Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival and More

Well, what a day I had in Amherst on Friday. I arrived in the midst of a torrential downpour, but it was super sunny inside the venues of the two quilt shows I attended...churches were adorned with fabulous quilts from top to bottom!



I was only in the town for a couple of hours but still managed to visit the Cumberland County Quilters show, the Fage Family Quilt and Hand Work exhibit, the Zonta Fibre Arts BaZaar, head to the local department store to check out the quilting demonstrations and the quilt block contest, and drop by Deanne Fitzpatrick's Rug Hooking Studio in downtown Amherst.  I'm not a rug hooker, but I really appreciate the skill and expertise of my "hooker" friends who create fabulous rugs...stunning works of art and much too pretty to walk on!  Visiting Deanne's shop was like falling into a bowl of crayons...gorgeous colors and lots of bins of perfect pieces of "Santa" woolies to use in some of my Christmas projects. I had planned to take in the hooked rug exhibit but unfortunately ran out of time.  

I was so impressed by the excitement and enthusiasm that was generated throughout the downtown core, on the faces of everyone I passed on the street, in the shops, and at the shows that next year I will be returning and will definitely think about taking one of the many workshops that are offered during the week-long festival.

I took lots of pictures of quilts and such a variety! Traditional, modern, seasonal, vintage, large, small, and both hand and machine quilted. I was snapping faster than my camera could deal with, so you may see a few fuzzy pictures.  Have a peek...











  





















Each poinsettia had several beads stitched to the centre!







As you can see, there were lots of Christmas quilts, but I had to look really hard to find even one little Santa!  But what a cutie!



Before I jumped in the car, I had a "successful" time visiting quilt vendor Jackie of The Fabric Cupboard.  She had travelled from Moncton to set up her shop at the quilt show.  What a sweetie she is and what a shop she had unpacked for us all! My stash is a little large these days so whenever I shop, I try to pick up just the little things that I can't live without!  The Indigo "candy" by Moda fit the bill, a new line of blues and creams that are so yummy!  And who could resist some Christmas plaid and a warm and fuzzy "Wool and Needle Flannels" charm pack?  



I hope you enjoyed my version of the the show. Then I was off to the Fage Family Quilt Show, a show filled with quilts and handwork of the late Lillian Fage and daughters.











There...I think that is enough quilt show inspiration for today! 

I just finished Block 7 of the Grandmother's Choice BOW by Barbara Brackman.  It's called Aunt Alice's Star so I decided to dig into my blues...who says a star has to be yellow?  I used machine applique...a bit of a cheat, but a gal only has so much time!



I had a wonderful visit with a good quilt friend today. She came to town to do some errands so we got together, shared lots of stories, I showed her my latest quilt projects, and then we enjoyed lunch at a local eatery. I'm so excited for her because she is entered into the Wicked Blog Hop created by Madame Samm of Sew We Quilt and hosted by Wickedly Organized Wendy at Why Not Kwilt. You can find the complete schedule at Wendy's blog.


The blog hop runs from October 22-31, excluding weekends. Aurea's hop day is Thursday, October 25th at That Other Blog so please make sure you visit her that day and welcome a Cape Breton quilter to the hop. I'm not participating ( you know me...it's all about Christmas and Santas instead of witches) but I plan to visit everyone's blogs during the hop to see their wicked projects and have a wicked good time! 

Thanks so much for coming by today. Now I want you all to go to your sewing corners and get busy, because if you are like me, you have too much fabric and too little time.  


It's a great day for quilting!


20 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting all the lovely photos. I was at the FibreFestival on Friday and then a workshop on Saturday but didn't take photos because my friend and I had our husbands waiting and there's nothing quite like that for feeling the pressure and need to go quicker than I would like. It was fabulous and I am scheming my way to return solo or with sympathetic friends next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All fabulous,thanks for sharing .xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is. A church who embraces WARMTH?.... What a lovely gathering do amazing stitchings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my I am drooling from all that inspiration , wow , what a show Amherst put on , sure wish I didn't miss it . Thanks so much for sharing all these wonderful photos !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an interesting way to show off quilts. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merciful heavens! What an awesome display of quilts. They are all just so gorgeous. I love how they are displayed over the church pews. Somehow that is just so comforting. We have a quilt shop in the thumb of Michigan that is in an old historical church. When their quilt show comes around, they do the same thing...drape the quilts over the pews. Just lovely!

    I just don't know how you could leave a place like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you sure had some fun! I love the cute quilt with the reindeer tucked under the covers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures of the show! I was there last year and was so impressed but not able to make it this year! Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! What a show!! That was really cool to see the quilts draped over the pews!!! Many hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt show and beautiful church! and what a fabulous busy quilt day! I'm envious
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfect setting for these glorious quilts. Thank you so much for sharing your snaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many gorgeous quilts, so much inspiration and I'd like to make one of each.

    Thanks so much for sharing, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lesley, it looks and sounds as though you had a marvelous time!! I'm just a little bit envious! I'm tagging along on a ride to New Glasgow on Friday. Any good shops to visit there that you know of?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous quilts. I even saw one or two that I wish I owned. And I don't know of even one quilter that ever has enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - what huge displays - so many quilts and so inspirational - lucky you! Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilters in that area must be very active. That is a huge number of quilts. The churches as venues for quilt shows seem to work really well. Loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what inspiration! I love the quilts on the pews. Great idea! I can't believe you did all of that! You were one busy little bee, I can just imagine you buzzing from place to place looking at all of these beatiful things! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow.....that is amazing, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for sharing the show with us I love looking at quilts from quilt shows in other areas
    fun to see what people are working on all over the world
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!