Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I'm Kind of Busy This Week

You know I love to start new quilt projects. There are so many wonderful quilt ideas and I never want to miss out on any of them. But I have lots of WIPs (works in progress), so what to do? I decided to compromise. My promise to myself is that anytime I start a new project and spend some time on it, then as a treat to me, I'll also spend some time on my WIPs. I think this will work.

So this week I started a new BOM and made the January block for the Aurifil Block of the Month.  I was very excited to do this BOM because each of the designers is making their block using the Art Gallery's Rock 'n Romance line of fabric. If you recall, I won a bundle of this fabric awhile back thanks to Red Pepper Quilts  and Moona Fabrics.  So this BOM was definitely calling my name!  

I chose a different selection from my bundle so the block may differ a little, but I like the effect so far.  Here is my first block, Jumping Jack Flash, designed by Erin Russek. 


Pat Sloan has set up a Flickr page for this BOM HERE.  Each month, a winner's name will be drawn from those who submit photographs of their blocks and the winner will receive some Aurifil thread...fingers crossed...  

That was the new project I started this week, so I pulled out a WIP.  Remember my Wonky House quilt, an exchange quilt coordinated by fabulous Jane of Janes Fabrics and Gifts?  I added one more border to the front of the quilt...


and then I went crazy!  I thought a wonky front should have a wonky back, so off I went and this is what I came up with...


I framed the 12 signature blocks, used the wonky star and 4-patch blocks that I received in another block exchange hosted by Jane, added a few bright orphan blocks, and left some space on the back to describe the project. Now it looks like I have two quilts instead of one!

Here is a close up of the bottom half...very wonky, I know...


Not to worry...I am going to sandwich the quilt one of these days and machine quilt it myself. I'm still not ready for FMQ yet (OK, truth be told, I have the new sewing machine I bought awhile back and I can't figure out how to put the FMQ foot on the machine...so I am definitely not ready to do FMQ).  I will plan a lovely drive to my dealer in the spring to get some help. In the meantime, I'm thinking quilting straight lines, or patterns, or maybe even circles. 

For the rest of the week I'm going to be very busy...but not in my sewing corner. Here's a little little...I love curling. My mom was an awesome curler and we grew up going to the local curling club to watch her games and cheer her on from behind the glass.  I curled for about three years after university, then tried to pick it up again a few years ago, but my poor old knees just wouldn't allow it.  I do love to watch the game, though, and often sit in my quilting chair on the weekends when there is TV coverage of a national curling event.

So here is the reason I have to leave my sewing corner for the rest of the week...a huge curling event is coming to our little town and it starts tomorrow. The National, one of the four events that make up the Grand Slam of Curling, is being hosted at the Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre, the state of the art, environment-friendly facility five minutes away.  This is the place where Woodworker Hubby sharpens skates during the winter and where we go skating a few times a week and do lots of laps on the walking track.  

But this hockey arena has been transformed into a curling rink over the past couple of days and there will be lots of television coverage. Sportsnet is going to cover the event with nine games to be broadcast. The coverage schedule is HERE. The National starts tomorrow night with a short opening ceremony and then the games begin. All the big names will be here, and if you are a curling fan, you will know who I mean. 

I'm going to serve as one of many volunteers and will be working a few shifts as a scorer.  I just returned from a meeting for the scorers and the organizer said 18 of the top 20 men's teams in the world are on their way. I plan to be at the civic centre for much of the remainder of the week. If the camera pans the crowd, I'll be certain to wave! 

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the week in your sewing rooms, but you know where I'll be!

It's a great day for quilting curling!


29 comments:

  1. Curling has always fascinated me, but I haven't a clue how it is done. I just love watching it.

    I like the idea of rewarding yourself while accomplishing your goals. LOVE the new BOM block and the fabrics are great. I also like the wonky backing for the wonky houses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching curling kind of rates up there with watching bowling or fishing. But, then again, I don't watch any sports on TV or go to games. I'm not as exciting as you (you ice skating queen!) Love the double-sided quilt! The fabric in that block is gorgeous. Goodness you are such a busy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely block of the month :):) Hope all is well with you !! Hugs- S

    ReplyDelete
  4. You amaze me how much you get done in a week. I love that block you made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Aurfil block! Your button for the Country Charmer is so cute. Put it on my blog............and yesss I finally ordered the pattern today....yikes. I need to have my head examined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your Aurifil block.
    Enjoy your time with the curlers. Both Hubby and I enjoy watching the curling men and women. Enjoy watching Martin,Howard Kevin Koe to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like those subdued colors in your Auriful block. I watch curling every 4 years during the Winter Olympics... the men's team was from Duluth, MN in 2010. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Lesley. I see 'my' house block in your quilt and LOVE to see the quilt taking shape. My blocks are still here as an UFO. Great idea to use lots of the extra wonky blocks on the pieced back! I'm impressed and you're helping me to get excited about putting mine together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pretty new BOM, Lesley. Your wonky houses quilt top looks delightful and so does the back! I know what you talk about with so much in progress. I am art journaling, altering a dictionary and sewing a pillow all at the same time. I just can't seem to keep my attention on just one project. They all are calling to me at the same time! And I must answer! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only curling I Know is my hair, put I have seen the sport and is amazed how the swip that curler to the right spot. Love your BOM and your other quilts. Enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treat for you, not only to have the curling in your home town but to participate as a volunteer. Just like our Olympic Gamesmakers :} Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lesley how fantastic to see curling so popular. Where we go on holiday in Scotland there are several outdoor curling ponds, only used in winter of course when they are frozen! Have a great time and love the quilts. Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow have fun! love the backing you made for the quilt.
    I still need to make a wonky house quilt
    thanks for sharing yours again, never tire of seeing it
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an exciting time you're going to have.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be watching to see if I can pick up your smiling face. And remember...keep smiling because you never know just who might be watching. *wink*

    Have fun!

    P.S. Did your jacket fit?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Aurifil Block is lovely. Thanks for sharring.
    Enjoy your time with the curlers!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can now say I know someone who is into curling. You are the first. That isn't a popular sport in my area, but it looks interesting to me. Love your block and the fabric you chose for it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've been busy!! Love your projects. Aw, gee, I'm going to miss the curling convention in PH, but at least I'm warm!! You know, I had never heard of curling until I moved to the area. Hope you have lots of fun! Take some good pics to share of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have been busy and very productive , should I even admit this but I have that BOm printed off and sitting on my cutting table . Love the wonky quilt and such a great idea to do a wonky back . Can you take a picture of that foot , I am sure I can give you some help getting that on the machine . Enjoy the curling , I will have to watch for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty block and a wonderful two-sided quilt, Lesley! I like your idea of juggling the WIP's, too! Wow - how fun to have a national event in your town! I'm sure you're going to have a blast!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my how I love the back of that wonkey quilt. Such a great idea Lesley, putting that on the back. My blocks are almost that wonky! And the first block with Rock and Romance is beautiful! You have such an eye for color and placement. How I wish you lived closer, I learn much from you. And your Curling, I love watching that at the Olympics. It is so cool and they try to knock the other out of the circle. I will try to find it on the stations. Thank you for sharing your wonderful work. You insire me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you have a great week ahead of you!
    Curling is not something we see a lot of over here - something to do with hot weather and no ice - but I am familiar with the sport and think it would be great to go to an event of such a high standard. Have a great time.
    Good luck with your old and new plan. That makes sense that if you start something new you also work on something old. Love the wonky back for the houses quilt. That is fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your star block is gorgeous and your wonky quilt is so cute. Two quilts in One! Great idea to take time for WIPs. I have some I want to get finished this year. I have seen curling on TV, but I think it was in the Olympics. That's exciting that you are able to get involved in the tournament! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lucky you. Curling and bowls are two very popular sports here in Scotland. I really enjoy watching both. Enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, look at your wonky house quilt! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your wonky houses turned out so much fun and I really love your wonky back. Please let me know what type of fabric you had them use for the signature blocks. I would like to do that with the newest Modern Mini Mystery Round Robin. Enjoy the curling break.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have fun! My Hubby is in New Glasgow this weekend for the Ship Hector. No where near the calibre of The Grand Slam! Wish I was there with you.

    I curled for a few years until after the birth of my youngest 7 years ago. I have curled a few times here and there and I do miss the game.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Lesley! What an exciting time for you! I know how excited I would be. I have only seen curling on the Olympics but it looks fascinating. Thanks for sharing that little insight into your life :*) Now every time I see curling on TV I'll think to myself, "I bet Lesley is watching this!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!