Thursday, December 20, 2012

Merry Christmas

It's official in our household...it's Christmas!


Many years ago, when the children were still small, I worked on this cross stitch picture. The project took a couple of seasons to finish, but I'm glad I didn't give up because it's a nice little reminder of when the kids were small.

The house is decorated, the outdoor lights are up, the Christmas tree is in the stand, always a pine tree,  and tonight Woodworker Hubby and I will decorate it and be ready for visits from family and friends. Most of the ornaments are Santas that have been given to me over the years, so it's always a special treat to unpack the boxes and hang each one.  

I had a lot of fun in my sewing corner over the last few days and managed to finish my little Christmas quilt that I told you about HERE and HERE.  Because several of you mentioned that the quilt looked like a window, I added some snowflakes and I call the quilt, "Christmas Window" or maybe it could be "Window on Christmas"?


I couldn't make up my mind which way the window should be hung...

so I added two sleeves on the back so I could hang it either way, depending on the location.  Of course I chose a busy fabric for the back so it would be harder to find the thread nests that might be hiding on the back! 


The snowflakes are fused in place and tacked in the centres.  I thought it might add a little character if they flop a bit over time. (Besides which I couldn't imagine tackling all those edges with my blanket stitch today!)


All in all, I`m pretty happy with the project, and even though it is a window, it could end up being used as a table runner. 


Don`t you love it when there are so many choices?

I'm keeping this post very short today because it's such a busy time for many of us. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and hope that you will enjoy special times with families, friends, and maybe some fabrics over this festive season.  


It's a great day for quilting!

33 comments:

  1. Your little Christmas Window quilt is so cute! And love all the options for display. Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet window quilt...love those snowflakes for the added touch! Happy Holidays to you my friend! Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas Window quilt looks wonderful Lesley , the added snowflakes was a perfect choice. I also love your cross stitch , what a great memory piece . The Merriest of Christmas to you and your family my friend. hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the window quilt. It is a great day for quilting! Merry Christmas,

    ReplyDelete
  5. The halls are definitely decked in your household, Lesley. Everything looks so merry and bright.

    Merry Christmas to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home must be looking lovely at the moment with all your decorations. Your cross stitch is the perfect way to announce the season. And I do like all the variations for displaying your wonderful Window on Christmas.
    Enjoy decorating the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute window quilt~ I love the snowflakes! Merry Christmas to you and your family too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a darling quilt! Turned out so nice! You will enjoy this one for years also!! Wouldn't it be cut in part sky colors, part grass colors like you are looking outside? You could then add flowers and leaves with buttons to change the seasons! Just a thought for another cute window quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a smart lady with your Window on Christmas. Just tacking down the snowflakes in the center, not stitching around everything--wise choice. And my favorite backing is always a busy one--hiding the less-than-perfect machine quilting (though we always try to be perfect).
    Merry Christmas, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many lovely Christmas items, Lesley. They're wonderful!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours *

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable window quilt and love your cross stitch as well, Lesley :o)

    Merry Christmas and Happy, Healthy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a beautiful Christmas window...very nice! Merry Christmas to you and your family (love the little cross-stitch memory.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how pretty! Love it!
    Happy Christmas girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you finished your Christmas Window! Merry Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas, love the table runner/window... Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your cross stitch. Such special memories and your Window on Christmas is wonderful...... Could do with a few of those snowflakes here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lesley your Christmas Windows is gorgeous, whichever way you hang it or use it.

    I love the cross-stitch too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It turned out so pretty. I just love it. Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your cross-stitch is a wonderful memory. Awesome finish on the Christmas Window! Lovely touch with the snowflakes. All the best to you and yours and have a very Merry Christmas. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a lovely window quilt. It's gotten to the point that now when I see a Santa quilt I think of the Cuddle Quilter:) Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's such a great table topper. I thought at first it was a full-sized quilt, which would be awesome, too. Thanks for sharing, and have a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cross stitch is darling. It is always fun to bring out the older pieces like that.

    I love the addition of the snowflakes to the window. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your Christmas Window. I've pinned it to my quilting inspiration board. Such a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't done any cross stitch for a while now and about a week ago I thought I should finish up a project that I just can't seem to get finished over the years, but is almost done. Showing your stitching makes me think of it again. Your little "window" quilty is adorable. I think adding the snowflakes gives it lots of character for the season. Merry Christmas, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Toooo cute! Love how it turned out! Great job on the snowflakes it really made it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lesley I love your Christmas window! I saw some similar snowflakes on someone else's blog recently and loved them - did you have a pattern or did you make it up? I'd love to try this. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful work.
    Liebe Grüße Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  28. How beautiful Lesley and the snowflakes.......just so precious! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Merry Christmas, Lesley! Your quilt is just perfect with the snowflakes!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's a great quilt and I love the different ways you can use it! Merry Christmas to you and your family Lesley and all the best in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your Christmas Window is just beautiful, Lesley!! Have a merry, merry Christmas and a great New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your festive Window!! The snowflakes were the added touch it needed to take it from good to great!
    Blessings
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!