Thursday, March 14, 2013

Baskets and a Summer Day

Believe it or not, the snow is actually melting today. We still have snow banks, but with the rain earlier this morning, and now the sun, the mounds of snow are shrinking quickly. With shrinking snow comes thoughts of Spring, and with Spring comes baskets!  "Basket Blocks Galore", according to Sandi at Sandra Kaye Designs.  She and I have been exchanging little 4.5" baskets for some time now.  Today I received my monthly batch of 5 blocks from Sandi and laid them out on the table with all the blocks that we have made in our exchange so far. 


Every month (or when we can fit it in!) we make 10 basket blocks, 5 pairs of twos. We send 5 blocks away and keep the 5 duplicates at home. This month Sandi made blocks with her favorite colour...


and I made a mixed batch...


We now have 50 blocks and will continue the exchange a little longer. It's time to start looking at settings and figure out how these little baskets will become a quilt. Thanks, Sandi, for suggesting this exchange. Just look at how far we've come!

In the theme of seasons, I did pull out my Summer Day Schnibble quilt that I started last year as part of the Another Year of Schnibbles(AYOS) Quiltalong hosted by Sinta at The Pink Pincushion and Sherri at A Quilting Life.  I remember cutting all the fabrics one day, then I spent a couple of days sewing the flying geese units, and that was it...life got too busy and my Summer Day Schnibble was tucked away in a distant cupboard. 


Until last week, when I was inspired yet again by Schnibble quilt designer Carrie Nelson herself of Miss Rosie's Quilt Company. Awhile back I had participated in the final parade of AYOS.  Sinta and Sherri hosted it and posted the pictures we sent to them of our favorite Schnibble quilt, which I did, and you can read about it HERE.  I was selected in a random drawing as one of three to receive a jelly roll from Carrie. Well, I received the jellyroll, and so much more. I should have known when I saw the label on the box that I was in for a big surprise...



This box was filled to the brim with treasures that included two jellyrolls, Avalon by Fig Tree and Co., and Snap Pop by Sandy Gervais, both the large and small size Crumbler ruler specially designed by Carrie, the Fit to be Geese ruler designed by Monique at Open Gate Quilts, and two little Moda Bakeshop boxes.  These little boxes are so cool...each includes 3 mini-charm packs and a mini-roll of lights and darks with a pattern for two versions of a mini-quilt 26" x 26".  And you know how much I love mini-quilts! 




The mini-charms are a great way to see what's in a line of fabric. I received Cattails and Clover by Kansas Troubles Quilts, Birchbark by Holly Taylor, Late Bloomers by Sandy Gervais, Etchings by 3 Sisters, Butterscotch and Rose by Fig Tree and Co., and Circa 1934 by Cosmo Cricket. I am so grateful and spoiled and inspired and will be a follower of Carrie forever. Thank you Miss Carrie! Carrie is one of the most generous and kind quilt designers that I have come in contact with. She is just a doll and included a wonderful personal note to me that I will treasure as well.

So where am I with Summer Day?  After Carrie's box arrived, I went to my cupboard and found my Summer Day project.  I started trimming my orange geese...



my green geese...



and my blue geese...

Together they definitely remind me of a Summer Day...

My next step is to put the sashings on the geese and sew them together.  A quilt in the making, and you can be sure I'll show you the quilt when it is finished.

Carrie now has her patterns available from Miss Rosie's Shop as a PDF. I love being able to shop in the wee hours of the morning...the pattern gets delivered right to my inbox! 

Before I go, I want to show you my finished Mill Girls quilt designed by Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts. I decided to quilt around the HSTs, make squares in the connector blocks, and quilt parallel lines in the borders. The sun was really shining the day I took the picture and washed out the quilt a little...in "real life" the colours are stronger and brighter. You can read more about the quilt HERE.




It's a great day for quilting!

30 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt basket blocks! And how exciting to be the lucky recipient of these fine goodies! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely basket blocks, these will really make a sweet quilt ! Congrats on the lovely goodies too , you will have lots of fun with those :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the basket goodness! Congrats on the win and such goodies. Your Summer geese look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful win and I love your baskets. Fill one with M&Ms and it will be all set for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my~ how sweet was that box of quilty goodness? I am such a fan of Schnibbles, charms and mini charms! Just love having a whole collection of fabric in a tiny package. Summer Day is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much wonderful things to comment on.. but your basket quilt is going to be just gorgeous! I too love the Scnibbles and you Summer day is going to be a beautiful eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful baskets.
    Greetings Grit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your little basket blocks and WOWSER ! That sure is a Great Box of goodies to play with !

    ReplyDelete
  9. love all your little baskets can't wait to see it finished

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love baskets blocks and those minis are sweet.
    Liking those geese too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful array of baskets! I love the mix.
    Oh, that goodie box from Carrie--what a marvelous bunch of fun! The bakeshop boxes sound like a great idea. Who can resist a mini?
    Your little Mill Girls quilt is beautiful. Love Pam's designs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your basket blocks. It is going to be a beautiful quilt. There is always so many wonderful things happening in your sewing place Lesley. Hope Spring gets a wriggle on for you.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that was a great win! So much more to your prize. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All those sweet little baskets...yummy! What an awesome quilt they will make. Can't wait to see Summer Day come together. The fabrics are just perfect. Nice win too!
    Wonderful finish on Mill Girls. Love how you quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely quilt, Lesley! I really love whatcha got goin' on with a Summer's Day. Love those colors and always love geese!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...so much fun. I love the baskets. That will make an awesome quilt. Your box of goodies is spectacular as are all of the geese.

    I like the way you quilted the last quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a clever way to build up a collection of small basket blocks! They will make an awesome quilt. I'd say you scored big time with the gifts from Carrie! Keep us posted on what you make. Great fabric for Summer Day... makes me think of sunshine and rainbows!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your baskets do remind me of spring. Thankfully the snow is practically gone to but the wind some days is still pretty chilly. That is some awesome box you received. Congrats on all the goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. uch a lovely quilt, Lesley! I really love whatcha got goin' on with a Summer's Day. Love those colors and always love geese!

    Villas in Tuscany

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard about your little baskets exchange and now I see them. How cool and cute they are! That is going to make one darling quilt when you decide you have enough of them.

    And what treasures you received from Carrie. I think she is one of the most generous and talented designers out there. The proof is in the pudding just by seeing all the goodies you received from her.

    Another cute little quilt to grace your new doll bed(s). Love it and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lucky lady and you are so prolific with your quilting. Love the last quilt and the baskets are going to make a great quilt in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt is going to be very pretty. Love the goodies too. Spring will be nice I am sure. Oh, I ordered a new bssket pattern of Lynns. I want to make those patterns too. Have a nice sewing week end.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh....love love love the baskets

    ReplyDelete
  24. What neat little basket blocks and wow did you receive some great goodies. I know you will make some wonderful projects with them and your flying geese are great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea to do a basket exchange - it must be fun not knowing what you're going to get, then ooh and ahh when they come! You really hit the jackpot with Carrie, Lesley! Wonderful package - you'll have so much fun with it all! Your Mill Girls quilt is so pretty! I wouldn't have thought to combine the colors and it works so well!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your post was just a feast for the eyes! You've been so busy Lesley. You've received treasures and made some treasures of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a wonderful posst!! Love all your basket blocks and what a wonderful win from Carrie!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The basket block swap is a great idea - your pile of baskets will make such a lovely quilt. Cute wee size. And your prize sounds amazing!1 Congratulations on your win!! Your Mill Girls is another great finish - I like the dark (is it a black print?) border. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have LOVED making and trading blocks with you!!!! I think these quilts will be wonderful when done!! As I see them layed out above..the yellow one really stands out...I need to make a few more ..so they will be all over and not just one :):) Maybe my next batch will be yellow:):) Hugs my friend:):)

    ReplyDelete
  30. It must be fun to see the little basket blocks arrive in the mail each month.
    Enjoy all of your well deserved loot. I love Carrie Nelson and her sweet Rosie. I have only made one Snibbles quilt, but it was fun and one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!