Friday, November 30, 2012

On the Eve of December

I'm linking up to Linky Party Tuesday at Freemotion by the River.  Won't you drop by to see what's going on?

The first day of December is one of my favorite days!  It holds so much promise and anticipation for a month sure to be filled with family, friends, gatherings, and so much more.  I plan to start looking through my decorations for my Christmas quilts as soon as I wake up tomorrow.  I really want to find this guy in my Christmas corner and put him up...




Our Olde Tyme Christmas is scheduled for the Port Hastings Museum for two weekends beginning today. The annual event is being held November 30 to December 2 and December 7 to December 9 from 12:00 – 6:00 pm in partnership with the Port Hastings Museum located at the Causeway, the entrance to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.


Twelve friends and I have filled the gift shop at the Museum with a huge assortment of hand-crafted items.  We have everything you could imagine...seasonal gifts and decorations with Santas and Snowmen galore on runners, quilts, and placemats, plus many more gift items sure to please.  

We figure the shop will have something for everyone and something in every price range. There are quilts and smaller quilted items, wall hangings, table runners, and mug rugs, pillows, change purses, and totes, woolen goods, weaving, knitted and crocheted items, baby blankets, wood crafts, and so much more.  Galloping Cows Fine Foods will also have an assortment of yummy edible products for sale.  

I dropped out this afternoon to take a few pictures of some of the
items for sale. There are many items that are not Christmas related but since today is the eve of December, I wanted to highlight only the Christmas items. Hope you enjoy the show...






OK, I must confess the Dress Stewart tartan pillows above are mine.  I recycled a kilt that I haven't worn in a couple of decades and decided to recycle it.  I took out the seams, threw the fabric in the washer and dryer, cut the fabric, added the appliques, and covered a couple of pillow forms to produce some cozy wool pillows.

























In addition to the artisans shop, museum volunteers  have been busy in the Museum and there will be Christmas displays of antique dolls, a display of Christmas trees with decorations from Christmas past, bake sale Saturdays at noon, and free tea, cider and cookies.  If you're in the area, be sure to drop by.  I know many of my readers live much too far away to attend, but wouldn't I love to see you there!  


My Elves Weekend has been here and gone! This is the name we give to our annual girls' weekend in November. Two of my sisters, a good friend and I got together at my sister's place in New Brunswick last weekend for a Christmas celebration with lots of stories, laughter, food, a little wine, and a Christmas gift exchange. Some years we have a craft day, but this year we opted instead to shop so we took a day trip to Prince Edward Island for shoe/boot outlet shopping (don't ask), a pub lunch, and a visit to some specialty stores including a local quilt shop.Yay me!

I always like to make my gifts for our Elves weekend and this year was no exception.  I made them each a Christmas Tree mug rug using selvedges for the ornaments on the trees. The pattern is in the Quilters Newsletter Best Christmas Quilts Summer 2012 magazine.








Then I decided to "make" their Christmas cards so I googled "Christmas Vintage Postcards" and found a few images I liked.  I printed them on June Tailor fabric sheets, added a checked border, and sandwiched them with a fabric backing and fusible interfacing.  





But for me, the icing on the cake were the gift bags I made.  I wanted to make them each a fabric gift bag, but wanted the bags to have some shape and structure to them.  I found a free pattern that had just what I wanted.  The pattern is at AllPeopleQuilt.com and you can find the pattern here. I used some great seasonal fabrics from my stash and started sewing...



The bags have a nifty button closing if you want to hide the contents!







I filled the bags with the little gifts, plus some candy of course, and the gals loved them. What a wonderful time we had! 

I had some postcards left, so yesterday I decided to put them into a little quilt with some checkerboard strips, quilted it by machine, and this is the result...



I forgot to take a picture of the back, but I used a panel with a Santa on it, so the quilt could actually be reversible.

I received some wonderful giveaway prizes in the mail lately. A gorgeous pattern for a brilliant red and white quilt called Infinite Variety Revisited arrived from designer Linda Collins all the way  from New Zealand. Linda blogs at Quilts in the Barn . The pattern is self-published by Linda who was inspired to create this quilt when she travelled to New York City in 2011 to see the Infinite Variety Exhibition, an exhibit of 650 red and white quilts. It is too dark to take a picture of the pattern,  so I will borrow a picture from Linda's blog post where she explains how she came to design the quilt pattern.



Isn't her quilt gorgeous!  This is definitely on my to-do list for the new year! You can purchase the pattern in her Etsy shop here. 

I also received a giveaway prize from Sew Sisters Quilt Shop for participating in the Canadian Blogathon held in November.  While hopping from blog to blog, I visited Holly's blog, Through My Window.  She showed us some incredible quilt projects and offered a free pattern of a little chickadee mini-quilt while Sew Sisters Quilt Shop provided some kits for the giveaways. (The free pattern is still available on her blog).  I was one of the winners and this is what arrived this week...all the fabrics I need to make the cutest little chickadee! 



As you can see, it's always a great day for quilting!  Thanks so much for coming by.  Hope to get a good night's sleep so I can start to decorate tomorrow...














24 comments:

  1. My you have been busy, lovely goodies, Happy December lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're a busy one! This is a busy time of the year.

    Loved the display of goodies. Boy, the Christmas ornaments quilt really spoke to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, you finish a lot of projects! Lots of Christmas inspiration! I may have to steal the selvedge trim on the trees idea.... just perfect for a small wall hanging or your mug rugs. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy. Very fun to see what. You have made. Ok love that snowman fabric ,very cute gift bags. Great idea!!!! Cute mug rugs. I should make a few of those.

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A kilt that I haven't worn...."???? You wore a kilt? You never cease to amaze me with your quilting, ice skating, and now kilt wearing. LOL Wish I could stop by to pick up a few of those crafty items, but I think they'll all be long gone before I could apply for a passport and make my way to you. Darn! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh my Lesley, tis your season for sure..love the trees, the snowman...there is sooooo much to oogle about ...ohh santa of course

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of gorgeous work for sale at the museum , wish I was heading that way . Great idea to use your old kilt , hmmm , I have one in the trunk I haven't worn in ages . Your postcards are so sweet and love those totes too :-) Oh almost forgot the trees , how clever are they , too cute!! Have fun decorating .

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous things for sale. Love that Santa with the dancing reindeer. Nice that you won Holly's chickadee pattern. I was hoping for that one. Your sisters and your friend are very lucky to have you. The selvedge trees are so darn cute. The gift bags are wonderful. Love the fabric you used, especially the linings...very cute. and I love what you did with the vintage postcards. That is on my list and I am anxious to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Lesley - I hope I don't forget to say everything I want to....you have all been very busy making wares to sell - they are all so gorgeous and will be so tempting to customers. I love the bits you made for your elf friends... those selvedge mug rugs are the best!! And the gift bags just fabulous!! Congratulations on winning the pattern too - what a beauty. And the kit - lucky you! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My gosh, there is so much going on.
    That is certainly a productive group you are involved in with the museum. And you only showed us a small sample. Yes, I would love to be there. I hope they are very successful with their sales and attendance. Love your pillows.
    Looks like a great Elves weekend, too. The gift items you made are lovely. Lucky recipients!Well done on your lovely wins.
    I can see that you will have a lot of fun over the next few weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I want to come!!!! Thank so much for the tour...such wonderful Christmas goodies and you have been very elfish with all your projects. I am green with envy that you got to visit Prince Edward Island...I am a huge Anne fan and it is on my dream list to get there one day. I really enjoyed your wonderful post. I do hope you got plenty of rest last night 'cos I think you are going to be very busy.
    Your Santa is lovely too..hope he is not hiding to far away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Just wow. So much wonderful goodies you shared. And your gal weekend sounds fabulous. Can I come next year? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you've been busy! I love the Christmas trees with selvedge ornaments - what a cute idea. And the reindeer conga line is darling - so is everything you've shown! Do you ever sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh...what fun projects! I love them all, but especially the selvage trees and the dancing reindeers! Very cute. You will have fun decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We'll be decorating on opposite sides of the continent today, Lesley! I hope you find your Santa - he's great! Looks like you and your fellow crafters have had quite the Santa's workshop! I just love the selvage mug rugs!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The first Santa is my favorite and I love those plaid pillows! So many nice pictures today. I live so far away yet your blog makes me feel like I live next door. You do wonderful work Lesley. I hope the sale is fantastic. Thank you for showing me Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. L-O-V-E your blog background!

    I wish I lived just a tad closer because the museum looks wonderful with all the hand crafted stuff and I would love to see it in person. Your pillows in the dress Stewart tartan are awesome. Very cottage-y looking and would be an excellent gift for a gentleman's office space or "man-cave".

    I can't believe...no let me rephrase that...now I see why you are one of the most productive people I know. The quality and quantity of the things you make is just beautiful. I bet your sisters were over the moon with your gifts.

    Great job my friend and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of fun Christmasy stuff going on with your. Congrats on your wins. Love how you used the selvages on your mug rug tress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love seeing all the of the beautiful Chriistmas projects in this post! You made some fantastic gifts for your elves too. Those selvage tree "ornaments" are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Lesley, I cannot keep up with all your energy! I love it all but especially the trees. I do not have to say have fun, I know this is your special time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lesley you have really, really been busy! It looks like there were lots of beautiful things in the Museum gift shop.....your tartan pillow is so neat! Great little selvage mugs rugs and bags too! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoo hooo! Another Scotswoman! Yes! My heritage is the McLeods. :) Wow, you have so much variety in the shop.....beautiful, whimsical, and just downright cute. I bet you will sell it all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, this was a long one, Lesley. Let's see, what all did I see and read about........I know there was a ton of Christmas eye candy in this post. I do hope your sale was a great success. Oh, yeah, LOVE those vintage cards you made! I'll have to go hunting for some vintage card images. I've been inspired! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!