Thursday, February 28, 2013

March Country Charmer Update

How is everyone coming along with the Country Charmer Quiltalong? I've been visiting the QAL Flickr page HERE and am so impressed with the blocks I am seeing. I continue to be inspired every day by the blocks I am seeing by CC designer Lynn at Sew'n Wild Oaks,  all the participants in blog land who are making this quilt and those quilters posting to our Flickr page.

I decided to make things a little more organized in my sewing corner and spent some time at my cutting board this month preparing all the background pieces for my CC blocks. I'm using a cream background that I had in my stash.  It seemed to take no time at all to do the cutting and my background pieces are all ready. Now when I am preparing to make a CC block, I lay out the light pieces right away and it seems like the block is almost finished even before I start it. I just add a few fabrics and I am off to the sewing machine races! 

I love my fourth block. I'm continuing to use Metropolitan Fair fabrics by Barbara Brackman, with an occasional addition from my stash.



Last weekend I decided to play a little more in my sewing corner.  I had my very own self-imposed Country Charmer mini-marathon and produced 4 more blocks.  Block 5...




block 6...



block 7...


 and block 8...



I know I've said this before, but I love the quilt chart that designer Lynn has included with her pattern instructions. The pattern comes with a chart that you fill in like a puzzle.  As you place the pieces on the chart, the block comes together right before your eyes.  Sometimes I tweak the fabrics a little, and sometimes it is just perfect the way the pieces land. Thanks, Lynn, for giving us such a fun way to make a block! You can purchase the pattern at In Between Stitches HERE

I put all my 8 blocks in a group and I like it so far!



The difficult thing for me will be to decide on the colour for the fabrics in the sashing and 9-patch fabrics. I've used a variety of colours in my blocks ...several shades of reds and pinks, greens, blues, browns, and golds. I may just keep making scrappy blocks and decide on my sashing and 9-patches when all 20 blocks are complete. 

Anyone who doesn't have a blog, but is sewing aling with us, is invited to email the pictures of their progress to myself or Lynn and we will include them in our monthy update.   Below is a picture of the Country Charmer blocks made by fellow quilter Lois from Ontario, Canada. Aren't her blocks gorgeous! I love the strong bold colours.  The resulting quilt will be stunning. Thanks, Lois, for sharing your creations with us.



Make sure you visit Lynn's blog HERE. Several quilters have emailed pictures of their quilts to her as well, so we will be hopping around the globe today for a quilt show! Lynn has a page on her blog designated to the CC QAL, posting tips, tricks,and techniques to help us along with our CC journey. 

No more waiting. It's time to link up. If you have made some Country Charmer blocks and have blogged about your progress, please link up below using the URL address for the specific post you wrote about the CC QAL.  Our next Country Charmer Linky will be on April 1...and that is no joke! 

'Till next time, it's a great day for quilting!


21 comments:

  1. It's really coming together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your country charmer blocks look awesome! I like how your color change between blocks is subtle...or at least appears that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blocks are all so different and all so beautiful! You've done a great job Lesley and so has Lois. I used the star fabric from Metropolitan Fair in my sashing. It may also work beautifully for you. Thank you so much Lesley for setting the QAL up and leading us. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyones blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lois's blocks are wonderful, as are yours. I will write a post in a minute and then link up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Country Charmer is a lovely block and I love all your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Country Charmer Blocks.
    I love this pattern so much.

    Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all look great. That is going to be one stunning quilt when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look wonderful! You are always up to something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks are just lovely and I do love the fabrics you are using

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are great Lesley. You did some fussy cutting on a couple it looks like. Thank you for your continued support to keep us going. I love your idea about cutting out the background fabric. I am going to do that after I get back home. I bought 8 yards! Have a great week end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every Country Charmer quilt I see in blogland is stunning! It's so fun to see the variety of colors and fabrics everyone is using!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fabric choices are wonderful, Lesley. It's amazing to see how different everyone's blocks turn out just by changing out the fabric. This is going to be a gorgeous quilt when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blocks look great. I really like your fabric choices, especially the way you fussy cut the center patch in blocks 6 and 7. I enjoyed seeing all of the blocks posted to the Flickr group. It's amazing how different they all look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blocks are terrific together, too. Every grouping I see looks great. There will certainly be many beautiful quilts out there when all of you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blocks are just wonderful! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the colors and fabrics for your blocks are luscious!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! These are GORGEOUS!!! I just love the different colors everyone has chosen and I'm excited to see everyone's finished quilt. Such creativity out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How smart you are to organize yourself that way! It really helps I know. Your blocks are really wonderful - you chose a great fabric line for them :*)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great progress, Lesley! I really like all your fussy cuts, too ;>) Before you know it, you'll be sewing on the binding!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!