Sunday, January 20, 2013

Houses Times Ten

Today is Tuesday  and I'm linking up at Linky Party Tuesday, hosted by charming Connie at Freemotion by the River.

I put together a housewarming gift in early January for my DD. I hear it has arrived in its new home so now I will share a few pictures.  I decided to make a table runner with a house theme...very appropriate, don't you think? 



I paper pieced the little houses from a pattern called "Block Party" published in Quilt magazine, Dec/Jan 2013 edition and designed by Pamela.  Her profile is here at quiltmag.com. I enlarged the pattern to a size I thought would work for the runner, made ten houses, added sashing and a border and am pretty pleased with the results.

I love the chocolate brown and I think with the chocolate fabric on the back, it could easily be reversible. The fabric arrived from a quilter friend who was looking for a new home for her gorgeous fabrics. Once I saw the bundle, I knew exactly who I wanted to use if for...my DD who has a lovely new modern home with a sprinkling of browns, greys and blacks throughout. I figured a little lime green and aqua would just spice it up a little!


My machine quilting was a basic 'stitch in the ditch'. Once I finished that, I machine quilted the binding. The more I do binding by machine, the better I get, and I do like the fact that it will likely last a little longer.

I decided to add a few extra items to the box going "out West", so made these as well. The oven mitts seemed to take forever, but I like the way they turned out and DD thought they were pretty neat! They actually turned out a little smaller than expected but fit DDs tiny hands to a T!


The pattern was free online at Sew4Home HERE. The instructions called for d-rings, but I made loops instead. I purchased a set of dish towels, prewashed and dried them, and sewed some matching fabric on them to coordinate with the other items.

Have you ordered your Country Charmer pattern yet so you can join us for the CC quiltalong? It's a lazy daisy QAL that you can do at your own speed, slow and slower, or fast and faster! For all the info, click HERE

We started a Flickr group specifically for the CC QAL. Just click the button on the sidebar and you'll see some pictures already posted of fabric choices and blocks. Designer Lynn at Sew'n Wild Oaks is the Country Charmer Queen! You will be so inspired by her blocks!  We also have Quilt Sue from Quilt Times from across the pond who is rallying her UK friends to join along. We are ready to party! 

Just a reminder that the deadline for my giveaway is today, Sunday, July 20 at 4:00 EST.  If you are interested, make sure you leave a comment on the previous post. Giveaway is now closed.  Congratulations to winner Mommarock who was contacted by email.

Also, don't forget to check out Madame Samm's Sew We Quilt's latest blog hops including Hugs and Kisses, Dare to Dresden, and It's All About Me!  It's a super duper variety of hops that will have you running to your sewing corner!  

It's a great day for quilting!

21 comments:

  1. What a beautiful table runner Lesley and the extra goodies are neat too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your houses, I am sure she loves it...and your mits....love the fabrics you chose as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your table runner! Fabulous housewarming theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful table runner and oven mitts and matching towels , I am sure your DD loved them !You must be wishing it is July ?? gave me a chuckly as I look out on our snow covered fields. Enjoy your day .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely table runner Lesley.
    I also love the other gifts.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very nice Lesley. I too love the colors. Doing paper piecing is on my bucket list someday. I have never made potholders. I will check out Sew 4 home. Great housewarming gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorei parabéns!!!Passei para te abraçar...Amanhã é o Dia Internacional do Abraço. Sintá-se muito bem abraçada.
    beijoGRANDE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely house warming gifts. I really like the fabrics in the table runner. Thanks for the links to the oven mitts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely gifts. Your DD will love them and think of you when she does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable tablerunner, Lesley. Your daughter will love and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oven mitts is something I've been putting off making for myself, mine are very worn. Thanks for the pattern link, maybe now I can get them made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure the people that received these gifts were thrilled
    I went to the flicker page I love what is there. I THINK (LOL) I am going to do my CC using A Northern Cardinal Bundle I found in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are lovely house warming gifts. Great to see the fabric co-ordination through each item. The houses are a wonderful idea in the runner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such cute gifts for your DD...love the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful gifts for Alison. I'm sure she loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a lovely gift. I'll bet she loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute table runner Lesley! I love bird houses - all shapes & sizes :*) And those oven mitts look like they were made for me - love those blues you know! I'm off now to grab that pattern :*)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tablerunner is just so cute. I love the fabric you used and the oven mitts are good too. What wonderful housewarming gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love house blocks and you made a beautiful runner. Cute oven mitts too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What adorable gifts, Lesley! I'll be watching your QAL for Lynn's wonderful quilt! There is sure to be some amazing work ahead!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely table runner. The colour combination is really nice, just my cup of tea.
    Come check out my blog if you get a chance
    Leigh x
    http://www.thesewingdivaandherreluctantmodels.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!