Sunday, March 31, 2013

Country Charmer Update for April

I'm publishing this post a little earlier than April 1...you'll see why at the end of the post. Read on...

Today is the day of the monthly Country Charmer Quiltalong progress report. Designer Lynn at Sew'n Wild Oaks  has inspired us every step of the way. Last week she posted a pic of the stunning quilting stitches she is doing with her long arm machine. Make sure you visit her to see her CC eye candy that is so amazing! 

If you have been working on your blocks this past month, make sure you link up below so that we can all share your excitement. If you don't have a blog, just send an email to myself or Lynn with your pictures attached and we will post for you. The link is open for about a week.

Can I hear applause please?  A little louder? I put the pedal to the medal and I finished all the rest of my Country Charmer blocks.  I now have twenty blocks made and ready for the next step.

Here is a peek at the remaining twelve blocks I made this past week. I declared a self-imposed Country Charmer mini-marathon in my sewing corner and worked only on CC blocks for a few days. I am so glad I did...I love each and every block!
















You might notice I added a few checks and plaids, like Ms. Lynn suggests. I ordered a package of these special fabrics, Cotton Pickin  Plaids, chosen by Ms. Lynn herself at In Between Stitches. Love the fabrics that arrived, and even found a few plaids and checks in my own stash! 

Yes, there was some pushing and prodding at times to make the pieces in my blocks fit. I tried to be very precise and following Lynn's suggestion, ordered the Marti Mitchell Corner Trimmer. It did help out a lot with precision, but sometimes I just went too fast and ended up "unsewing" a few seams. Ugh...My seam ripper worked overtime, so much so that I decided to purchase a new, super duper one.  It is called "Seam-fix" and is awesome. 

You rip out the stitches and then "erase" the threads away with the plastic cap. If you google the name, you will find video demonstrations like this one  HERE.  Once I saw it I just had to place an order! I purchased Seam-fix recently from the Fat Quarter Shop  and it does everything it is supposed to do.  It's a really cool gadget that is being very well used in my sewing corner.

My next challenge for the CCQAL is to choose the fabric for the 9-patch blocks and sashing.When I was cutting and arranging the pieces on Lynn's chart, I would be thinking the block was primarily red, blue, green or whatever, but once it was sewn together, very often another colour would dominate. So I guess you could say I have very eclectic blocks! I love the fabrics Lynn chose for her sashing and 9-patches and am very inspired to follow her lead.  Stay tuned for the next CC update on May 1.

Please leave a comment...I love hearing from you and always try to get back to you within a day or two.  But this time, you'll have to be patient. I may be a little distracted this coming week and may not have much time at the computer or with my sewing machine. You see, in the next twenty-four hours I will be doing this...

crossing the country from East to West to see DD and future SIL, arriving with some of this...

and will spend the week visiting, shopping, helping with the summer wedding plans...


 and just maybe visiting some of these...


It's a great day for quilting! See you when I get back!


23 comments:

  1. Love the CC blocks, have a safe trip and hope to see you sometime next week :0).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks - have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are beautiful! Have a very fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those blocks are just wonderful!!! Have a fabulous trip. It sounds like it will cover a lot of ground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are gorgeous!! It's difficult to be perfect when there are so many little pieces in a block. Have a wonderful time away!! Look forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous blocks Lesley! You know I love how you worked the plaids into the blocks. Have a wonderful trip and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! After making all of those gorgeous blocks you can really enjoy your time away... have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks are gorgeous - good on you for having a marathon sewing session and getting to that stage. Your new tools are interesting - we don't yet have a lot of those new items available here but I am sure they will arrive! I hope you have a fabulous trip - how exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These blocks are fabulous!...and are going to make into a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful blocks! I love this pattern, and you have some great fabric combos here. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks are so fantastic.

    Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing all of your blocks. they are looking great.
    Have a wonderful time with all the wedding plans and do enjoy the quilt stores!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Safe travels, my friend. Have a great time with your daughter and try to squeeze in some quilt shop hopping as well.

    Your blocks look fantastic. You can rest easy on your vacation knowing that they're done. DO you think they'll multiply while you're gone?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blocks are stunningly beautiful!!!!!!!!! I LOVE them!!! I too really like that seam ripper. I love the rubber end to grab the threads. My only tiny complaint is I wish to top fit over the end of the seam ripper. But it's not a deal breaker. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aren't your blocks beautiful? I'm looking forward to seeing your sashing decisions now.

    I hope you have a great week with your daughter and get lots of plans planned, shops shopped and lobsters eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I LOVE the colors you chose for your blocks! Each one is so very pretty - I can't wait to see what you chose for the sashing and borders! Wonderful, wonderful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blocks are stunning, absolutely lovely, Leslie. Those colors are so well chosen. I will check out that seam ripper too. Just working on my Mystery blocks has me seam ripping. Enjoy the time with your daughter. I look forward to your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful blocks Lesley , enjoy your trip and have fun with the wedding plans and of course shopping ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic blocks, Lesley! Have a great trip and if you have any lobster left over, you can always divert south a bit on your way home (wink)!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Exciting news!!! I will have to check out your special seam ripper. Have a great visit... lots of excitement and fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! Have a wonderful time visiting your family!!! I just absolutely love all your CC blocks Lesley!!! I just noticed this morning how similar the CC blocks are to Bonnie's Jared Takes a Wife blocks - that may be why I am so drawn to these every time I see them on your blog :*) This is going to be such an awesome quilt when you are done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!