Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Simply Charming


This is a small quilt I made recently from the "Simply Charming" book by Tara Darr at Sew Unique Creations.  I want to make every quilt in the book so would highly recommend this book for all those who love small scrappy quilts like I do!  



I bought the book through Amazon because there weren't any copies available at Tara's Sew Unique Creations site when I went to purchase, but please check there first in case some are now available. The quilt is called Nellie's Nine Patch...I even love the names that Tara has given to the quilts! 



Tara chose to use a binding without a border, but I had a blue fabric I liked so I added a border, chose a binding using fabric that was in the quilt, and shook it all up with a red, blue and yellow fabric for the back.



Most of the fabrics I used for the nine-patches were from two mini-charms of the Indigo Crossing line by Minick and Simpson.  I bought them last fall from The Fabric Cupboard and I am told that they are stocking some of the more popular prints of this line. I love the blues, creams, and whites and was able to easily supplement Indigo Crossing with a few fabrics from my stash. You can see that I hand quilted my little quilt in a cross hatch design. 



I love making small quilts, but never know how to label them.  Did I make a doll quilt, a table topper, or a wall hanging? What I may do is attach a little card to the quilt that indicates it could be used as any of the three options. But how can I call it a doll quilt when I don't know what it would look like in a doll bed? Solution...ask Woodworker Hubby to make me a Vintage Doll Cradle.  I found the pattern online at ana-white.com.patterns.  She is amazing and has patterns for just about anything you can think of! I found a couple of patterns for doll beds listed...click HERE to see the pattern for the cradle below. This is the cradle that WH made first, with a Doll Farmhouse Bed coming next. 



He is going to stain it, but first I just had to see what it would look like with some little quilts tucked in.  I made a quick mattress and pillow from some toile fabric I had on hand and started snapping pictures.



The directions say that the size of these doll beds will fit the popular 18" dolls that mothers and grandmothers are buying in droves for their little girls. 

Getting back to the "Simply Charming" quilts, there is a Simply Charming Quiltalong being hosted by Darlene at Quilting Daze and Kathy at Kindred Spirits for those of us who love these little quilts and want to share their finishes. Click on the picture of the book on my sidebar to learn more about it. 


Every two months you can share your finished quilt by linking up to Kathy's blog. The good news is that the Linky for the first quilt is open until March 10, so I still have time to link up HERE before the next 2-month period, and so do you!

Before I go, just want to remind you of a really fun and very enjoyable blog hop going on right now at Sew We Quilt.  "It's All About Me" is a blog hop guaranteed to make you smile and maybe laugh out loud! The quilters are using an Amy Bradley pattern to make a little quilt caricature self-portrait? Marilyn at Stitching by the Lake is the awesome coordinator. Visit her blog HERE to see the schedule and find out more, and have a look at Madame Samm's Pinterest page to see all the quilts at one location. 


It's a great day for quilting!

26 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your sweet little quilt. I was looking through the book trying to decide which to do next and this one caught my eye. Your doll cradle is adorable, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable - U was quilting a kid's nine patch with this layout yesterday and both of these remind me how much I love nine patches!

    Such a cute cradle too. So nice to have a person around who is handy with wood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little quilts are adorable in their cradle Lesley! I love your blue fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Lesley... this is too funny! I am working on this Nine Patch quilt as my March Simply Charming quilt... it's blue, creme, and white... I'm using a charm pack of Indigo Crossing! Do we have great taste or what!?!?!?! The mini's look adorably cute in the the little doll cradle! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way too cute. You and your hubby make a good team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a charming quilt and the cradle is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lucky you are to have a hubby that can make such a lovely doll cradle. It looks so cute with all your quilts. I just finished working on a blue and white quilt (Inspired by Antique Quilts), and have lots of 1 1/2-inch scraps left over, so I will be putting those strips to good use after seeing your sweet blue and white quilt. I love Tara's book and have already made a few of the quilts. I think she mentioned that she has another book in the works. Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blankets!! I love those colors. Wonderful sewing!! They are perfect for the cradle. One of my grand daughters has 4 American Girl Dolls, two are used and she loves them just as much as her other two. I have seen that book before. I am going to look for it too. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lesley - your doll quilts are so beautiful!! Love your latest in the blues too!! Clever husband too, making the cradles! Just off to check the Quiltalong out...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a good one!! I almost cut up the pieces to do this quilt but opted for a different one. I'm almost done with it and will be happy to have a little finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it is adorable Lesley and I LOVE the cradle, your hubby is as talented as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet new mini and your new doll cradle will be a great way to showcase them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just adorable! I am a sucker when it comes to doll beds/cradles. The little quilts look so cute in it. Thanks for the link to the site. She has some great plans on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful little blue/white 9-patch, Lesley. And how lucky you are to have a DH that can make you such a perfect small cradle for your wee creations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your little quilts Lesley! And the cradle is perfect. :-) Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely little cradle ,and all your cuddly quilt a are gorgeous.xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute little dolly quilts. Love the cradle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your little quilts. Your hand stitching looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've asked my not-so-local quilt shop to order one of Tara's books for me. At one small quilt every two months, I shouldn't be too far behind with the challenge.

    Love your doll cradle. A perfect way to display all your dolly quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That cradle and all the quilts are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a sweet little blue and white mini, aren't these minis fun to make?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love that quilt done in blues! I might have to make a second one using those colors! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cradle and quilts are beautiful, thanks for the link, my brother is woodworker !

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE the little quilts!!! They are sooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your quilts are gorgeous in the little cradle. They look lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!