Friday, December 7, 2012

I Heart Santas

This morning we awoke to a light dusting of snow so after breakfast, I headed to my quilting chair with a cup of yummy flavored coffee, put on a Christmas movie, and attached my label to my new Christmas quilt, "I Heart Santas!"



Here is my quilt story, although many of you may remember how the story starts...

Last July, I hosted the Think Christmas blog hop for Madame Samm of Sew We Quilt.  What a time we had...it was a celebration of all things Christmasy, and for someone like me who loves Christmas, it was a perfect fit!

In appreciation for my hosting duties, Madame (generous) Samm gifted me with the sweetest little panel she paper pieced just for me...



It was a gift from the heart and the minute I saw it, I knew I had to finish it off with some Santas and hang it in my house this Christmas. I added a couple of Santa blocks that I found at Quilters Cache, framed the blocks with some of the glorious bright white fabric that Madame Samm had supplied with the panel, bordered it, quilted it, embellished it, labelled it, and finished it this morning!

I machine quilted it, which is unusual for me. I am just forging into the world of machine quilting, but am sticking to straight line stitching for now.








I love using perle cotton to hand quilt, so I just had to add some bright red Aurifil stitching lines around the letters.



I also thought Santa needed a little pizazz on his hat, so I embellished it with felted wool holly and some berry buttons!



I chose a really busy print for the backing, so my little imperfections wouldn't be quite as noticeable.



For the first time, I decided to attach my binding to the front and back by  machine.  My quilt friend Barb says it is all about matching the thread and I think she is right!



Of course I had to choose a label with a Santa on it...



Hubby and I will hang my new little quilt tonight in the livingroom, but it looks kind of cute surrounded by snow, don't you think?



Thank you for sharing my quilt story with me. And a huge thank you to Madame Samm for this very special gift...it is so nice of you to help me celebrate this special season with this little quilt.

I'm in a rush...heading off to work at the Quilt Shop at the Port Hastings Museum this afternoon, our second and final weekend. If it is not too busy, my quilt friend and I are going to start some Dresden Plate quilts.  I have so much Christmas fabric and I figure this will be a great way to make use of it.  This is just some of the fabric that I will be using...



Just in case we're really busy at the shop, I decided to get a head start on my cutting...

I'm using the EZ Dresden Plate ruler which sure makes things EZ! 

Well, I better run or I'll be late.  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! It's a great day for quilting!




25 comments:

  1. adorable!!!!its snowing here too and just coming straight down in globs almost about 4 inches in my deck
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Santa quilt! You pulled all of the parts together so well and your finishing details are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful surrounded by snow. I love how you combined the Santa's with Madame Samm's creation. Very nice! Have fun at the Quilt Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is absolutely hands down on santa...gorgeous..the stitching the santas..YOU...wow...have a great day..you made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your Santa wall hanging turned out - very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the backing fabric you chose for your sweet Santa quilt, and I doubt if there are any imperfections. Your stitching looks fabulous. The Dresden Plate quilt looks like it will be a stunner as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Santa hanging..A pattern I would definitely love to make! We have a winter storm warning for the weekend. It will really look like Christmas in Northern Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I *heart* your Santa quilt!! Just lovely!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Santa quilt looks wonderful Lesley , you did an amazing job of finishing it off and good for you attaching the binding by machine , haven't been that brave yet . Hope you do well at the museum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your Santa quilt Lesley! It is so cheery and fun. Your blog is fun. I too use straight lines when quilting. I tried some of that invisable thread but had some issues so used Aurafil and it quilted nicely. Have a great week end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice to see the finished quilt, wonderful fabricc choices and what a great memory of all your hard work. And don't even think about imperfections, it's all terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Santa quilt is too cute. I wonder why you love Santa so much? Is it because he's cute? The Dresden Plate idea is a good one; I might borrow it. I cannot say "no" to Christmas fabric and keep buying more:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute. You and Madame Samm make a great tag team!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable - and what special memories!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute!Cute!Cute! Such a sweet Santie story too. Have fun with your plates. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your new Santa quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love what you have done with the panel. Very creative designing on your part. It looks great a I am sure it will brighten your home.
    Have fun with the dresdens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another super addition to your Santa collection and your machine quilting is a wonderful compliment to the straight lines of the paper pieced Santas.

    Great start to your Christmas Dresden plate quilt. It's going to be awesome with that collection of Christmas fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That turned out absolutely fabulous! I really love it. I'm sure you will always remember Madame Samm and that wonderful hop every time you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lesley, your Santa quiltie is just adorable! I love the colors. Especially with the white background. The words and hearts and santas just pop. Your dresden WIP looks quite festive...love the fabrics for that too! I could actually keep up and absorb this entire post...you only had two things in it.....are you feeling well? Just kidding, but I love your shorter posts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lesley, I just love what you did! The Santa's are darling and I love the stitching around the words. How special this is and will always hold special memories.
    I just want to shop you stash of Christmas Fabrics! That is the same ruler I used for my first Dresden, yours is going to be wonderful, Make sure to show us a picture of the finished block.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Santas are so fantastic.
    Liebe Grüße Grit from GErmany

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!