small piece to see if I can retrieve the name for you . Your little quilt is sweet too and I must see what the latest quilt along will be , I enjoy doing those. Keep safe during the storm :-) hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blocks Lesley! You do my pattern PROUD! Stay safe through the storm.
    Love and hugs,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn's patterns are beautiful....stay safe....and dry...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blocks too. Your blog is full of wonderful quilts and ideas. I'll check out the information you gave about the quilt alongs. I really like the patchwork forget me not. HST's are my favorite too. What a great blog you have. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember you saying that these blocks had hooked you and you had to make more. And look what's happened. Lovely.
    I agree that the borders on your mini quilt help to finish it off nicely.
    We have kept up with all the news of the hurricane over here, too. Thankfully our family are all safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always amazed by what you've got going on on your blog. I can see why those pillows are addicting, your's look lovely. I would stick with the greens and reds, they look so great together I wonder if adding blue would be a distraction?

    Love your borders on your Forget Me Not, we won't forget it now! I agree a perfect size for hand quilting, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, you are getting a lot accomplished...love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow do you have a lot going on Lesley! Your blocks are so neat, I hope you find more of the dot fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm making Lynn's pillows, too! You're so right - you just can't make one! Wish I could help with the dots. When that happens to me, I just go back through my stash and scraps and always manage to find something I didn't see in the first dig-through!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!