Friday, November 2, 2012

Friendship Finish and Santa Start

Happy Friday!  I love Fridays for so many reasons.  Now that I am a very happy retiree, Fridays usually means some time in my sewing corner, fitness walking and then skating with my hubby at the Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre, more sewing in the afternoon, followed by supper out, just because "It's Friday".

But before I start my Fabulous Friday, I want to share a finish...my Friendship Garden quilt, all finished and hanging in my living room.


This little quilt means so much to me...it is a reminder of the Great Girlfriends Alaskan Cruise Getaway last August hosted by Pam of Heartspun Quilts and Lynne of Kansas Troubles Quilts.  Woodworker Hubby was my cruise travelling companion and graciously walked the ship without complaint while I stitched along with my new friends and quilting companions. The design is a joint venture by both Pam and Lynne and has everything a little quilt likes...piecing, wool, applique, hexies, buttons, rickrack and a variety of hand quilting styles.  Every time I look at it, I will remember the summer of the cruise, glaciers, new friends, family, fabric, and so much more!  

My Barbara Brachman's Grandmothers Choice BOW is now caught up 'till tomorrow.  The blocks are posted every Saturday, so I finished the last two this week. I'm going to use a variety of colors throughout to give it that scappy, oldtime feel...hope I don't regret it!

Block 8 is Rocky Road to Kansas-1912, very similar to a previous block we did.  The designer suggested strip piecing, but I found what I think is a perfect striped fabric so here is my finished block...please pretend it is pieced...


Block 9, Brick Pavement-March on Washington, was one of the easiest blocks to make!


And all together, the 9 blocks, in no particular order...


The blocks are 8" so I definitely have a good start to a full sized quilt that just may, a year from now, be the quilt on our bed. 

And for my finale, I am making a Santa quilt of my own design, but very heavily inspired by the Wish quilt, designed by Bronwyn Hayes at Red Brolly.  Bronwyn is an amazing designer who is offering a free pattern for the gorgeous Wish quilt available for download by clicking here. I learned all about this quilt through my friend Kaaren at The Painted Quilt.  She has recently finished this quilt with a few adaptions and is anxiously awaiting her quilt to be returned by the longarmer.  You can see Kaaren's fabulous version and even get a sneak peek of the awesome quilting by visiting her blog.

Since I adore Santas, I wanted to make my "cuddle" version using just redwork Santas on a cream background with a variety of cream and red HSTs to form patterns as needed. I found five Santa patterns of various sizes, some free, some purchased, and even one Santa is a "tester" for a friend. I stitched them all with Aurifil and now it's time to put them all together.

Here is my first few steps for the top row...some flying geese and a Santa I loved stitching. Do you recognize the Santa from The Painted Quilt First Friday Freebie (FFF) from November '09?



I then added my second Santa.  He is a darling little Santa from the Wishes quilt.  The free pattern and the list for materials and supplies for Bronwyn's quilt is here.




So what's next?  I'm going to keep making HSTs from a variety of fabrics to join together the rest of my Santas.  I've actually used graph paper to design this quilt, thanks to Kaaren's very helpful recommendation, with each block representing a 2" finished size.  I made sure to cut the Santas in a size that would allow for the seam allowance. This is what I have left to play with...


The Santa on the left is the test pattern I did for Kaaren, the Santa in the middle was purchased from Bird Brain Designs, and the Santa on the right is a free design by Bird Brain. 

I will need definitely need more and more of these...


Before I head to the rink, I just want to send a huge virtual hug and thank you to a couple of blog friends that know me soooo very well!  I received this pattern, "Santa Quartet", the other day from my friend Sue who blogs at Chickadees Country Cottage Crafts.  I adore this pattern...I had seen the pattern but just couldn't figure out how I could do it before Christmas.  So the perfect answer arrived in the mail from Sue...I now have the pattern in my hot little hands and Sue and I will do this together next year so it will be ready to use by next Christmas. I will be thinking Christmas all year long as we stitch along in our separate corners of Canada. Thanks so much Sue, will touch base in the new year! 


And to top off my wonderful week, blog friend and fellow Nova Scotian, Linda, who blogs at Scrapmaster, sent me some yummy Christmas polka dot fabric...


This fabric will be perfect for some of my other Christmas projects waiting for me in my sewing corner.  Thank you, Linda, you are a sweetie, and Happy Birthday to you, just a day late! 

OK, I am now leaving for the rink...whew, I had a lot to say.

It's a great day for quilting!

31 comments:

  1. I love your heartspun sampler, Leslie. I love everything that comes out of Kansas Troubles Quilts. You did have alot to share today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things to (drool) look over! You have been very productive - knew you would love those 'wishes' santas. I am saving those patterns as my 2013 project - not enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling little quilt! the Santa are sigh going to be so cuddly when finished. You give me ideas to get one going in needlepoint. have a great weekend. ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my , my , such loveliness , I love your little quilt it looks perfect hanging on the wall. The blocks are going to make a wonderful scrappy quilt and those Santas have me wanting to make some too ,beautiful work Lesley.Hope you enjoyed your skate.
    hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley, your work is just so beautiful!!! I love your Friendship Garden quilt as well as all your Santas!!! Have a great weekend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Friendship Garden is wonderful! Did you have the shelf made just for it - it looks like a perfect fit? You're inspiring me to get mine out and get it done! Great job on the Santas, too - that will be a great quilt when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you are one busy sewer, Lesley! I just returned from my daily walk to see your Friendship Garden - gorgeous! I'm also tickled to hear Barbara Brackman has another sew along going! How did I miss that? Your Santa quilt is going to be adorable - can't wait to see your finish!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm worn out just reading your post and everything you've got going on. I've done a couple blocks from the Wish quilt, they have been sitting around a couple years now. Your Santa quilt is going to be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the red work project.
    We're having a Blogathon for Canadian Quilters. Would be great if you could link up.
    http://sewsisters.blogspot.ca/p/blogathon-canada.html
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so, so busy. Love the friendship quilt and congratulations on the finish. Your GC blocks are really nice. Enjoy your Fabulous Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you very busy lady! I just love your Santa Redwork blocks. What a quilt that will make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Friendship Garden mini is to die for. Love the colors, the design and the memories that come with it. Great job, my friend!

    Your Santa quilt is coming along and I can't wait to see the results of your labor. I just know it's going to be a beauty as well.

    I't's a good thing that your new machine doesn't have an odometer attached because you certainly are racking up the miles with all these gorgeous projects. It'll almost be time for a trade in! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roller or ice? I'm sure it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. You sure do have a perfect Friday mapped out.
    Lovely to see your garden quilt finished and it's great to see a picture of all your BOW blocks together. It really gives a good impression of how they will look together.
    Now I love what you are doing with all the red work Santas. This is looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That little quilt is so cute! Thanks for sharing! Your stitcheries look great too! I just may have seen something new that Kaaren is working on last night at our guild here! LOL It's a beauty! I really love that Santa quartet pattern, I'd not seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your quilt hanger and the Friendship Garden Quilt. It is a wonderful and lovely memory of your trip. You had one busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your little Friendship Garden quiltlet is just adorable. I love how you made the striped fabric work for your Rocky Road to Kansas block. Very creative. Lots of movement in that block. And your Redwork Santas are just amazing! I would love to give that a try. The "Santa Quartet" is singing to me. I will have to check that pattern out for sure. Glad you liked the polka dots. A little treat from Avonport. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Leslie,
    It is so nice to see your Friendship Garden Quilt finished and hanging up. I took mine with me on a sewing retreat last month to finish. I forgot to take my free motion foot so I decided to hand quilt it. Needless to say, it is still sitting with the needle in it waiting me to get back to it. I am excited to have three (projects)reminders of that wonderful trip.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything is lovely but your tiny quilt is just adorable...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goodness gracious, Lesley, you have been accomplishing so very much!! Am loving all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your finished quilt is really wonderful and the Santas are pretty great too. I can't wait to see that one all together. Enjoy the skating and dinner out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your wall hanging is lovely and I'm wondering if your DH made the quilt rack for it. You have been very busy, it looks like. I love the santas! Thanks for the links to the christmas quilt. I really like your idea of putting more santas in it. I think I'll save the pattern for future use. I can't do it for a while, but you never know. I do love embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Santa's... looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. Lovely blocks too. I enjoyed your interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your small quilt is so neat Lesley and what a wonderful way to remind you of your cruise! Love your redwork Santa blocks and can't wait to see what you are designing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Santa quilt is going to look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your cruise-quilt Lesley - and it has a beautiful hanger to go on, too. The Santa quilt is going to look great - a good idea to amalgamate all those nice stitchery patterns we come across. The striped fabric in your GC block is very effective - they look good all rowed up together.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Leslie your Santas are darling! It will be a precious quilt! Your Grandmother's Choice is so pretty laid out nice and neat! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your garden quilt is gorgeous and I love your Santa blocks. I am also following the Grandmother's choice BOW. I am really pleased with how the blocks make up and your look terrific. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, your BOW is coming along so beautifully! I love seeing those blocks! Your Santa red work is gorgeous Lesley! I also like that little package you got in the mail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. how lovely..you certainly have a unique and vintage appreciation and you just make us take notice and gooooo ahhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely love your Friendship finish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!