Thursday, October 25, 2012

Little Red Birdie and Nostalgic Christmas

This has been an exceptional week!  The other day, I checked the mail while I was out doing errands and this is what was in my mail box...


 

a Little Red Birdie postcard gifted to me by Annie from Annie's Musings. Gotta love Annie's button! 



Little Red Birdie arrived safely and in perfect shape, postmarked and dated accordingly. The detail, all so neat and tidy, is stunning, from the stitching to the stamping to the lettering!



It amazes me that this little work of art travelled throughout the postal system from the southwest in the USA all the way up to the northeast to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada!  Little Red Birdie travelled for 19 days and arrived in pristine condition. Thank you, Annie! It is exquisite and I will give it a very good home.  In fact, I even found a few birdhouses in the house so Little Red Birdie will be very comfortable!



I am in such awe of the talent and skill Annie has with these little creations.  Annie is so generous with her fabric art that she will often post a her newly created postcards and offer to send them to someone who comments on her blog.  And how lucky I was...on September 30, Annie displayed a few postcards that were looking for homes, including Little Red Birdie.  I visit Annie's blog on a regular basis and am always impressed with her new works. On that day, I put my name in the hat, so to speak, and was so pleased when I received an email from Annie to say that Little Red Birdie would be mailed to my home, flying north and east to Canada!  

To see more pictures of Little Red Birdie and other fabulous works, visit Annie at Annie's Musings.  She will inspire you, intrigue you and amaze you, and just maybe you will be able to receive one of her postcards in the future, just saying...

Another lady who regularly inspires and amazes me is Lynne of Sew'n Wild Oaks.  Lynn is a regular attendee of the Christmas Quiltalong group created by Quilt Sue at Quilt Times so we "meet" on a monthly basis in our sewing rooms. I have been a follower of Lynn's blog for quite sometime.  Lynn is an avid quilter and designer and teaches workshops at the In Between Stitches quilt shop, a shop I wish was much closer to my home!  

I quickly fell in love with her "drop dead gorgeous" quilt, Country Charmer, and just "had" to have the pattern.  I ordered it from In Between Stitches without delay and have plans to start it in the new year. Head on over to the shop and have a look! If anyone else is interested in making this quilt and quilting along with me on a regular basis, please send me an email and maybe we can form a quiltalong group to nudge each other along to completion?  Patterns are still available at the quilt shop...just click here. I would love to have company making this quilt...maybe we could divide up the pattern into monthly segments and make a plan? 

And then along came Lynn's Nostalgic Christmas Pillows, a pattern that just wowed me and wooed me!  Lynn uses a Sentiments vintage postcard cut from the panel by Moda for the centre and frames the block with plaids, polkadots, and more.  I really, really, "had" to have this, so I ordered the pattern and some fabrics and this week I jumped in and made my first block. I used the vintage postcard for the centre, some fabrics from the matching Sentiments layer cake I have, and then added plaid, polkadots, and whatever else I thought would match from my stash. 


Here is the first block I made. The pattern is for an 18" pillow, but I made mine a little smaller so that I can use the blocks for table runners, mini-quilts, or even Christmas cards!




The vintage panel has 21 postcards, so I have lots more blocks to make.  In fact I quickly made another...


And have the centre started on block three...



I adore this pattern, the instructions are excellent, and I am so happy to be working on an exciting new Christmas project. And guess what?  Lynn has also adapted the pattern for use with photographs as the centre panel, and just this week showed the same pattern using a Halloween theme. Pop on over to Lynn's blog at Sew'n Wild Oaks...you will be so impressed! 

Thank you, friends, you inspire me...
It's a great day for quilting!

20 comments:

  1. I got one of Annie's postcards, too, and I love it! Your little red bird is just so cute. The vintage prints are very cool...I need to go look for those or print my own. Thanks for the links. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Birdie postcard - how neat that it travelled up to your place. And also your Christmas print blocks are very nice - I do like that vintage print. Thank you for the links also Lesley; it's always nice to check out more inspiring blogs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Nostalgic Christmas blocks look fabulous Lesley! I'm loving your plaids....you know me. Thank you so much for your post. Take care, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Me again Lesley. If you have a Country Charmer quilt along, as the designer, I'll most certainly join the group. I can offer some tutorials, suggest some optional colorways, and just plain have fun making the quilt again. I'll bet I can round up a few others to join us too. --Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little red birdie postcard is so cute Lesley!! I'm also a lucky recipient of one of Annie's beautiful 'works of heart'!!! Your Christmas blocks are beautiful..can't wait to see how you finish them all. Thanks for the links...off to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to visit the links! thanks I needed some inspiration. Can't wait to see the finished Christmas quilt gorgeous fabrics.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your christmas quilts...I am in the mood to make christmas quilts also!! I love the little labels you have on your quilts. Did you get those printed?? Working on our blocks today :):) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you getting one of Annie's cards. I adore her work. Wish I were that talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like it was a great week for you! Nice work getting ready for Christmas ahead of the game!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the postcard is adorable Lesley , lucky you . I love your new Christmas project and it has given me an idea , just beautiful!I have checked out both blogs and love them so will be a regular reader now. Thanks for that too.hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with your plaudits for both Annie and Lynn. Your postcard is just so sweet and is a lovely keepsake. I also love following Lynn and seeing her create beautiful designs. Your blocks are so beautiful. I feel lucky to have your blog, Lynn's blog and so many others to inspire me. I'll have to visit Annie's Musings for even more idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Annie's postcards and I know that you will cherish that one. Your postcard quilt is going to look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Little Red Birdie is gorgeous. Love the way they can go through the post.
    I can see why the fabrics and blocks appealed to you. They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in for the Charmer QAL. I have the pattern, I have (almost) all the fabrics, all I've lacked this year has been the time. I should have finished the Lone Star QAL by the end of this year, so I'll be poised and ready with rotary cutter in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delightful post, Lesley. Inspiration is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't you the lucky one! What a sweet win. Thanks for sharing the links.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aren't Annie's creations wonderful? She made me an adorable Padsworth card, and I just love it! Your Christmas blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lesley! Those blocks are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I swear, Lesley, but you must just be the sweetest blogger in all of blogland! Thank you so much for your generously kind words for my work. WOW, 19 days and not a single feather ruffled...awesome! Thank you so much Mr. Postal System!

    You Christmas blocks are gorgeous. I love those vintage postcards. You're framing them beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!