Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Scrapping

I don't want to start my post with negativity, but gee, do you think my annual Christmas cold could just go away?  Soon?  After a weekend of enjoying time and festivities with my fellow quilters, the head cold that I kept ignoring just would not be ignored any more.  

I've used a honey and lemon drink (recipe with many thanks to Madame Samm and Carol...a yummy drink and very soothing), I've gobbled lozenges for the sore throat, and Woodworker Hubby even brought me tissues with aloe. 

Most of this week I've spent on the couch. My Christmas shopping will definitely be last minute and some of my hand-crafted gifts might have to be postponed 'till next year. My sewing machine has only whirred for about an hour all week, but I did manage to get into my quilting chair for just a little bit of time this morning.


I was going to quilt my Five Santas with cross hatching, but I didn't have the energy or the tools at my elbow so I just started quilting around the shapes. I'm sure it will be fine. On the back of the chair is the Schnibbles quilt, Bennington, that I finished right before Christmas last year. 

Like I said, my energy level is at a minimum and the brain isn't working as well as it should so one afternoon I decided to do an easy job...reorganize my Christmas scraps.  

I decided to de-stash first. I sorted and put together one batch and mailed it off to a new home.  As we all know in a quilter's life, one persons' scraps is another person's treasures. 


Then I really went to town and dug deep in my plastic totes to organize everything else that was Christmas related.  I managed to cut a great bunch of 2.5 inch squares...


They looked so pretty that I started to sew them into 4-patch blocks.


I didn't get too far, just far enough to give me an idea of how it will look once I sew it together with some sashing. Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet gave an excellent tutorial for a "Dolly" quilt using 4-patch blocks, sashing, and straight line machine quilting.  I am now thinking that I may have a little Christmas dolly quilt in the making.  Check out Lori's tutorial right HERE

Some of the stash fabrics I cut in strips because there is always a Christmas block to be framed...


Some pieces were just so tiny I decided to cut them into little tumblers using a tiny little plastic template that arrived from the Temecula Quilt Company in a kit I purchased last fall. The tumblers are in a sandwich container so I'm sure you get the idea of their size.  


In my hour of sewing today, I did put a few tumblers together to start a mini-quilt.  I think I'm liking this too, though the colour of the photograph leaves much to be desired.


I tidied up my panels and am still thinking of putting together a pillow or two. Sharon of Vrooman's Quilts gifted me with the panel of Santas on the right and I've had a lot of fun playing with them.  You may remember seeing these Santas as part of Madame Samm's Think Christmas blog hop in July. To be re-inspired for Christmas, visit her pinterest page here.


I had great fun sorting my stack of fabrics that I am hoarding saving to use with my Nostalgic Christmas Quilt pattern.  I have four blocks completed, realistically planning on a 2013 finish.  Designer Lynne at Sew'n Wild Oaks suggests we use checks, plaids, stripes, and polka dots.  Do you think I have a good start?



Don't forget that the Quilting Gallery's Blog Hop Party is still on through to December 15. There are over 170 participants with giveaways on their blogs and I am one of them. The full list of participants is posted at the Quilting Gallery. Read about my giveaway on my previous post and leave a comment there if you are interested in my giveaway.

It might not be a great week for me to sew, but it's a great time for me to read. Make sure you check out Madame Samm's blog every day in December for "Books for Women by Women"...a chance to learn about some amazing women authors and their books and qualify to win some amazing prizes! 

Before I go, I want to extend a huge welcome and many hugs to visitors, new followers and "old"!  I love quilting, reading, and writing and The Cuddle Quilter lets me do all three. I appreciate your company so much as I quilt along!

That's it for me...off to the couch...maybe tomorrow will be a better day for quilting!  

26 comments:

  1. I need to go lie down on the couch after reading all that you've done while you're sick...I'm exhausted just looking at it all! I was hoping that little remedy would at least give you some relief. Hopefully, it will move on so you can enjoy sewing and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you are still under the weather - lots of eye candy still. Always good to play in fabric, even if to just re-organize it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better real soon Lesley!!! You did a great job reorganizing your Christmas stash...love the little tumblers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon. Its a bad time to be sick. Love seeing all your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear that you are feeling miserable. Hope you get back to normal soon. I sure felt better after looking at all your yummy scrappy photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also sorry to hear you have been feeling under the weather , hope you are feeling much better real soon . You did a great job of organizing all your scraps and all so yummy too take care of yourself . Hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I can't imagine how much gets done at your place when you are feeling good? Do hope you are feeling better, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If this is what you do when you're down for the count health wise you must be a whirling dervish when you're in the pink!
    Get better soon Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have what your having....what exactly was in with that honey and lemon drink? REDBULL? Hope you kick the cold to the curb soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are feeling better real soon! times a ticking, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You get more done when you're feeling poorly that I do when I'm just fine, Lesley!

    All those little starts with your Christmas stash look like so much fun. A small tumbler quilt is on my to do list as well.

    Take care of yourself and feel better soon, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry to read that you are unwell with a cold, but am pleased that you are not confined to bed. It's good that you can find some things to do that are sewing related that do not require too much energy. Definitely worth sorting the Christmas fabrics - look what you have achieved already! In fact, are you really sure you are sick?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I hope you feel better soon
    your dolly quilt is going to be adorable with those fabrics. GREAT Christmas fabrics you have there!
    love the mini tumblers they are just fun to sew together and make great gifts too.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that cold bug packs it's bags and hits the road real soon.I am really glad I found your blog I enjoy it very much. By the way well done with all you got done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you feel better soon. It's no fun being sick over the Christmas holidays...that was me the past two years. This year I am healthy (fingers crossed) and I still didn't get as much done as you did. I managed to spin a small skein of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much wonderful eye candy. Love your scraps - such pretty colors in shades of red and green. Yum!

    I'm so sorry you've been feeling poorly - get well soon. Sending lots of healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you are accomplishing a lot more than you are giving yourself credit for. Hope you feel better soon and I am anxiously awaiting seeing the 5 Santa quilt done. Please show it when you can.

    Thanks and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. such wonderful scraps and plans nothing like curling up under a pretty quilt for a nap and hope you wake up feeling better. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lesley, I hope you get well soon. Isn't it interesting how we can still manage to be creative even when we're not really up to it - you've actually achieved a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you're feeling better this week, Lesley. There's nothing worse than a head cold at Christmas. Of course, there's no good time for a cold, but right now with so much to be done, it's very inconvenient. I like your idea of cutting up your Christmas fabric. Mine has been sitting in a box for so long, but I think cutting and piecing those four-patch blocks could be fun. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please get well soon! I hate the idea of being sick when there would be so much to get done right now. I little cutting of holiday fabric might just be the trick to helping you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am right there with you!!! Got the flu shot last Tuesday, became sick Wednesday night and felt awful ever since! I hope you are better soon! I've actually have one quilt I started on last week almost finished with the quilting, but it's no fun, for sure! No baking for me...no one else wants my cooties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Please rest a few days. With such sadness today I dont feel like sewing. I'm going to spend time with my grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Goodness, for having a cold that is wearing you down, you have accomplished a lot! I think organizing one's fabric stashes is theraputic... not to mention you get to visit with fabric you have forgotten about! Have a wonderful holiday season... I hope you get to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope you are feeling better by now Lesley, being sick is NO fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!