Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pillows and Fabrics

Happy Valentine's Day!  Hope it is a special day for you and the special people in your life. This post may be a little more like Christmas, but I figure the red works for both occasions. 

I decided to make a pillow recently from a quilt block that I made last summer in celebration of Canada Day. I blogged about it HERE. I have a fair bit of red and white fabric in my stash so it was fun to go to my personal "stash store" and pick out the border and backing fabrics.

I had a pillow form on hand, but now that I see the finished pillow, I may buy the next size to fill the pillow a little better. I took the pictures in different rooms so the reds look so different. The actual colour is closer to what you see in the pictures below.


My backing fabric continued with the red and white theme...

and in the next picture, from this angle, you can see all the fabrics joined together.  For my hand stitching, I used my favorite Aurifil thread 12 wt.


I tossed the pillow onto the bed, and voila, our country cabin! Woodworker hubby covered the walls of our bedroom with pine boards a few years back. I grew up spending summers at our family cottage, with knotty pine throughout, and the love of it has stayed with me.  So even though we are far from the 'shore, it feels a little like the cottage!


Our bedroom has a bit of a red theme going on...for now anyway. Do you see that red wool blanket?  It is called a Hudson's Bay blanket, a Canadian icon some say. We purchased it in 1979 with some of our wedding money. It has been stored away in the basement for the last couple of decades but I resurrected it before Christmas to add some cheery colours to our knotty pine bedroom. I love the blanket's warmth and "festive" red colour, especially with my Festive Mystery quilt at the foot of the bed. And of course you may recognize Cherry Blossoms hanging above the headboard. 

Thanks to Sauders This 'n That Fabrics for a $10 gift certificate.  I entered a Super Bowl Sunday draw and was one of the lucky winners.  I decided to be very frugal and I went directly to the sale page of their online catalogue and I scored big! Their sale prices were awesome. Today I received my purchases...1/2 yard of 5 fabrics free...all I had to pay for was the shipping and it was very reasonable. They shipped it the less expensive way so it was win-win for me.  These repro-type fabrics will work really well with my Grandmother's Choice Block of the Week. My bundle includes an assortment of fabrics by Windham, Free Spirit, Red Rooster, and Judie Rothermel for Marcus Fabrics. This 'n That are having a 5-day inventory blowout sale from February 18-22...I may have to go back for a visit! 


Thanks for dropping by today. It's a great day for quilting!

13 comments:

  1. Love the pillow, Your bedroom looks a lovey warm restful place.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the pillow, of course I love it, but I would still love it in other colors too ; )) This reminds me that I need to make more pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...what a great room.....I have never heard of a Hudson Bay blanket...so I googled it.....wow are they expensive.....and very cool....or warm in their case...LOL have a great Valentines Day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bedroom looks warm and comfy I love the look of knotty pine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your pillow - the hand stitching is such a great touch! Very inviting room...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pillow Lesley , your bedroom looks very cozy .Happy Valentines Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pillow is wonderful and it does fit right in. I love the memories your wooden wall brings for you ... even more special that your hubby gave that to you. Thank you so much for the share and I hope you find happiness in every corner of your world today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading about your knotty pine memories. I remember knotty pine walls going up to the attic of the house I grew up in... reading your story reminded me of it. Love all the red pretties you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pillow. Your room is so cozy and warm. Mine has alot of white with logs on two sides. I really like your room Lesley. Its very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pillow is gabulous and I love your hand stitching. Congrats on the win and the new goodies you got. I'm going to have to hop over and check out that sale for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love red! Your pillow looks wonderful. Have a happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lesley, I've just had a delightful catch-up of your blog - it is always so interesting to read! Love all your projects :-) Thank you for all your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    What a great work.your pollow looks wonderful and i like your hand stitching.Thank for sharing your great work.
    Netflix Overseas

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!