Saturday, February 16, 2013

Rainbow Challenge

I admired Angela's Rainbow Scrap Challenge QAL all last year. I saw the gorgeous colorful blocks posted every month by participating bloggers and was duly inspired as the end of the year unveiled some stunning quilts and flimsies made by quilters across the globe. Then the Rainbow Scrap Challenge was offered again for 2013. 

Last year, every month I would ponder and wonder if I should join in to the QAL and every month I put it off. This year, I started to watch again. January's month was the colour pink and February's month was the colour purple. When I saw the darling little pink houses and pink bow ties at Angie's Quilting on the Crescent, and then I saw her February purple houses and bow ties, I jumped in, hook, line, and sinker.



The challenge is hosted by Angela at So Scrappy and if you click on the icon in the sidebar, you'll see all the rules. I love that it is one of those no stress, no guilt QALs...do what you do, when you do it, and if you have anything to show, show it by linking up on any Saturday of the month. 


The first thing I had to decide on was a block that I thought would look really pretty in a variety of colours.  I recently purchased the reprint of Volume 1 of Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazine so started flipping.

I found what I think is the perfect block...a block that uses lots of scraps and would be very colourful in a variety of colours.  I only wanted to make one 12" block each month.  This is kind of a cheater block...4 blocks rolled into one!



How neat that it is designed by Carolyn Beam, the Creative Editor of Quiltmaker!

I rounded up my pink scraps and started cutting...



and produced my January block.



I rounded up my purple scraps...



and produced a purple block...



This is what they look like side by side...



Once I had all my pink and purple scraps out, I decided I would start to work on a scrappy piano-key border.  Twelve months by now, I should have enough for a pretty colourful border.



I wonder what colour March will be? I'm linking up today with Angela at SoScrappy  Why not come on over and be inspired?

It's a great day for quilting!

32 comments:

  1. Your blocks look great! The pattern you chose will make a beautiful rainbow quilt. I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect block to choose for RSC13! Your first two blocks are fabulous. I imagine what a fun collection it will be by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this block!! I hope I still have Vol. 1 of this magazine...will check when I get home!! I can't wait to see this quilt finished!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE what you are going with this challenge!! What fun and what a glorious quilt that will be when they are all put together!! Don't get me started! Good thing I am a month late and it is too late to join. LOL I don't have room in my life for any more inspiration. Hmmm, I wonder if I could catch up??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roundabout looks terrific. I am a big fan of the 100 Blocks issues and also rely on them for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the block you chose for your rainbow - and the piano key border is really going to add even more to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great block for the scrap challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks look fantastic! Glad to see you sitting in on RSC2013 with the rest of us scrappers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful block choice, Lesley! And getting ready with a piano keys border is a really great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to be a great quilt! The piano key border is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How yummy! Just wonderful. Your quilt will be amazing. Great idea to work on the border at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice for your block and border plans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous colors and a perfect block to showcase them. It's going to be one gorgeous quilt when it's finished.

    I'm convinced that each of your days is comprised of 48 hours and not the 24 that mine are. You never cease to amaze me with the amount of work that you generate. Your posts always leave me breathless.

    Great job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you decided to join us! I look forward to seeing all your rainbow blocks. I love the block you've chosen - great scrap buster and for using color!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great way to scrap-bust Lesley! You've chosen a block that will look great in all your colours! Have fun!! (Good idea to get organised with the border too!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great blocks Lesley , that should be a fun challenge .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great block choice! It will make a fabulous rainbow quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was all ready tempted and now you are tempting me further!!
    Shame on you--:-)!!
    love your choice--I have that magazine--may have to look it up and do some 'hunting' in it too--
    Hugs, Di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lesley, great block choice for the RSC. I got hooked last year and I'm back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the block you have chosen. As you say, perfect for lots of scrappy bits in different colours. I think it will be lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the block you have chosen. The colours are very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like fun! I might do some string blocks for a donation quilt. That's not really like starting something new, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Like and like. Great block choice. I was really tempted by that QAL too but I'm really resisting so that I can get the deadline quilts done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just LOVE your blocks! So glad you decided to join in the fun. That will be a stunning quilt in December.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooo, the purple block is nice! Actually, all your blocks are nice. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Roundabout is the perfect block for your rainbow quilt! And a great way to use up scraps. I'm going to enjoy watching your progress on this one,Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a delightful post. Love your pretty fabrics. Perfect block(s) choice for your rainbow quilt : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh wow, Lesley! I love the block you chose and the colors so far. They look great! Can't wait to see what other colors are coming.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really love you fabrics. I have so fun brights. Maybe I need to fix that.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ah Lesley! So glad you decided to jump in and join us!!! This challenge is the most fun, and I look forward every month to the new color :*) Your blocks are perfect for this challenge! And how smart to be making your border at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Maybe green for March? Great block choice! That will certainly look nice in any color :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!