Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Christa Quilts and I Do Too!

Awhile back, I discovered a new-to-me blog and started following Christa Quilts. You know by now that I love all types of quilts, including traditional, civil-war, modern, trendy, and even wonky! Christa Quilts is such a fun blog to follow...she admits to traditional roots, yet embraces modern and contemporary in her quilting style. 

One day I noticed Christa was having a quiltalong for a quilt she called "Sea of Squares", approximately 51" x 60", the perfect sized cuddle quilt. 



At first, I watched with delight from the sidelines as the quilt started to take shape. The supply list called for only 4 charm packs and a little binding. Her choice of Deb Strain's "Seascapes" fabric was just so perfect for the quilt...fresh, bright, and colourful, very reminiscent of the colours I saw during my childhood summers at the beach. I continued to watch the QAL from afar for a few weeks, but then I could watch no more.  I wanted to make that quilt with that fabric! Much to my delight, Christa Quilts is also the name of her online quilt shop that you can visit HERE. You'll also see her button on my sidebar. In a matter of a few clicks, the kit including that gorgeous sea-themed fabric was on its way to my house in Nova Scotia. 

Within a few days of its arrival, I had the quilt pieced, thanks to the excellent instructions and pictures of each step that Christa posted HERE. The "Sea of Squares" quilt reminds me of the colours of sea glass, especially the sea glass found on our beach walks when I visit my sister's cottage in New Brunswick on the Northumberland Strait. Unfortunately I think the beach glass is probably covered by snow these days!




The quilt top looks very relaxed on the couch. 



It took no time at all to cut the fabrics...



and to sew the blocks together.



Some of the fabrics are just so darn cute. Seashells...



and sand dollars...


and even maps and "sea" words! 



Christa finished her quilt with machine-quilted straight line stitching and it looks amazing. Her machine quilting tutorial is excellent so this little quilt top of mine is also going to be machine quilted by me, myself, and I. Will keep you posted!

Christa recently started another QAL. Her "Hugs 'n Kisses" Quilt is 48"x 64" and uses one jelly roll with some background and binding fabric. Below is a picture of the quilt from her first post HERE, complete with the supply list. This is just one of several versions you can make. And "you-know-who" just received some jelly rolls in the mail, so this just might be my next quilt!



In addition to piecing my Sea of Squares, I had a mini-marathon in my sewing corner this weekend. I put the binding on two quilts, so they are totally finished. I'll just show you one finish today as this post is getting a little long and my eyelids are starting to droop...

Below you will see the pictures of my completely finished "Wonky World  House Quilt", a quilt made from a wonky house block exchange I participated in last year. The exchange was very successfully coordinated by Jane at Jane's Fabrics and Quilts. She was awesome with keeping us all in line, encouraging us, and looking after the mailing of all those blocks back and forth and to almost every corner of the globe. By the way, Jane is also the very accomplished host for Madame Samm's Stitch Me Up Blog Hop that starts tomorrow. See the schedule HERE.

My wonky house blocks came from across the world. There is a Flickr page HERE where you can see all the wonkiness!  I kept the wonky theme in the quilt, choosing to piece the back with signature blocks from the 12 quilters (including mine), wonky star blocks, colourful 4-patches from another exchange, and a few orphan blocks from my stash. Recently I put the pedal to the medal and machine quilted the quilt in a cross-hatch pattern. This past weekend I finished the quilt off with the binding. Here goes...no words needed...















It's a great day for quilting!

19 comments:

  1. Wow! You have been busy! All of your quilt projects look so fantastic. I especially love the wonky house blocks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fabulous eye candy on your blog! A lovely finished quilt and a very pretty finished top...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely projects as always. Your wonky house quilt turned out so super and love how you incorporated the swappers into the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure enjoyed seeing your pieces. I really love your sea quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely LOVE!! you sea quilt!! I will pop over and see her info on that quilt..I have been itching for something new and quick to make. :):) Thanks for the inspiration:):) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! So much to comment on! The Sea of Squares quilt is magnificent! It makes me wish I grew up near a seaside beach! The Hugs and Kisses quilt looks very inviting... thanks for the link to Christa. The Wonky House quilt is so fun! What a great idea you had to finish the back of it the way you did... such creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Lesley, I just LOVE your Sea of Squares quilt! The fabric colors are fabulous. And it's wonderful that you've finished your wonky house/stars quilt! A perfect bright border and binding fabric. Wow, girl, your handwriting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Lesley, you've been a busy girl while waiting for spring to arrive!! I am just loving your Sea of Squares quilt! It's very difficult to resist purchasing the fabric to make one, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh love the sea of squares especially in the blue and white. your wonky houses are wonderful they look like children's paintings, so cheerful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sea of Squares is a beautifully, calm and happy quilt.
    How fun the Wonky houses turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sea quilt is absolutely lovely. The blues are some of the prettiest I've seen for a long time. I can see why you just couldn't resist.
    Cool, funky, impressive, wonky houses. It sounds like the swap was well organized--a great success, and so is your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Busy girl Lesley.The sea quilt is wonderful,and I love the houses.A house or beach hut quilt is on my list .....
    As always your quilts are a joy to see.
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lesley, you have been a busy lady, they all look wonderful as usual!
    Have a nice day, Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the head's up about Christa's QAL Lesley! I joined up and look forward to making a Hugs 'n Kisses quilt - I just love that pattern! And what can I say about your Wonky Houses quilt but WOW!!! That is just the cutest quilt I've seen in a long time - way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a piecing bee these days , wow , lots of accomplishments,love the new sea glass quilt , so calming in those soft pretty colors. I also love the wonky house quilt , quite a history in these blocks , a really special keepsake :-) Great work Lesley !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your sea glass quilt. The colors are so pretty. The wonky house quilt is so much fun! That one would make me smile each time I looked at it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that Sea quilt too!! I have the charm packs ready to go but not the time. Oh Lesley, it is hard to get these quilt alongs done sometimes and I am so stubborn wanting to use the whole line. Your houses quilt is adorable. It woud be perfect for a young one, one day. I love the quilting you did too. Your work is just wonderful and you say such nice things on other blogs. You are such a sweetheart. Thank you for your encouraging words to others.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. You've got two lovely projects here. I really like the WOnky house one! congrats. And thanks to the link to the Christa's blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh wow, all those lovely colours quilts and stitches

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!