Sunday, November 4, 2012

Disappearing 4-Patch for a Cause

Just wanted to share this story and request with you...

Quilter/blogger Erin who blogs at My Patchwork Life has started a project to help some families who have been impacted by the devastation and destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy. She asks for quilters to take the time to make a block or two, or more, of the Disappearing 4-patch pattern and mail them to her.  She will then piece quilts together from the donated blocks to give to families that have been affected.  All the information can be found by visiting her blog post at http://vesuviusmama.blogspot.ca/2012/11/taking-action-wanna-help.html  

I have been glued to the TV since Sandy reared its ugly head and have been shocked and saddened by the stories that have been revealed each and every day.  Erin's request was just what I needed...a simple but concrete way that I could help just a little bit. Yes, there are huge needs to be met in so many areas, but as a quilter, this is one little way that I am in my element. So thanks, Erin, for starting such a campaign, and thanks to Sharon at Vrooman's Quilts for blogging about it the other day and bringing it to my attention.

So what did I do yesterday?  Ta da...6 blocks using Lilac Hill fabric by Brannock and Patek. The blocks are 12.5 inches and really come together in no time at all. I love the lilacs, browns, and greens, though you might have to use your imagination to see the colors...the picture is a little dark due to the very grey skies outside! 


I know these blocks will find a wonderful home in a quilt alongside the other blocks that will be arriving at Erin's home from across the globe. They'll be mailed tomorrow.

I follow many blogs for quilting enjoyment, inspiration, and just plain fun, and as the days passed after the hurricane, I thought that just maybe my regular blog friends survived the storm unscathed.  And then I read Kathie's blog today.  Kathie blogs at Inspired by Antique Quilts and every time she posts, I feel like going to my sewing corner to make another antique-styled quilt! Today, her blog is not about quilting, but rather about how the hurricane has affected her community of North Jersey. She considers herself very lucky and gives a first hand account of the challenges she and her fellow residents are now facing. Hugs and positive thoughts going to Kathie and all those affected by the storm.

Be safe and be well,

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Quilters helped me out when I needed it and I will happily help out another when I hear the call. I'm jumping right over to get the scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful, Lesley! Thanks for sharing! Very time I hear another story on NPR or see another feature on the news, I feel like rushing back to my sewing room to make a few mo blocks. You are right - it helps to have a concrete action to take instead of sitting idly by and feeling helpless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bringing this worthy cause to our attention, Lesley. My SIL and her husband live just outside Atlantic City and faired much better than most with only a 5 hour power outage. However, all of my husbands cousin's in South Jersey are having a terrible time. Unfortunately, time is what it will take to make it all better.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are gorgeous, Lesley. I've just read Kathie's post. It really brings it home to me when I hear these personal stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for letting your readers know this this most needed project to help. I will be passing this info to my Guild and Bee and hope they will also contribute to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Binky Patrol is also collecting kid size quilts to send to New Jersey. You can read more on my blog
    http://northhillsquilter.blogspot.com

    or at binkypatrol.org

    THanks for helping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have also read Katie's story and it does make it feel more real and so sad that so many are affected.I am going to pass this on to the members of the guild to see if there is interest in helping this worthwhile cause. Lovely blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lesley! I didn't even stop to finish reading your blog before I went to My Patchwork Life, read the instructions and made her some blocks!! I'm re-posting the link on my blog and facebook.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!