Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday Stitching with Kathy

Kathy at Kathy's Quilts loves to do hand quilting and stitching on Sundays, and you know I love to do hand stitching every day of the week. I start every morning in my quilting chair. Well, today I decided to link up with Kathy and share my Sunday hand quilting adventure.  Won't you join us? When you visit her blog HERE, you'll see that she has provided a link up for anyone who wants to share what they are working on today. I adore the project she is working on...Journey of a Quilter and would love to do this someday.  

This is what I'm doing today. This morning I finished hand quilting Kathleen Tracy's Small Quilt of the Month for February.



I used a variety of red, whites and blues, mostly Civil War reproduction prints. But if you look closely, you will see some Debbie Mumm with a little quilt motif in the setting triangles-it works for me!

I quilted in the ditch and around all the little pieces. After I took this picture, I noticed a tiny seam that I missed...will quilt that later. I love the backing fabric...this quilt could walk into a room backwards and I would still love it!



I cut my binding strips out of a rusty red, choosing to cut them pretty tiny at 1 1/4"...I much prefer this size for my narrow bindings.



It's such a small quilt, "17 x 20", that it takes no time at all to attach the binding. The bestest thing is that I have a new throat plate on my sewing machine that is for straight stitching and it has changed my life. No need to hold the threads when I start a seam, no little fabric pieces jamming, everything purrs...



I love these little clips...they hold everything in place for me on the back....


and keeps the binding nice and tidy on the front.


When I attach the binding on a small quilt, I also attach a sleeve.  I never know if the small quilt will be on a table, used for a doll's cradle, or hanging on a wall, but putting a sleeve on before I attach the binding is such an easy step. I cut the fabric strip 4 1/2", fold it in half, press it, and attach it to the top back of the quilt.  See the pins?  I'll hand sew this later.



Well, I better get going because my quilting chair awaits.



Thanks for dropping by. It's a great day for quilting!




27 comments:

  1. I'm envious of your quilting chair - it looks so comfy! I have a pretty good hand-quilting spot, but I have to carefully put everything away between quilting sessions so my puppy doesn't chew something she shouldn't. It's much easier to quilt spontaneously when your quilting supplies are all ready and waiting for you - which is how I envision your quilting chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a chair as well. I sit on my bed Indian style and then I can barely walk when I get up.....old age. Love your quilt. Wonderful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of hand quilting. Your stitching looks great. I admire your discipline in making time to hand quilt and have a particular spot for it. Makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an adorable little quilt! The fabrics are perfect. I have a hard time remembering to attach sleeves to wall hangings and don't do it for all my little quilts. I probably should start. This morning I had to attach a sleeve on a quilt that I had already attached the binding (but not hand sewed to the back yet). Sometimes for little quilts I will put little triangles in the corners - that is, if I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post to enjoy today with my tea. Love your quilting chair...makes me realize that I need one too. I love your line about the quilt walking in backwards...your quilts walk around?!?! LOL
    Love those binding clips too....use 'em all the time.
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've bought those clips, but haven't had a chance to use them yet. Sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Look at your perfect, little stitches on your adorable quilt. Very sweet! I love those clips too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your little quilt and your hand quilting is wonderful. I love your quilting chair. I have a spot on the couch with a hand bag full of various hand work between the couch and the end table. Makes it easy to pick up something while sitting with the kiddo's. So glad you linked up. I love finding new blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable little quilt with tiny pieces. The sleeve is a great idea. I have those clips but I would like about 5 more packages for large quilts. Is your chair in the sun? It looks comfy and a nice place to sit. Have a great week Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous little quilt and youor hanquilting is fantastic.Love that clips and your fabrics choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful little quilt! I love that you let a little Debbie Mumm in there. I love the 19th century repros but my other fabrics often sneak in. Fun to see your quilting space. Looks so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect way to start each day! I end each day with hand quilting, instead. Either way, it's a wonderful way to have some quiet time and keep those little fingers busy, too. How did our area fare during the storm? ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Thanks for the great idea! I am attending college full time with a full time homework schedule as well but I need my fix. I have to find or make some time to get to quilt. Your Sunday Stitching sounds good. May arrage my homework schedule to do the same at least have two hours to quilt.

    Your little quilt looks sweet, you are good to quilt. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my. Your quilting is inspirational to a newbie hand quilter! Lovely. Just lovely. Oh, and I'm jealous of your chair.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so pretty! I can't imagine working with binding that narrow. I think my fingers are too clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute little quilt and your hand stitching is wonderful! Great way to spend a stormy day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hand quilting is perfect and I just love the small quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also love to start my day by doing some hand quilting--
    got to let breakfast settle in my tummy you know!!!!:-)
    Love that little quilt--
    I am working on her 6 patterns that she sent us in the mail a couple years ago --in fact am working on sewing together #3--
    Have a great week--
    hugs, di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute little quilt. I have one I need to get hand quilted. I just love miniature quilts. I started a wall of minis in my sewing studio, but I still have a lot of spaces to fill.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great little quilt! Binding that's only 1.25 in, YIKES!! I don't think I'd ever be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on finishing your small quilt of the month - it is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very sweet little quilt! Looks like you have a very comfy place to sit and stitch.:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweet. I don't do much hand sewing these days. No time. But I used to do a ton of counted cross stitch. I may get back to that some day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great little quilt. I envy you that you can hand quilt. That's the one thing on my list that I want to learn to do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice Lesley! Gorgeous fabrics, and hand quilting! Wasn't this a fun mini quilt to make? I also use 1.25 inch binding on all my mini quilts... to me it's the perfect size!

    ReplyDelete
  26. dont you just love those clips...I love what they are holding too

    ReplyDelete
  27. "This quilt could walk into a room backwards and I would still love it" -- Priceless!!! Thanks for sharing your lovely hand quilting. There is nothing quite like the look and feel of it :*)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!