Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Stitching With Kathy

Today I am linking up again with Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for her Sunday Stitching linky. I plan on working on a few hand stitching projects today. I started my 'red work on muslin' quilt called "Santa Quartet", a pattern by Birdbrain Design that I received last Fall as a gift from Sue at Chickadee's Country Cottage Crafts. Sue and I have never met, yet when she saw the Santa pattern, she thought of me and sent it along.  Thank you, Sue, blog friends are just the bestest!  

I finished the first redwork Santa...



and next up was the pile of gifts.


managed to get a pretty good start on the pile and today I hope to finish them. 

Sue is working on her Santa picture as well, and although we live at opposite ends of Canada, it is fun to know we are working together on thsame project. 

In addition to redwork, I usually have a small quilt, or two, on the go for hand quilting and today is no exception. This is the quilt top that is waiting for me in my quilting chair.  



I took the picture early this morning ...don't you love the blue snow in the background?  

The quilt is called "Mill Girls", designed by Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts It is one of seven quilts that comprises Pam's Journey Two of the Prairie Women's Sewing Circle Club. Read all about the Club right HERE.  There are four Journeys to choose from. I borrowed this picture from Pam's blog to show you pictures of the quilts I will be making in Journey Two.  






Although I'm not able to attend a club in person, which would be so awesome, I was still able to receive the kits for Journey Two by mail. I emailed Pam awhile back to ask how I could get involved and she gave me some great suggestions. Then I contacted a participating quilt shop, The Country Sampler Quilt Shop in Spring Green, Wisconsin.  They sent me a kit once a month for the duration of the Journey. 





The pictures do not do the fabrics justice...they are so beautiful and are just like silk. The colours and fabrics are very reminiscent of the fabrics of that day and in my humble opinion the chocolate border fabric is downright delicious!


I really like the way Pam designed the borders at the top and bottom of the quilt.



I plan to stitch in the ditch for the pieced blocks.  If you look closely, you'll see my first stitches. This block is also a "make do" block.  Pam encourages us to "make do" with what you have, so I added this block from my own stash. 



I am thinking of quilting some kind of a design in the alternate blocks.  Any suggestions? So now you know what I am going to work on in my quilting chair, what are you working on today?

I really hope that in between the hand stitching, you'll have a little time to work on your Country Charmer quilt.  On March 1, I'll post an update here and you'll have a chance to link up and show us your progress on your CC quilt for this month. Super creative quilt designer Lynn at Sew'n Wild Oaks has been posting some glorious blocks, tips and techniques for us, so be sure you visit Lynn for lots of inspiration. If you want to know more about the lazy daisy no pressure quiltalong , just click HERE.   I had my own little mini-marathon last weekend and have four new Country Charmer blocks to show you. Here is a peek at one of my favorites, but I am learning that they are all "one of my favorites"!



Hope you come back on March 1 for more of Country Charmer!

It's a great day for quilting in my favorite quilting chair, and you know what is waiting for me!

35 comments:

  1. Great stitchery for you and how delightful a gift from a blogger. I think original quilts they tied the square centers, but a simple X would work. I am stitching bindings today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I just love that Santa stitchery, adorable
    ok wow lots of blue snow!!!!
    have fun hand quilting
    looks like the perfect time of year to be sitting in that cozy chair hand quilting away
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to be busy today. The Mill Girls quilt is lovely. Maybe you could stitch something that was connected to them, although I don't know what that would be. Santa is a sweet fellow in your stitching. And your Country Charmer block looks terrific. Yes, the blue snow is a wonder. We have had rain so our snow (all the dirty stuff now) is washing away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the red work Santa. I have been looking for a pattern to make for my BFF who collects antique Santas. This just might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the inspiration! I have some redwork Santa patterns that have been sitting in the "someday" pile forever. They would be a great Slow Sunday Stitching project. I wonder if I have enough red embroidery thread to get started. And thanks for the link to the Country Sampler Quilt Shop - I think I'll go make another cup of tea while I explore that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your redwork Santa! I also really like your quilts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I know what's waiting for you...three curling games to watch on tv for the Scotties Tourney while stitching away...exactly what I'm going to do right after I press "publish".

    Gorgeous work as always, Lesley. You truly are an inspiration to us pokey, anal stitcher/quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Santa is beautiful. The little quilts are also just charming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a newbie to this hand embroidery stuff, I so appreciate seeing your beautiful stitching. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice projects! I am going to do some hand stitching today, too. I got up too late to see blue snow, but we have plenty of white snow.

    Don't you love the kits from Country Sampler? They always package them up so pretty that I hate to take them apart. I signed up for their June Civil War get-together. I can't wait - Spring Green is about 2 1/2 hours from me, so it's too far to go to very often but I do love to get there once in awhile. It's nice to dream about June - the snow will finally be gone by then!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A delightful post full of so much inspiration, Lesley. Love your redwork Santa - he's quite dapper. :-)

    Enjoy your time in your quilting chair today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your rework stitching is, as always, gorgeous! The quilt you are working on quilting is really pretty. I like it's old world charm. I have been to the quilt shop in Spring Green many times. It's a fabulous shop. It's been several years now since I moved too far away from it, but it carried the most unique stitching patterns I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow... Lots of inspiration today Lesley! That Santa is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy redwork!
    And I love the quilt you are hand quilting! I thought of stitching the same triangle designs in the plain blocks as you are in the pieced blocks.
    Enjoy every slow stitch! Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your santa redwork too. It takes skill. I have seen those quilts on Pams websight. Yours is so sweet. What are the sizes? Tiny pieces like the CC blocks? And the blue snow is interesting. I haven't seen that before. I will get back to my CC blocks too. I'm going to be watching the grandkids for 5 days so I may not get much sewing done next week. Then we are visiting the other two kids after that. I decided to continue on with a large CC quilt even if I go through this year. No pressure. Enjoy your week Lesley. Wonderful work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do love your Santa. I could probably come back on March 1 and show you the unopened pattern.....giggle. Still haven't decided on a fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Santa Lesley! Such old world charm and your stitching is exquisite! It's great to have good friends in blog world, isn't it! Your little Mill Girls quilt is just as cute as a button! I have problems with my camera giving me the right color too - it's frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Santa is just lovely and the little quilt is gorgeous , you have lots of handwork to keep you busy and happy today ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all your bits and pieces of the moment. My Country Charmer pattern still hasn't arrived,so I am going to be way behind everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, you have been busy! Your redwork Santa is wonderful... embroidery is such a relaxing way to spend time. Love the little Mills Girls, and the fabrics are delicious! I've been to Country Sampler in Spring Green just once... love that shop! Their website is wonderful too. I love how the are constantly changing things up in the shop, and the kits they put together are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your Santa! Brought back memories of all of the Santa's I made for a snuggle quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of beautiful stitching Lesley. Santa is wonderful. Love your pieced quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so full of inspiration! I love the Santa! And the little quilts are wonderful. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the stitchery. I was taught embroidery by my mother years ago but I think the only stitch I was taught was like a stem stitch and a french knot. So my red work pattern I have been doing seems kind of blah. Maybe I need to learn the other stitches and it will be nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always love redwork! Cute Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What fun - there is always something great going on at your house, Lesley! I love to do redwork as well! Don't you just love the Country Sampler? That shop is definitely on my bucket list of quilt shops to visit one day!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great Santa block. I have not done any red work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the Santa. I made a similar one several years ago from a magazine and I love to hang it each December. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice Santa Lesley, I have done a little more on mine, need to get going again. Love your country charmer blocks

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh goodness that Santa is just super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love that Santa. Their designs are always so fun. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I always love to see your stitchery.You do such a great job with them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am catching up a little late. I love Birdbrain Designs. She has so many wonderful ideas and of course all the Christmas ones are my favourites. Your Santas are wonderful. Lovely work. Good luck with your quilting and your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lesley you are so productive and as always, such interesting posts! Love your redwork Santa! Your Mill Girls is also looking good,it sounds like a neat club to join - lucky you could do it via post. Every time I see your Country Charmer I melt inside and wish I had joined in, but know I wouldn't have kept up (even the sidebar button does it to me!)Wow - blue snow!! Have a nice day:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!