Monday, February 4, 2013

A Busy Weekend

Thanks to everyone who dropped by during Friday's Country Charmer Quiltalong Reveal. I was so very impressed and inspired by the blocks that I saw that day, both by the bloggers who linked up and by those who shared their photos with us on my blog and on the Flickr page. I'm having a dilemma though. I finished block 3...



but am tempted to change my colour scheme because of everyone else's gorgeous blocks! I am planning scrappy, so I may be able to do it. Will keep you posted...

And speaking of keeping you posted, the winner of my giveaway of a $25 gift certificate to 1Choice4Quilting is Carolyn, comment # 27, who blogs at I Believe Inn. Congrats, Carolyn, I know you'll find a treasure or two with your gift certificate. 

Yahoo, I finished my Betsy's Closet quilt top this week! I loved doing the stitchery designs.  I used some basic stitches including the backstitch, French knots and a few lazy daisy stitches. Thank you, Brenda Riddle, for a fabulous pattern!  I finished the final block last week and pieced the nine blocks together with a collection of beautiful bright prints I picked up as a bundle through Sew Lux Fabrics.  

I added a few more colours from my stash and cut the 2" squares...no quick piecing for me!


I love this type of sashing and border. I wanted the quilt to read as bright and cheerful and I think I achieved it.  I decided to go with a purple for the teeny tiny 9-patches...

I really do adore this little quilt- it is approximately 24" x 28"-but now I have so many questions...how do I quilt it?  By hand or machine? What design?  Flannel on the back or regular backing? Suggestions are very welcome! If you want to see lots of other Betsy quilts and blocks, check out Stitching Betsy's Closet and scroll through the previous posts. It's wonderful to see everyone else's versions! 

Before I head to my sewing corner, I want to thank Michelle of Rag Tag Stitchin'. I was the lucky winner of a giveaway she held last month on her blog and received these little goodies in the mail. The package included a book of her sweet stitchery patterns, a couple of dotty fat quarters, note cards made by her friend and some cute little trims. Thank you Michelle! 


It's a great day for quilting!


23 comments:

  1. Hi Lesley
    Well done with Betsy's closet, very pretty!
    Love Country charner, soooo tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, stay with your original plan with Charmer - it looks wonderful. Just adore your Betsy's Closet - I would stitch in the ditch around the white - this is tiny. Maybe some wee buttons here and there in the patches - this is going to hang and not have wear and tear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Country Charmer blocks are beautiful. I've been avoiding jumping into the fray but you're making it very difficult. It's my favorite of Lynn's patterns. :-)

    Betsy's Closet is adorable. I finished mine several months ago and need to quilt it very soon.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your Betsey's Closet. I haven't even started mine! But what else is new.

    You can really crank out the quilting projects. I am always amazed by this.

    Somehow I missed this QAL? Maybe it's because I'm so lazy about blogging! I'll have to check into it. It looks like a wonderful block to create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, your little quilt is so precious! Beautifully done, Lesley. I love it when you come out into the bright and cheerful fabrics. It's like you bring the sunshine with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet quilt Betsy's Closet is. I think I would use a regular backing, and perhaps some in the ditch hand quilting around the stitched blocks. What ever quilting you do, keep it simple as the stitchery should shine, not the quilting. Love the Country Charmer blocks so far, looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. It's going to be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable stitchery quilt!!! You did a great job with your fabric choices for the sashing too. That will be a special quilt :*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't we always second guess our choices.I did too.I was thinking I should have gone brighter but decided to stay with my first choice after seeing them on your blog.Lesley your blocks are great I love your color choices.
    The Betsy Closet Quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the colors and fabric you are currently using for your blocks.

    You little quilt is adorable. I love the stitching and the fabrics. I would use minimal quilting so as to not take away from the stitching on the little squares. Maybe you could find little buttons or ribbons to add.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are beautiful. And your little quilt is a love. Love the mix of fabrics you used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks are beautiful Lesley. I told Sue do what you like and you must also. I'm hoping I don't run out of fabric with my mind changing I do with each block. And that little stitchery one is so adorable. Great hand work. Maybe hand quilt it a little, your work is beautiful. I love the borders. It is a cute little thing that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your little Embroidry blocks. I need to get something to hand stitch.

    Thank You again for the win. Im sure I will find something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your blocks are wonderful I wouldn't change a thing , keep going !!! Your Betsy's Closet is adorable and makes me want to start right away , maybe I can get a block traced for this evening . Lucky you winning all those goodies from Michelle , she does lovely designs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your 3 blocks and have purchased the pattern myself and am waiting for it to arrive here in Oz.
    Keep your quilting simple for Betsy's Closet, so your beautiful embroidery shines. (OzSue)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your scrappy blocks and the colors yum. The little quilt is adorable. You could hand quilt around each outfit by hand or echo quilt by machine around each outfit then do a wavy line through the patches or 2 wavy lines the intersect. Adorable
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your Betsy's Closet.. so pretty. Love the fabrics you chose. Enjoy your winnings.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your Country Charmer blocks Lesley. Don't try to over think it too much.....go with what you like and you'll be happy with the end result. Betsey's Closet is such a cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do like your blocks, but if you want a change you must do it. You are the only person you need to please.
    The embroidery blocks are lovely and I agree with keeping it bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your CC blocks are really gorgeous. Must get started on mine (having had my first attempt derailed!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too think you shouls stay with your original plan on the blocks. I like it. And the mini piece is really great. I love the scrappy bright sashings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't change the colors!!! Your blocks are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your CC blocks are wonderful! Love the scrapiness. Betsy's Closet is just the sweetest. The sashing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your cc colors-so pretty! Do not change a thing!
    As for that cute stitchery, I think hand quilting is a must! Perhaps stitched in the ditch around each block and then some big stitch with perle cotton in the borders in larger curvy swirls!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!